Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Is the car lowered at all?

The reflex dampers rely of a standard level of suspension travel for their system to work. If the car is lowered, it may not work correctly.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is the car lowered at all?

The reflex dampers rely of a standard level of suspension travel for their system to work. If the car is lowered, it may not work correctly.
Sorry for taking the thread OT,but what would be a better damper for a lowered car,specifically Eibachs :devious: ?

Back on topic,i have Reflex on std springs and they are fine

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Sorry for taking the thread OT,but what would be a better damper for a lowered car,specifically Eibachs :devious: ?
Not a lot of choice these days with KYBs being discontinued and Konis not compatible with 17" wheels and 225 45 17s. But TRWs ( oem ) are fine and still available.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Looking back over previous threads on shocks and springs, there is some very positive feedback regarding Monroes and Eibachs. I think it is always going to a very subjective discussion up there with what tyres or what oil do you use. We all have different driving styles and and have differing views on where we want the compromise between comfort and road holding to be.

Reactions: p51mustang

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looking back over previous threads on shocks and springs, there is some very positive feedback regarding Monroes and Eibachs. I think it is always going to a very subjective discussion up there with what tyres or what oil do you use. We all have different driving styles and and have differing views on where we want the compromise between comfort and road holding to be.
I've got Eibach -20mm springs and Monroe Reflex shocks ready to go on the car (2.0 TS) ..Is this a 'no no' or will it be ok? It's just every-day use and no track driving or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I've got Eibach -20mm springs and Monroe Reflex shocks ready to go on the car (2.0 TS) ..Is this a 'no no' or will it be ok? It's just every-day use and no track driving or anything like that.
I’ve got 2 sets of Eibachs and 2 pairs of Monroes in the garage waiting to be fitted to my GTV and Spider hopefully this summer for the GTV and over the winter with powerflex bushes as a winter project on the Spider. If they’re no good I’m well up a certain creek without a paddle!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cant see how these monroe struts are going to make any difference when it comes to lowered spring

The struts would have to be a different size to the originals ,and why would they do that .Monroe just like kyb ,sachs ,koni must be an exact match to the original diamensions

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not a lot of choice these days with KYBs being discontinued and Konis not compatible with 17" wheels and 225 45 17s. But TRWs ( oem ) are fine and still available.
What is the issue with Konis and 17" with stated tyres? I have a set of Koni STR.T with 17" Teledials and 225/45/17s waiting to go back on so not going to be pleased if that doesn't work or are you referring to the TS rather than V6?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
What is the issue with Konis and 17" with stated tyres? I have a set of Koni STR.T with 17" Teledials and 225/45/17s waiting to go back on so not going to be pleased if that doesn't work or are you referring to the TS rather than V6?
I don't believe there is a problem with the Koni STR.T and 17" wheels. However there is a problem with the Koni Sport version on the front struts, as they won't clear with a 7.5J rim and 225 tyres. Do you have the 916 Teledials with ET30.5 or the GTA version with ET35?

When Alfa Romeo used Zender for the 17" wheels on the 916 models, there wasn't a problem with this issue, as the Zender alloys such as the Challenge version had an offset of ET20, plus the fact they had a 7J rim with 215 profile tyres.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't believe there is a problem with the Koni STR.T and 17" wheels. However there is a problem with the Koni Sport version on the front struts, as they won't clear with a 7.5J rim and 225 tyres. Do you have the 916 Teledials with ET30.5 or the GTA version with ET35?

When Alfa Romeo used Zender for the 17" wheels on the 916 models, there wasn't a problem with this issue, as the Zender alloys such as the Challenge version had an offset of ET20, plus the fact they had a 7J rim with 215 profile tyres.
They are 916 Teledials supplied as an option with the new car but not checked the ET. On reflection it is the standard tyre set up so that's 215/55/17 iirc? Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem either way?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The problem is with Koni yellows on a TS. Not sure about the orange ones. Koni designed them when 16s were the only option on the TS which they are fine with. There is not enough clearance for 17s with 225/45 tyres. You will just have enough clearance for 215/45/17s

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
The problem is with Koni yellows on a TS. Not sure about the orange ones. Koni designed them when 16s were the only option on the TS which they are fine with. There is not enough clearance for 17s with 225/45 tyres. You will just have enough clearance for 215/45/17s

For the TS between 1995-2003, the 16" wheels were NOT THE ONLY OPTION WHEEL. As I have already stated, there were official 17" options in the Accessories Catalogue, the manufacturer being a mixture of Speedline and Zender. They were sold as official Alfa Romeo accessories with Alfa Romeo part numbers. For instance, the Zender 'Challenge' option fitted to my TS Spider is Alfa Romeo part number 60877472. This has a 7J rim with ET20 and takes 215 tyres. I have the Koni Sports and Eibach springs fitted and of course there is no problem with clearance.

The Alfa Romeo 1999 Accessories Catalogue (of which I have a copy) lists four options of 17" alloys wheels for both the 916 TS and V6 models, and specifically one 17" option for the 2.0 TS only:

1) Monza Basis. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877888. 7.5J x 17".

2) Teledial. Alfa Romeo Part number 60657231. 7.5J x17".

3) Milano. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877884. 7.5J x 17".

4) Challenge Basis. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877472. 7J x 17".

5) 17" Alloy wheel kit for 2.0TS only. Alfa Romeo part number 5901365 for the kit, or single wheel 5901361. 7J x 17". This kit had a single central hub nut supplied with an adaptor and key.

v6coop won't have a problem as he has the GTV V6, the original 916 teledial alloys which should have ET30.5, and the Koni orange shocks which have a different dimension compared to the Koni yellow sports.

Below are attached two photos from the 1999 official accessories catalogue. The first photo shows 17" alloy wheel options 1) to 4) listed above, the second photo shows option 5):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
For the TS between 1995-2003, the 16" wheels were NOT THE ONLY OPTION WHEEL. As I have already stated, there were official 17" options in the Accessories Catalogue, the manufacturer being a mixture of Speedline and Zender. They were sold as official Alfa Romeo accessories with Alfa Romeo part numbers. For instance, the Zender 'Challenge' option fitted to my TS Spider is Alfa Romeo part number 60877472. This has a 7J rim with ET20 and takes 215 tyres. I have the Koni Sports and Eibach springs fitted and of course there is no problem with clearance.

The Alfa Romeo 1999 Accessories Catalogue (of which I have a copy) lists four options of 17" alloys wheels for both the 916 TS and V6 models, and specifically one 17" option for the 2.0 TS only:

1) Monza Basis. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877888. 7.5J x 17".

2) Teledial. Alfa Romeo Part number 60657231. 7.5J x17".

3) Milano. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877884. 7.5J x 17".

4) Challenge Basis. Alfa Romeo Part number 60877472. 7J x 17".

5) 17" Alloy wheel kit for 2.0TS only. Alfa Romeo part number 5901365 for the kit, or single wheel 5901361. 7J x 17". This kit had a single central hub nut supplied with an adaptor and key.

v6coop won't have a problem as he has the GTV V6, the original 916 teledial alloys which should have ET30.5, and the Koni orange shocks which have a different dimension compared to the Koni yellow sports.

Below are attached two photos from the 1999 official accessories catalogue. The first photo shows 17" alloy wheel options 1) to 4) listed above, the second photo shows option 5):
No wishing to be argumentative but 17” alloys as far as I know have not always been an option for the TS. This is a direct quote from a previous thread...

This has been covered quite a few times on here already.

V6s have no problem but the TS has a different shock & is only sold for early cars: https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/...bsorber-Front-

They will fit the later TSs but basically they're only recommended for 95-97(or cars with 205/50 16s) pre 17" Teledial era cars which are pre 98 when Teles approximately came out.

215/45s will cure the clearance problem.

Koni made them correctly for 205/50 16s, which was the std fitment but made a bit of a boob by not later altering the lower spring pan to allow for a larger wheel/tyre combination.

I suppose Koni sellers should ask what year car AND what wheel/tyre combo you are running before selling them?

Clive

And Clive knows his stuff when it comes to Alfas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For the 156 monroe do shocks for sportspack and non sportpack, not sure if the gtv had a factory lowered option that they may cater for?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
No wishing to be argumentative but 17” alloys as far as I know have not always been an option for the TS. This is a direct quote from a previous thread...

This has been covered quite a few times on here already.

V6s have no problem but the TS has a different shock & is only sold for early cars: https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/...bsorber-Front-

They will fit the later TSs but basically they're only recommended for 95-97(or cars with 205/50 16s) pre 17" Teledial era cars which are pre 98 when Teles approximately came out.

215/45s will cure the clearance problem.

Koni made them correctly for 205/50 16s, which was the std fitment but made a bit of a boob by not later altering the lower spring pan to allow for a larger wheel/tyre combination.

I suppose Koni sellers should ask what year car AND what wheel/tyre combo you are running before selling them?

Clive

And Clive knows his stuff when it comes to Alfas.
The specific point I was making in my post, is that the official 17" alloys made by Zender, which have an offset of ET20, have no problem clearing the Koni Sport front struts designed for the TS models from 1995. Also, the 7J alloy with 215 tyres causes no problems at all for all the TS models with clearance of the spring cup on the strut. These have been used by many owners of the TS GTV and Spider models around the world. The attached photo below shows a close up wheel on my 1995 TS Spider, fitted with Koni Sports and Eibach springs, fitted with the 17" Zender Challenge alloys and 215/45/17 tyres.

I cannot comment on what others may say, I can only comment on my own experience with my TS Spider stretching back to 1996. But in summary, with the Zender Challenge 17" alloys and the TS models from 1995, there is no problem with clearance at all. However, I would agree that not all of the 17" options listed in my previous post may fit with the TS Koni Sport struts. But certainly in the case of the Zender Challenge alloys they do, and have done so on my Spider for the past 20 years! And I have met several other owners at meets with exactly the same set-up!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts