Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
My offside rear brake have a delightfully musical squeak to them. New discs and pads 1500miles ago,no squeak. Now after about 10 miles of driving if i reduce speed to around 5 mph the brakes on the offside rear squeak. I've just had the caliper off, sprayed brake cleaner everywhere,re copperslipped the backs and guides of the pads,checked the piston is returning and not sticking, put it all back together,went for a spin, lo and behold just as im turning into my road squeak again!!! :cry: . Ive noticed that if i click the handbrake on a notch or press the brakes it stops. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Paul

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
It may be a pad that's a little bit tight in the caliper. Try cleaning the pad locating surfaces on the caliper with a smooth file to remove possible corrosion build-up; if that doesn't work it may also be necessary to file a small amount of the edge of the pad backplate to give a nice sliding fit.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have squeaky brakes also, especially when I reverse! :eek: It's really loud and embarrassing :eek: I had the discs and pads changed quite a few miles ago now and theyre still squeaking :( Depending on pressure when I brake depends whether or not it squeaks... I have no idea what to do about em just live with it :lol:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be a pad that's a little bit tight in the caliper. Try cleaning the pad locating surfaces on the caliper with a smooth file to remove possible corrosion build-up; if that doesn't work it may also be necessary to file a small amount of the edge of the pad backplate to give a nice sliding fit.
Spot on Dave, top man. I rubbed the pad edges down with emery cloth and rubbed the bits where the pads locate in the caliper and put a little copperslip on the egdes, see pic. No squeak :lol:

.......and then found this guide on squeaky brakes after :lol:

How to stop your Alfa Brakes from Squealing

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts