Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my car back today from having some MOT repairs done - both front upper wishbones replaced, new cat, two new lamda sensors new handbrake cable and new back box. Yup, it failed that badly...:cry:

Well the car's obviously roadworthy now, buuut, I am now hearing a squeeky sort of noise from front offside suspension and still hearing a knocking noise from front end. Also upon startup it sounds terrible (like a diesel but louder) this noise continues quietly even after driving, throttle response is essentially non-existant and it just lacks power! Fuel consumption is actually ok, but it just feels limp and lifeless all the time.

I've only had the car two weeks, it's a 2001 147 TS 1.6, 114,000K on the clock and just wanted some technically minded advice with how I can bring my car back to life!!

Many thanks in advance! :)

C

·
0 Posts
Hmm I hope they used genuine bosch lambda sensor and genuine Alfa parts when they carried out the work because cheap wishbones fail and I know from experience. Lack of power I would go with dodgy MAF or fecked cat

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
rattle at startup and continues quietly, very buggered variator, totally buggered variator, and/or a dodgy MAF, or the timing is out? knocking id go with arb(drop) links:thumbs:

when was the cambelt last changed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a replacement variator indeed :) I'm not sure when belt was last changed tbh, may as well get that done with the variator and see what happens!

Been doing some good old research as well, might try cleaning the throttle body and MAF, along with engine flush, new plugs and top quality oil in there too!

Forgive my ignorance, - what's an arb link?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I hope they used genuine bosch lambda sensor and genuine Alfa parts when they carried out the work because cheap wishbones fail and I know from experience. Lack of power I would go with dodgy MAF or fecked cat
I was concerned about the brand of sensor too, should have asked...Gonna give the MAF a clean and take it from there. Still a bit sore from the MOT bill so would rather avoid buying a new MAF!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
try just unplugging it first, and see if it goes better at higher revs, it should if its that, but it will have trouble idling;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
dont forget when changing cambelt you need to change the balance shaft belt along with all idlers and tensioners and maybe wise to replace water pump too while having this work done. am just on with having all the same work done on my 147 2ltr ts and had great advise from other alfa owners on this forum. Good luck

R

·
0 Posts
dont forget when changing cambelt you need to change the balance shaft belt along with all idlers and tensioners and maybe wise to replace water pump too while having this work done. am just on with having all the same work done on my 147 2ltr ts and had great advise from other alfa owners on this forum. Good luck

No balance shaft on a 1.6 ts, water pump is a good idea if you dont know when belts where last done, most people recommend water pump is done every other belt change. knocking from front could either be anti roll bar bushes or anti roll bar drop links :thumbs:

Make shure you get the belts done at a Alfa indie, they need special tools to set the timing correctly and "normal" garages do not have them

Pop in here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/north-west/ there are plenty of recommended Alfa indies wherever you are in Lancs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts