Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yip. Seems like I broke the gearbox.

think I was a bit to windgat. Drove a bit hard in 1st gear changed to second.....
Then all of a second, there was no second.....
Heard a funny noise. And second gear miraculously re-invented itself and changed to neutral.
So when I am in second she idles.....
all other gears are fine she selects them well and drives. but there is a noise when driving in the gearbox. Something is rattling and does not sound very healthy.

I started this afternoon in stripping to remove the gearbox. Will proceed on Wednesday again when I am on rest days. The sub frame has to come off as well by the looks of it.
Does not seem so easy as removing an Uno Turbo gearbox.

So, At first I thought The 1st and 2nd gear selector might off broke but I have a funny feeling the entire second gear has stripped and died a horrible death....

Once the gearbox is out I will stripp it down and see what horrible fate is awaiting me.

Wish me luck guys.........:cry:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian.

Well to tell you the truth I in fact do have a brand new 145/146 gearbox still in its Fiat/Alfa crate.
Only problem it is lying at my friends house in Boksburg. I am in Oudtshoorn. about 1200km away. i must still make a plan to get it here but I actually want to get it to Hennie first so he can put the Uno Turbo 4th and 5th gear in that has the longer ratios like the current box in the 146 has.

I have a friend who gave me a twin spark box for free as well. But it is from a selespeed. So I am hoping that it is in fact only the second gear because I am sure the second gear from a selespeed box will fit mine or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Sorry Walter, but I told u guys, I went through 3 of those boxes. In my case I broke the 4th gear everytime.

Only the best synthetic gear oil will do and don't ever run it dry, as the bearings have plastic cages. If you use a 2nd hand gearbox replace the bearings the gears run on.

I did toy with the idea to make a adaptor plate to fit a v6 box, but never got there yet. The gear ratio of the 156 is great for a turbo 2.0 and the box is strong enough. But I am told a diesel belhousing fit the 2.0 engin and the gearbox.

The clutches differ in operation as well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corrie I suppose it is one of those things.
It is the second gearbox I brake in my life. First one was my Uno Turbo. I broke the diff.
Hennie changed the 4th and 5th gear with Uno Turbo gears for the longer ratios if I remember clearly.

While I am at this I am going to check the condition of the clutch as well.

It was over 35 degrees here today and I did not see chance to work in this weather. I did however manage to get some work done this afternoon. Only need to loosen the gear linkages and gearbox mount. then the box will come off.

So hopefully tomorrow morning the gearbox will be out and I can open it up and see what damage there is.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That gear box has all Uno Turbo inners. All the gear ratios are longer. As I said to you over the phone, I would open and see what went wrong instead of just replacing the box.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That gear box has all Uno Turbo inners. All the gear ratios are longer. As I said to you over the phone, I would open and see what went wrong instead of just replacing the box.
I am currently battling to open the box. Plenty little pieces of metal came out. Seems like a gear is stripped totally. Will post some pics shortly.
Currently it seems like a selector is stuck somewhere as the casing refuses to come off. it comes apart to a certain point where it gets stuck. Surgery will continue shortly again.:lol:

Once again thank you to Corrie, Hennie, Carlo Gertie and Perreby for all your assistance.
This is what I call a real Alfa family!
You guys are tops!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some photos:

Seems like pieces found its way into 5th gear thats why 5th gear is also broken I suppose...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pic Gertie. Now only if the damn casing can come off!
Then at least I asses the real damage.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You will have your new box next week:thumbs.
You see if the 2.0 box stayed oe it whould have survived Hennie :D
Or not:(
Put the new box in and if you really want a longer 5th put the Sele's in. Its easy with the box in position.

If we plan propperly and all work out according to plan i can drop the box off on Sunday:thumbs:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will have your new box next week:thumbs.
You see if the 2.0 box stayed oe it whould have survived Hennie :D
Or not:(
Put the new box in and if you really want a longer 5th put the Sele's in. Its easy with the box in position.

If we plan propperly and all work out according to plan i can drop the box off on Sunday:thumbs:
OOHHHHHHH Hennie gaan jou 'n mondvol gee......:lol::lol::lol:
Thats the plan. I want to pu:lol: the 5th gear from the selespeed into the box you are bringing down.
It has to work for now. The current box that broke I will take my time and source complete Uno Turbo internals and get it to what Hennie had it. i will fix it up and store it. I:lol:n case my foot gets heavy again. :cheese:

No I think Ive learnt my lesson now. I am 31 and play time is over. Enjoy the car for what it is and stop my dicing.

Thank you once again for everyone's time and effort to help me. It really means allot.:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Speak for yourself, I am almost double your age and I still do it. It is the brakefluid on the brain.
I've got petrol on the brain. It's worse than brake fluid because you break expensive things, fix them and then break them again. I don't know why I keep doing it but it's lekker! :cheese:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts