Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have had My 156 for the last few months, all has been good, but now it is giving me grief...:eek:

It has started to suffer from lack of power, with the start up being rough, well it runs rough most of the time... :rant:

So I have recently taken out the coilpack, and spark plugs to give them a clean up, but never actually stripped the coilpack down, just removed oil and muck on plugs, put it all back and fired her up...

:eek: But now it seems to backfire when reved, also the smoke was major :mad:, smoke died down, and it still backfired, then after a while it ran rough but reasonable, if that is possible...

The start up is the main issue.

So I done the next thing I new or heard, which was to replace/change the coilpack, which I did, but it still backfires for a while, then settles again... :confused:

So what could be wrong with it, or have I been unfortunate to get hold of another dodgy coilpack, or is the problem just one of the coilpacks and leads maybe... ???

I have removed the standard Airbox, and replaced with a cotton bolt on, could this have anything to do with it, as the reason for replacing was due to the rough running, previous to the backfiring issue...

Any assitance would be appreciated...

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
As a first step, try unplugging the MAF, to see whether it makes any difference. Incidentally as a general rule, aftermarket air filters are more likely to cause problems than cure them....particularly K&N type "oiled" filters - they can kill MAFs very quickly.

When you say you replaced the coilpack - do you mean just one, or all four?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Replace all four coil packs mate. If you need to change 1 then you change them all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a first step, try unplugging the MAF, to see whether it makes any difference. Incidentally as a general rule, aftermarket air filters are more likely to cause problems than cure them....particularly K&N type "oiled" filters - they can kill MAFs very quickly.

When you say you replaced the coilpack - do you mean just one, or all four?
Hiya,

Yes I relaced all 4 of them... but as for unplugging MAF, then I'll try that, cause it worked on a Scooby I had, then eventually replaced it.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tryed unplugging MAF, but ran aweful...

Hiya,

Yes I relaced all 4 of them... but as for unplugging MAF, then I'll try that, cause it worked on a Scooby I had, then eventually replaced it.

Cheers,

Mike
Hiya, me again...

I tryed removing the MAF, but it idled and ran terrible, so it isn't that responsible for the backfiring...

I removed all Coil Packs and leads again a couple more times and randomly changed positions of the packs, also using the old ones I had to try and narrow it down to what coil/coils could be causing the problem, but I just seemed to make it worse...:rant:

Is there a test I can do myself to attempt to find the coil/coils which are causing the problem... :confused: rather than taking it to a garage and being ripped off for something hopefully simple to resolve...

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya, me again...

I tryed removing the MAF, but it idled and ran terrible, so it isn't that responsible for the backfiring...

I removed all Coil Packs and leads again a couple more times and randomly changed positions of the packs, also using the old ones I had to try and narrow it down to what coil/coils could be causing the problem, but I just seemed to make it worse...:rant:

Is there a test I can do myself to attempt to find the coil/coils which are causing the problem... :confused: rather than taking it to a garage and being ripped off for something hopefully simple to resolve...

Regards,

Mike
Me again... Happy new Year, by the way.

I think I have found out the problem with the whole backfiring thing...:)

I looked at the packs more closely and found they are all bloomin cracked, so I have had to put out a part request for some more...:rant:

Does that sound like the reason for the problem I described... ???

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya,

Here are the pics...

Coil Pack.jpg

You can see the Cracks very clearly, both sets are like this...:rant:

Regards,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ohh yeah blimey, that would certainly cause some arcing, you can always test each coil pack by taking it out, disabling the injector for that cylinder, put spark plug in boot and earth the outside of spark plug conductor to engine block. Get another cable earthed to engine block, and with the engine running, run the end of the other earthed cable along the coil boot and casing with about an inch gap (important you dont make contact) and see if there is any arcing where you're running the earth cable along, this is a clear indication for any voltage leaks.

I havent tested this with the T.Spark engine, im sure there's a way of doing it. But I advise if you or anyone else reading this is going to do this then I advise to watch the test being done by professionals on YouTube, such as realfixesrealfast or EricTheCarGuy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohh yeah blimey, that would certainly cause some arcing, you can always test each coil pack by taking it out, disabling the injector for that cylinder, put spark plug in boot and earth the outside of spark plug conductor to engine block. Get another cable earthed to engine block, and with the engine running, run the end of the other earthed cable along the coil boot and casing with about an inch gap (important you dont make contact) and see if there is any arcing where you're running the earth cable along, this is a clear indication for any voltage leaks.

I havent tested this with the T.Spark engine, im sure there's a way of doing it. But I advise if you or anyone else reading this is going to do this then I advise to watch the test being done by professionals on YouTube, such as realfixesrealfast or EricTheCarGuy.

Hope this helps.
Hiya again,

yes that did help... I have different Coil packs in now, even still 3 out of 4 were cracked the same as my pics earlier...:confused:

Seems that as it wasn't run for a couple of days, it started coughing and spluttering, so went for a long'ish drive... it then seemed to settle down, also some of the power it lost is back, although it drops occasionally.

So I'll see how it goes. :p

Just for curiosity, does anybody know how much a new set of coil packs would be, as it seems I will prolly have to get em sooner rather than later...!!!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
936 Posts
Found some Bosch ones on here for £120 each, but I'm sure you can shop around your local car parts place for cheaper, but you wont be looking more than £120 each and that's about standard for Bosch coil packs on any car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Me again,

Now waiting for my 3rd set of Coilpacks, cause all the other 2 sets have all been cracked, like in my pics in previous post... So if these other packs are all ok, but If still get the backfire/missfire, is there another possible reason that causes it..??

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Watch out for backfiring on the TS .. the inlet manifold is plastic and if it does get fuel and ignites it can split the manifold. And it's normally underneath where you can't see.

·
Registered
936 Posts
you said that you took the spark plugs out and cleaned them, i asked in a previous post 'what did you clean them with?'

Question is: how old are the plugs, and if you cleaned them with a wire brush, you could have scratched the electrode tip.
I would recommend on changing the spark plugs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you said that you took the spark plugs out and cleaned them, i asked in a previous post 'what did you clean them with?'

Question is: how old are the plugs, and if you cleaned them with a wire brush, you could have scratched the electrode tip.
I would recommend on changing the spark plugs.
Hiya,

Yes cleaned em all and checked the gap on them to... but as for damaging them, it was doing this all before I cleaned them, which is the reason I done all the cleaning...
Got my others I was waiting for, put em in and it started well, idle was all good, but when I put my foot on gas, as if you would when driving, then all the popping and banging started... so it seems that it wasn't a backfire....

The Coilpacks I got today, I checked em thoroughly and no cracks before putting them in.

After the above happened again, they were all cracked, so there must be another problem, which is blowing them....:rant:

Any Ideas, cause I'm not spending out on brand new ones, if they just gonna go the same way.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
936 Posts
You say that the replacement coil packs cracked again after you installed them?

if so, there must be something like an earthing issue on where the coil packs are bolted to the earthing plate.

something is causing the ramped voltage to not completely discharge to the spark plug, therefore cracking the plastic case maybe. i can't be sure as it's hard to determine on here.

there are spark plug testers you can buy online for £5 which you put inline of the coil pack and plug.

HTH

·
Registered
148 Posts
Where the coil pack sit there is a little wire with a end that you need to bolt down. There are 3 bolts that hold the plate down and the one on the right is the bolt for the earth.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts