Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in the "Alps"-thread, I went to the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese. With the huge defunct factory decaying around it, you get a slightly depressing feeling, but the museum itself is still in good order. It was very quiet, which I like in a museum. During 2.5 hours I spoted maybe a dozen other people. There are nearly 100 cars on display of which about 5 were not there during my visit. Texts are in italian only, but we all have the important books at home anyway, don't we.
There was a sign with a crossed out camera near the entrance, but the porter at the factory gate had said pictures were ok. But maybe he just hadn't understood me, so I started with slightly sweaty fingers taking the first pictures. But with the few other visitors not bothering either, I became more and more trigger-happy. If you're interested in a specific model, please ask. I made a lot more pictures.

Museum front:

One of my favourites:

16-cylinder engine! Maybe for a 159 GTA? . . . Ok, might be a bit front-heavy

The first Alfa 159:

"poor man's" 12-cylinder: two 6-cylinder engines side by side:

. . . with two ! gearboxes operated by one gearstick!

Maybe my favourite car of all: 1900 Sprint Touring
But it's one of the cars, that look so much better in real

THE Montreal (prototype from Montreal Expo):

I've read quite a lot about Alfa Romeo over the years, but I can't remember ever seeing the following prototypes:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Very nice pictures - thanks for sharing!

The best feature about the 1975 Alfa Romeo Eagle is the dashboard concept, which anticipated touch-sensitive switchgear and blue digital displays, with a large bar-graph rev counter.

The exterior styling is not one of Aldo Brovanone's (Pininfarina) best efforts, but the chrome cloverleafs on the B pillars is a nice touch :D

I've got the blue VFD instruments, and I've built the bar-graph modules. One of these days I'll get it all together in the Green Machine :D

I guess they are photographed so regularly that people get bored of them, but the Alfa Carabo and Pininfarina P33 coupe always do it for me. Closely followed by the Iguana and Alfasud Caimano. And the OSI Scarabeo for interest value.

I just love the Montreal showcar - somehow it managed to look lower and wider than the production car, and the dash layout was a lot neater. 1600 Giulia based, but you can't have everything :D

A road trip to Italy to visit the museum sounds fantastic, but the stories of nose-to-tail traffic and the idea of driving the Green Machine in an Italian city is rather daunting :(

Lauren

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I visited the museum a couple of years ago when i went over to Italy for the Moto gp race at Mugello. Great place to visit and actually got talking to the guy who runs it who said he had "the best job in the world":thumbs: :cool:

I'll see if i can find some pics cos i know i took loads:)

·
Registered
46,602 Posts
Very lovley pics!

(silly question but how do you get the Alfaowner.com on all pics:eek:)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Been several times & would defo go again, probably in 2010 for the anniversary:cool:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
. . . .
I guess they are photographed so regularly that people get bored of them, but the Alfa Carabo and Pininfarina P33 coupe always do it for me. Closely followed by the Iguana and Alfasud Caimano. And the OSI Scarabeo for interest value.
. . . .
Bored of a Carabo? Never. The cars you mentioned are indeed beautiful designs (well, I think apart from the Caimano, to be honest).

. . . .
A road trip to Italy to visit the museum sounds fantastic, but the stories of nose-to-tail traffic and the idea of driving the Green Machine in an Italian city is rather daunting :(
. . . .
Apart from the west coast of Lago di Como (where I simply picked the wrong road) it wasn't that bad. From my hotel near Erba (south of the Lake) to the museum it's all motorways. With a lot of traffic, but not really scary. In fact, once you get used to the motorbikes driving between the car lanes, it's quite "cool". Everyone wants to get forward and uses every possible opportunity, but not in an aggressive way. There's no honking or headlights-flashing, even if you make a mistake and no one cuts another as revenge or to hinder him getting further than himself.
But it certainly makes it lot easier if you have a (mobile) satnav, so you don't have to read and check the road signs constantly.

Very lovley pics!

(silly question but how do you get the Alfaowner.com on all pics:eek:)
Instead of using an external hosting-site I uploaded the pictures to my member gallery of Alfaowner.com and if I then link to them in my posts, this logo appears automatically. A little disadvantage is, that gallery pictures have to get approved and therefore can't be seen immediately. (In contrast to the attachment-procedure . . . .)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts