Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm sad to day after 12 great years motoring in my 145, it has failed the MOT quite badly on front chassis rust, I've kept it alive regardless of cost in the past, but this time it's just too much, what annoys me is the MOT centre could have let me know about this last year instead of just passing it, it's quite far gone and that doesn't just appear out of nowhere, I have little choice but to offer the car as one of the best donors around, in the past year I have done the cambelt on the 92k engine, rear shocks and discs, an alternator and front suspension mounts, I even put 2 new tyres on her last week ahead of the MOT, It's been a really great car to drive and will still pull to 134 on a track, and if any 145 owners want anything let me know fast. I will miss her but it's time to let go, any sympathy welcome,

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Such a shame, hopefully someone will be able to save it as it looks like a good example of an increasingly rare model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
45,047 Posts
Definitely a shame. My 145QV is right up there with the GTA as cars that I miss after selling.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have listed the car on ebay but doubt there will be much interest, if anyone knows of any 145 owners close to London who may need some parts do send them my way, the only thing I can think of is rhd drive lights are not available, the boot lights always break, and I have 2 alloys with brand new tyres. Unfortunately it can't stay on my drive forever and If I was a mechanic and had space I would break it up, but that's not an option. I will post in the 145 forum too. I still have a gtv so you won't be getting rid of me yet.

·
Premium Member
45,187 Posts
You can't scrap it if it just needs a bit of welding. Hopefully someone will take it on as a fixer upper. There is no money in breaking these, no market for the parts anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pud, it doesn't seem like just a bit of welding, well not to my mechanic anyway, the front chassis both sides is pretty shot underneath the inner wings don't look great either, for someone who's hands on it would be great but for me to pay the labour rates is a bit much given I could go and buy a very good one for not far off the same money, that and the fact I won't be able to drive it in London in a year and a half has made up my mind, I've had some good interest so it will probably live to see another day maybe

·
Premium Member
45,187 Posts
A bit of welding could be anything from 3-4 hours to 30+ hours, but apart from the time it is very low cost, just steel, gas, wire, visors etc to pay for which doesn't account for much. I have done a couple of welding jobs which have taken for getting on 2 weeks. Like you say it doesn't make sense if you're paying garage rates. But for someone who can weld, they could fix it in their own time at very little cost.

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
Needs to be fixed, not scrapped. There's just 84 left on the road, today. Another c.191 somewhere in people's garages/yards.

15 have been scrapped in 2019.

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news It won't be scrapped I'm selling her to someone who will save her, it has honestly been the best serving Alfa I've had so far, 12 years is a good run probably because I always spent what was needed. It will be missed.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thank god someone has taken it on. ;-).
I have a massive welding backlog to clear over Christmas - first up is a GTV that needs both sills replaced er, and quite a lot of the floorpan. Then a 156 that needs one sill. Then a 156 that needs the spare wheel well patching. Then another GTV that needs a boot floor.

Got 2 welders (MIG and TIG), 2 x 5 kilo reels of Mig wire, 2.5 kilos of TIG steel, loads of gas.

·
Administrator
45,047 Posts
My old QV was last MOTed in 2008 :(
That means it only lasted about 2-3 years after I sold it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts