Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been thinking about starting a thread about my car so that i could answer all questions that might arise and at the same time get help on all the small thing i might over see and would not be aware of... there is a alot, so i hope it isnt boring, i find it real intresting though.. the story of my 147 gta 3.7.

it all started a few years ago while i was still driving my new citi golf 1.4i, and getting close to completing my degree, my dad came across this alfa 147 gta

not knowing what a gta really was, but say that it was a 3.2 as shown on the motor, my dad deciede to get it from me. from what we could see, the right front rim was damaged and the front control arm with the wishbones was damaged along with the front right fender. other than this, the whole car was in good condition with literally no damage!

Knowing this, we got the car (my dad wouldnt tell me how much since it was like a gift from him) we got the parts to fix it up and get it on the road. there were a few problems with the wiring and start up as well with items such as the air flow sensor and the engine didnt want to start due to what the auto electrician said was a chip that he had to bypass (still mysteriously bypassed till now i think).

i was still in durban then studying while all this was going on at my hometown of newcastle. anyway, i got really excited when i heard that the car was actually going to be mine, since i vaguely remeber reading it in the speed and sound magazine and all the good the things its good at doing (not forgetting the time the 3.7 got, faster than the m3 at that time around the track).

Well, then comes my 1st heart break. The car was ready and needed to be licensed that day my bro decieded to take it for a test drive, and not knowing what he was in for until he drove straight into the back of a bakkie deploying the airbags, locking up the seatbelts and also damaging the whole front bumper along with the headlights, the two fenders and a few other items that i might not have seen.

This made it frustrating and the cars just sat in the yard for about a year before i came one december holidays and persuaded my dad into getting the car on the road again. we couldnt really source a real front bumper for the gta along wit the headlights and fenders that would seem economically viable for the car how it was, so we got the standard 147 front bumper and headlights which seemed to work fine :) we also got new airbag modules, which just sliped into place perfectly and released the seatbelts after a few hours of fidgeting. i satrted becoming acoustomed to how the italians think when they designed this car being complex in many ways, yet alot of things are sourced from the same designs they have in their older cars.

And like 6months down the line, near the end of 2008, i finally got the car on the road, licensed and moving, which is literally when i couldnt get over the car! the power, although not what it should be, was so addictive, with the 6 speed gear box and loads of torque i had to get used to, just made it alot more attractive. i didnt see myself wanting any other car!

On a certian last day in november of that very same year, i was on my way back to Durban, and bad luck hit again from where near my destination, i somehow managed to melt the pistons in my car. This was like certainly one of the worst feelings ever, nonethe less, this meant alot of hours and money to fix he again. i took it to a mechanic who did a service for me a month earlier, since he the only guy i knew that would do it, as the alfa centres would be so much of a hassle. anyways, after discovering the cause of the failure, which the mechanic said was due to the water pump packing up, the recovery cost was set at R48k. note that the 1st time i did discover that the car had a 3.7 modification on it was when the pistons failed and we opend it up, finding 101mm ross pistons done initially by oom Dawie. Time of delivery for the car was dependent over when he could source the parts. sadly, this took another 6-8 months, which just seemed an eternity to me, but the excitement was still there.

I finally got the car after that and after many difficulties with the mechanic, after i got the car back in my hands, i wouldnt want to give it back to him ever, he seemd quite dodgy. Driving the car around felt great until i noticed that the oil temperature used to always be too high around 100 degrees and sometimes even go too 120. I changed the oil and it seemed quite burnt and then i figured that the oil cooler required cleaning. i also noticed that the original 147 bumper does not have enough duct to allow for ventalation to the oil coolers, which in my head i felt was also the actual cause of the overheating and failing of the pistons.

Currently my car is in newcastle getting some fins cut into the bumper to allow better ventilation for the oil cooler, and i recently changed the cluth master and slave cylinders ( quite a tough job starting from scratch and having the aid of an old mech). There has also just the other day been an addition of a new set of tyres and last month as well, i put in a whole new front suspension (upper and lower).

I still donot know if the car has a Q2 diff or not, i did take it to a dyno one day and got 198kW. the car is black with a sunroof, full black leather interior, still smells like new, my current milage( as of just the other day) is around 26k kms. oh yes, the aircon works, though i think there is a slight leak since the after i filled gas, a week later it stopped cooling.

:) there probably alot more to tell that i may have missed out on which would come as i remember, and im certain i wouldnt mind telling. i would also like an opinions on this and possible help. i do have the old failed pistons at home, ill takes pics of those and of whatever i can get from the car as well.

thanx guys, let me know what you think.;)

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
wow there seems to be allot of history and allot of passion.. i saw a black GTA go past me the other day in fishers hill. lucky for you , in jozi there are plenty alfa makeys to help you out

G

·
That's one heck of a story. Had I not been driving an alfa myself I would say you're insane, but since that's not the case, I have to agree with Hygrade, true passion you have there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quite a story! You may get more help and answers if you post in the GTA section. Good luck with it all, they are great cars.

·
Registered
665 Posts
198kw.... With the exception of a few guys I think I can say.... we still hate you... LOL. If I was you I'd chuck the original bumper and get a Zender Kit.. But then again If I had a 3.7 I wouldn't have money for bumpers because of speeding fines..

·
Registered
7,640 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Hi mate...quite a story you have there, really hectic.A couple of questions, lol, you asked for it:thumbs:

1. Why not ask your dad to get the Full Service History of the car? That way you'll know what happened to it and why there's ROSS pistons in there, a 3.7 conversion is NOT merely a couple, 6 be be exact, 100mm Ross pistons...there will be other engine parts as well, and some work on the exhaust maybe, the 3.7 needs special oil as well mate!

2. 198kw - I hope this is at the wheels, even still, its TOO low to be a 3.7 - somethinf fishy boss, get that history!

3. if you REALLY want a GTA bumper and fenders, import it from EPER or from Australian Alfa Dealers...

4. When you have time some day I'll come help you make GTA headlights...easy as pie, I did mine - only condition is you give me a ride in that beast.

5. Q2 diff will spin both front wheels for a LONG TIME if pressed! Also, to find out if you have a Q2 - when pushing the car very hard like making a burnout, it will make a strange noise, go on youtube and type in Q2 diff noise or something...

6. If Dawie de Villiers did the motor I'm sure he'll be able to give you some history about the car and the owner and the engine and what exactly he did to it...that's your best bet.

Mate I hope you get some history on the car, some guys on here like ALFAQUAD and NO2OXIDE are mates with Dawie, maybe get in touch with them and ask them to ask Dawie about the car, MAYBE he knows...look, not to sound like a box (afrikaans) but a 3.7 should NOT make 198kw bra...more like 250kw.

I'll see if I can find you some GTA bumpers, but like I said, the headlights is not a problem, all you need is 3 hours and spray and beer - where are you now? Why not come to the meeting on the 6th of Feb and then we can inspect the car (meaning make burnouts:tut:) and give you some more helpfull advice...please jsut call Dawie asap and put in the CORRECT OIL for that 3.7 mystery...

CHeers mate, holla if you need help
Lance:)

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Nice one lance

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thanks for the post. Sounds like you had some real tough luck.

I'm pretty sure that the chaps in Jo'burg can sort you out with all the right info. I kinda understand your situation. If the car was in Newcastle, I know for sure that there is no one there that knows these sort of cars, therein lies your problem. Its really understandable that you had such issues.

You guys that live in JHB or Pretoria might not understand as much, only because you have so much choice and expertise all around you, us chaps down here are really limited and sometimes have to drive hundreds of km's just to get someone that knows atleast something on the newer models. We have guys that know the older models, but really limited for all the newer models.

Hope it all gets sorted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aahh, thanx guys... yeah, bit of tough luck hey... and Guilli, sounds awesome, i also felt that the 198 kW was lower than i expected, but i think its cos i havent touched anything on the feuling side from the time we got the car started again, maybe its that chip that the auto elec bypassed. i was indeed planning on speaking to Dawie about the car as soon as i get the car back up and running to an extent, hopefully it would be ready enough to make the trip back to jhb in two weeks time, if so then i would be much obliged to meet everyone on the 6th.
i am using Castrol fully synthetic 5W - 40 Oil in my car at this moment though.

Tanx alot about helping me out to do the gta lights, i would definately take you up on that offer!

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
hmmm im really not sure about that 5w - 40. we have had dscussions around oil and the V6 prefers 10w - 60 for spirited driving

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im off once again to newcastle this weekend to check on my bumper as well as hopefully bring it back. i hope to get some pics on the upgrades and certainly on points that i might think would be intresting.
ciao for now

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
goodmorinin guys, even though it isnt much of one for me..

i went down this weekend to finish up my car and bring it back with me to jozi, had a bit of a long weekend pushing for the work to be finished, and the car did look quite awesome. anyway, as i packed all my stuff and ready to go with number plate in the windscreen, the bumper paint just dried, i left back to jozi, only for one of my radiator pipes to burst as shown in the pic attached.

well, sad as it is, there has to be a cause, and plan of action from here... the cause my dad said that its building up too much pressure and this isnt good cos it does that when the head is usually gone... disheatening i tell you. well, for now the car is back in the garage at home (my bro and dad came and towed it away for me) my dad was kind enough to lend me his bakkie since i had to be back at work today.

wel, as i pomised, here are some pics of the car getting ready to be sprayed and the unfortunate burst pipe..

anyone that could understand why it was doing this please advise, and where should i try to take the car so i can get it sorted out properly.

thanx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Man that's bad luck. :cry:

You are one of the few ppl on here that have it worse than me. :eek: I bet everyone is telling you to sell it.

Did you pick up the burst pipe before it damaged the engine? :confused:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
ahhhahaa i dont feel so bad no more.. someone worse luck than me

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
luckily for me i was monitoring the water temp and oil temps (built in instincts) and at the first sign that it was ovr heating, i pulled of and switched the car off. the coolant is the flouresant green and i could see it all ovre the engine bay still so the pipe burst just shortly before i stopped.

yeah everione is telling me to sell if from a while now, the just adds to it... gosh, the car literally is ALMOST there but i guess itll take a cuple months before i can rake up enuf finance to do the head and stuff. maybe ill bring the car here with a roll back if i can and get it done, should be my best guess. im guessing that the best guy i should take it to sort it out would be oom dawie. any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Don't sell her!:mad:
Hang in there, it will be all worth it!!!
Like when you take you car away to get your calliper worm adjusted and get told that you need new callipers, new master servo and oh yes a new brake cable that only cost R140, but cause the cable lays next to the prop and on top of the exhaust its ONLY about a R1000 odd for labour...
In total the job is around so R5000, maybe....
:cry:
But I got it back (kinda working), she drivers, and more importantly stops now, lol! but she is a dream to drive... :inlove:
Don't give up on her.. hang in there...
:thumbs:

·
Registered
846 Posts
yusuf, before you think its the head first do a compression test on all the cylinders,this will give you a more accurate direction as to where the problem lies and a compression kit is not expensive and you can purchase it most auto spare shops.

secondly,is you thermostat okay, there's a possibility that it might be stuck closed hey thus causing the engine to overheat.

but like I said I would recommend that you do a compression test asap,I strongly believe if your head is gone then there will be tell tale signs like lumpy idling that does not go away for example.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aah, thanx PO. i will get the compression kit and other parts for the car (rad hose) and will do just that when i go home again, probably nd of the month, since iv been going home every weekend for the last month and am quite tired of travelling so im going to take a break on that for now.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts