Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mito seems an attractive option for the Gauteng suburban sprawl quick-trips, with careful use in N mode only :cheese:. However the bewildering array of engines and options can do one's head in. :eek:

I understand Multiair hit 2011 models, but not the appealing mid-range 114kW version (now called just QV std, or (old) - "distinctive"?! (The only one available in Alfa red, used to...or maybe available on all now)

MY12 brings extended service and warranty plans, please correct me if wrong.

I looked at Giuletta for respite, and hopefully less muddling permutations and see that the 1.75l is a defining plus for the upgrade. But the boot looks the same size, but you get 4 doors instead. However, no used ones yet.

So what's the best Mito engine and model do you reckon. I have driven the old style 125kW QV in UK and it is nippy :thumbs:. 114kW seems to have a problem on hills in N mode (that's why you have hill start :tut:), you need to rev, very sluggish before 2-2.5 krpm. Post MA, pre-MA, distinctive, buy from new... one thing I notice is that because of the long warranty\ service plans you get built in, depreciation is slow, but no doubt will accelrate over time.

I know I could buy a Polo for half the price but... (waiting for the explosion of opinion). but... my missus will need to learn to drive in it (could always put some gaffer tape over the dna switch to prevent inquisitiveness)

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Andrew, having just got a 114 Kw for the wife, they are really good value now.... a good 09 or '10'model will set you back R 200k..... they keep their value quite well.
Great little cars and we manage 8.4 l/100 km (11.9 km/l) in town driving.... that seems to be quite heavy, but this is 100 % stop -go travelling....
Open road we get 6.8 l/100 km (14.5 km/l) easily

I would have liked the 125 kw QV more, but did not find any in my price range :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Eric, actually looking at the Durban and CPT drives and now thinking 159 3.2 for that :)! There seem to be a few available at decent prices . It appears a Q4 is 0.1s faster than standard fwd. Figure that: source (autotrader.co.uk ). Chain belts seems appealing versus the 2.4 diesel, how have you found yours? I could'nt use a diesel for my commute, it's too short.

·
5,467 Posts
Andrew, even on long drives the 3.2 is heavy on fuel, ZeffsoFresh can tell you all about it, he sold his one recently.....
My 2.4 gives me decent economy on a 9 km commute between house, school and work..... not fantastic, but I can live with it.... Novitec powerrail made a difference too.
The MiTo may be a bit choppy for long drives, but since you are used to a GT, it may not seem too uncomfortable.... I would certainly entertain the idea of a Giulietta or MiTo QV as a daily, rather than the 32. 159......

Reliability wise my 2.4 is faultless.... best car I have ever owned, most underrated saloon ever !

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heart rules, if I was going for another Alfa it would have to be the 159 (value, if I see one for sub 170k, most likely the 3.2) or MiTo. I used to have the Brera S 3.2 GM unit. I remember the long, long 2nd and 3rd gears. It has character over 5000, as you say- thirsty as hell. Never tried 2.4, sounds beasty though, and lots of noise I hear. I never get used to the lag though in diesel cars- a sign of impatience.

The head says get a Polo unfortunately...a question of affordability, when you look at finance rates in SA. Would not mind if missus crashes Polo, but Mito would be painful. Hoping Forbes can come up with the goods insurance-wise.

Had a crack with Hippo today. When the lad said it would cost R1200 for a 1.6 Polo, I said I felt like an 18 yr old again, with my first car.

I have not introduced my GT, but hopefully one day you will see it has a refined, planted drive with the koni fsd and eibach setup. I am not as fussy as ShinyCar in Oz, and live with the slight, barely noticeable smaller drop: front v. back arches. It really loves it here, bar the sub 93 petrol we get. It livens up down the coastline- feels like it's old performance. Please can we get Ron98 soon, I miss the purity :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't care about a lack of air, I just want quality low sulphur fuel :) And if it runs rich so-be-it. In Durban the ECU ran the choke high as it predicts low air, so it suffers from oxygen toxicity :) In a week it never learned, so was happy to reach the Highveld again.

·
5,467 Posts
Polo's are quite high risk for theft here in SA, thats why the insurance is so high...... Speak to PSG for insurance.... I can PM you a number if you are interested

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I quite like the MiTo...wife must definately buy it.

P

·
0 Posts
I dont like the MiTo. I love it.

There was a MiTo at the Hatfield dealership that you would have loved Guili.. Definitely not a standard QV as it was standing there...

And yes I took a picture of it Guili :)

P

·
0 Posts
Here is the pic...

The Mito was lowered, the chrome grill was made black, the serpent decal on the bonnet, the head light surrounds made black, it was chipped or remapped, it had a different boot spoiler, roof has the carbon effect, the chrome window liner was made black, different side skirts, different wheels, black side mirrors, it has induction fitted, and some racing or tuner's sticker fitted at the bottom close to start of rear wheel arch...

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Polo's are quite high risk for theft here in SA, thats why the insurance is so high...... Speak to PSG for insurance.... I can PM you a number if you are interested
Thanks Eric...funny you should say that. Forbes quote R900 for a Vivo versus R650 for a 159 3.2 Q4. The 2.4 would be around that. Forbes are a good tip for foreign nationals with foreign NCB.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Aroad

I have 2011 Mito QV 125kw (Black) I want to sell give me a shout
Hi there, I must be honest, I am looking for more engine for my money at the minute. However, practical sense may prevail if missus is to learn to drive one day. However, the K53 is proving a bit challenging, even for myself, I must admit.

Whats the price, kms, photos?

Cheers...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts