Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Spent a bit of time today with my 156, dealing with a few bits and have come up with a "fix list", any thoughts for any of these?

1) Bloody exhaust! Down-pipe (CF3) with broken flexi bit (at the
front), rest of pipe & cats are fine but no local garage will agree to
try and do a repair...
2) Plastic engine under tray, I've removed it because it partly fell off
and snapped several of the fixings - is it important and do I need
to get a new one?
3) Airfilter box - 2 screws have rusted away (still in treaded hole,
but heads rusted) so the filter isn't sitting flat within the box, is
this important and should I fix it?

Any advice and any one want to come to Farnborough and fix my exhaust?!!!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Try ebay for exhaust flexi sections. It is suprising what you can find. ;)

The undertray getting broken is very common. Many people run without it with no problems, although aluminium ones are available. Try the search function.

The airbox having broken screws is also common.
On my last 156 I drilled out the screws, then I pushed in M8 stainless bolts from underneath (so they point upwards) and then I filled around them with chemical metal. The top bit was then held on with stainless steel nuts and washers..

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
My 156 hasn't got an undertray, i assume a previous owner took it off. Also got the airbox problem, mine is zip tied on which works fine!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just hoping Smaky will read this and reply "drive your car over here, I know the exhaust will be red hot but I can fix it no problems for X number of beer tokens while you wait"!!!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
flexisection from ebay seller

rmcatalysts

I buy 50mm x 200mm clamp/weld type & then get my friend to tig weld the replacment part in place. :thumbs:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ordered the flexi section from RM Catalysts via Ebay yesterday, just before 12 and it was here waiting for me this morning!

Perfect, should be fitted tonight if it warms up a bit (slight frost this morning!!!).

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i ordered 2 on Friday & they were delivered to my home in Ireland yesterday :) excellent service.

what size did you buy?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exhaust is now sorted, couple of evenings graft and she goes like a bullet now! Plus the broken air box makes her sound fab... But I'm guessing I'll have to sort that next.

·
0 Posts
Yeah you want the car breathing correctly :)

No undertray on my V6, but am thinking of adding one to keep the engine bay cleaner :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest problem since the exhaust has been fixed and the car is quiet...

But now I can hear the engine all I get is a tappety noise More often than not I can hear what sounds like the result of a sticky lifter - I have checked the oil (recent oil change and right amount), cambelt was 2 years ago and 12K miles...

Is this an easy fix? (2001 1.8TS).

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Along with the above I have just noticed the yellow engine light come on - car is working fine but before I go mad... Could it be the lamba probe connectors, one of the clips snapped when I removed them to change the exhaust?

Above rattle is starting to worry me...

Help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts