Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a Dyno run at APC earlier today. This is them Advanced Performace Centre , and they are using Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer.

I got 209.8 HP (156.4kw) at the wheels

The car is pretty much stock standard apart from the air intake. Everything else I've done is pretty much maintenance.

- BMC Air Filter Element
- Replaced the plastic pipe with Custom Stainless Steel pipe from air box to Throttle Body
- Replaced the plastic pipe before the air box with 90deg bend pipe to feed cold air from the front of the car (grill)
- Cambelt/Sparkplugs/Oil was done just recently
- Cleaned fuel injection system twice, with kerosene
- Cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner

I'm pretty happy with the results & it was what I expected. I think that the intake mod has made a little difference. Well, I certainly could feel that the throttle response was better and that it was pulling better, so there you go.

I will post the graph and pics of the intake mod later.

Well what do you guys think?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So what would that be at the flywheel??? do you know? (but yeah good result :thumbs:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just uploaded intake images. As soon as they get approved by the mods I will link them here :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is my result what 3.2 GTA's usually get?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can't remember the WHP off the top of my head, but that certainly sounds like a respectable figure.

244.2222 FHP would be the result from your car.

Using the WHP + 10 / 0.9 Formula.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised here are the pics:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Hi Lemi,
Can I ask where you got the induction mod pipes from?
Cheers
Vince
:thumbs:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used CRC MAF Cleaner. Here is the linky:
MAF Sensor Cleaner from CRC

The Stainless Steel intake pipe was custom made by a friendly local fabricator that does a lot of jaw dropping exhaust and intercooler set-ups for shows as well as racing.

There is a bunch of guys over at Ausalfa, and few from here that are interested in the pipe as well, so maybe I will organise a group buy. The 90" bend pipe I got from a local hose/pipe supplier.

I've just learned how Bellmouth can increase flowrate to the intake pipe by 25%, so I'm in a process of designing/sourcing one. Will post it up here when I do.

Here is one article on the bellmouths but there are numerous: Browser Warning

Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More info:

The sharpness of the radius of the lip that surrounds a bellmouth is important. If it is too tight, the airflow ‘unsticks’ on the transition around the corner and the intake flow is reduced.

In Axial Flow Fans and Ducts (R. Alan Wallis, 1983, John Wiley and Sons, ISBN 0-471-87086-2) the minimum radius of the bellmouth lip is specified as being best between 0.25 and 0.3 times the diameter of the tube. So for example, a 7.5cm tube should have a bellmouth that has a radius of curvature that is 1.9 – 2.3cm. (Where did these figures come from? 7.5 x 0.25 = 1.9, and 7.5 x 0.3 = 2.3).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW, I made a new 100mm bellmouth intake. May I also add that 156 GTA intake has much smaller bellmouth than the 147 GTA.

I'll posts some pics soon I hope.

·
Registered
900 Posts
interesting mate, keep us informed on the bellmouth

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the finished result. The bellmouth is not to the spec, but at 100mm pipe is more than enough. I think it creates positive pressure at almost any speed
DSC01270.jpg

Here is the comparo of my intake pipe vs 147 GTA vs 156 GTA
DSC01259.JPG

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ane here is my intake pipe vs 147 GTA
DSC01263.JPG

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Looking good Lemi :thumbs:
Thanks for all the information you are giving us on this :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries, I enjoy it :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts