Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i rev up to 5900 rpm the car feels like the rev limiter is kicking in and wont let the car excelerate any more than that. the engine managment light comes on as well. but if i drive normally after that and re start the car the engine managment light go's off.
do's anyone know what this could be before i take it for a diog as that is £50 before any work has even been done.:cry:
any help would be appreciated.
hopefully its something i can sort out myself.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
My guess would be the MAF.

Try unplugging it and going for a drive. The injector light will come on, but if the car drives better then it is faulty. :)

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
I'd guess MAF too. Unplug it and see how it feels, and report back. For your information, the plug you need to remove is found in the air intake pipe, just above the air filter box.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd guess MAF too. Unplug it and see how it feels, and report back. For your information, the plug you need to remove is found in the air intake pipe, just above the air filter box.
excuse my ignorance. but what the hell is a MAF and where can i find it. and if it is that any idea how much it is for a new one. cheers for the help.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
It is the Mass Air flow meter.

It tells the engine how much air is being sucked in so that it can add the correct amount of fuel.

Unplugging it puts the car into limp home mode.

I am not sure where to get one for the best price, but don't buy one from ebay and make sure it is a genuine bosch. Pattern ones normally don't work.

I will try an post up a picture to show you where it is.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Mass Air Flow meter, it sits in the air intake ducting between the Air box and throttle body, but I'm thinking it's more likely the coil packs or a plug, the engine will limit itself lower though if it detects a fault in the management or ignition so a Diag is always worth it, but £50 must be a man stealer, seek out an Alfa Indy near you, they'll be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go... :)

You can just make out the yellow circle between the engine and the battery.
thanks a lot for your help. i will give it a go in the morning when i can see exactly what im doing. ill give you an update tomorrow as soon as i have done it. (hope this works)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts