Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a rant about single parents in general, just the ones I am living near.

Basically my flat is under going some major renovation, some structural. The surveyor in charge of the work feels it is better if I stay somewhere else if possible whilst some of the work has been completed.

So I have been staying with my partner at her flat across town. It has all been fairly all right up till this week.

I keep myself to myself and have been helping her neighbours (not these mums) with the odd thing and just trying to fit in.

There is woodland out the back with a foot path. I took my partners dog for a walk on this. On the way back a good 100 yards from the property the dog had a very upset stomach. There was no way I would get it cleared up with bags so I covered it with leaves till I could get the dog back and come back with water. It wasn't on the path it was in the bracken. I went back about 5 minutes later and washed it away, it was only a tiny bit. I did the leaves so nobody would walk in it till I got back.

Yesterday a group of mothers appeared outside our kitchen window with a huge gaggle of kids screaming in at me. One of them had seen me with the dog and the leaves, yet conveniently not go back and wash it away (with Jeyes fluid I should add). I went out and tried to explain but they were just not listening.

In addition they added that I was being a further nuisance by parking my Alfa in the car park although there are dozens of empty spaces. Apparently we should all park as far away as possible to leave the spaces for the 'mums'. They also added they don't want to see me out the back again as they have no idea who I am and their children play their. A couple of paedophile references were made which I found deeply offensive, I am a teacher so I am fully CRB checked.

We have communal washing lines and they told my partner she should not use them as their children use it as a play area. They also told her not to walk through this area with the dog because of the children.

We are getting in touch with the landlords today, I feel thoroughly terrible. These people have literally got together and taken over the complex. We are on the ground floor and they have 1st or 2nd floor flats with balconies. They let children under 5 play, shout, scream, spray water pistols through our windows. They leave the place in a right mess and the kids run riot while they sit on their balconies arranging their next night out while half heartedly looking over the kids.

I go out of my way to ensure my life doesn't cause impose on others. I even allowed a neighbour in at 3:30am and she stayed over because she found a rat in her place. Me and a friend spent all night looking for it in there.

Feel so thoroughly despondent at the way we are being treated.

My rant over.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Don't take it too personally. As Single Mums their group default position will be 'man hating' at the moment, especially when in mob mode. They'll also have an overdeveloped sense of protection for their kids (because it's about the only good thing in their lives). The Dog cr4p thing is an 'understandable misunderstanding' I would think.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
it's a shame that it's your partners flat, as otherwise you could tell them all to "**** off" and mind their own business.

you've obviously been a very considerate person while you've been there, so i wouldn't get hung up about it and carry on regardless of what this clique think.

it might be worth letting the local bobbies know what happened with reference to the paedo comments too, as that could potentially be stepping over the line as far as the law is concerned.

out of curiosity, what has the landlord said? When i was 'threatened' about what i did in and around my house, by a problematic neighbour, i called my landlord (a social housing group) and they told me to ignore the neighbours (see the thread about neighbours in this here rant room!).

good luck - i hope you're not having to endure this for too long!
:)

edit : further to the alfa magnetism thread; if they're complaining about where you are parking, i'd keep an eye on your car for new dings and scratches too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my friend took my car to his place last night as one of them vowed to 'deal' with the car later on. You can take that both ways.

It is a social housing landlord and my partner immediately called them. They are not happy and their has apparently been other complaints about them taking over. They also admitted they had received numerous complaints from them about parking and how they would like certain spaces dedicated to them. They were told to do one as they consider all the spaces more than adequate for everyone and nobody qualifies for an allocated space because of disability.

My partner is really on one now as I said I think it is better if I return to my flat, I think she likes having me here so she is determined to sort them.

As they went off this morning I could hear them shouting 'paedo' in the hallway. My partner has photographed all the toys, prams, trampolines and toys abandoned around the communal area and gardens.

She has been really tolerant till now but I think this is the straw that has broken the camels back. A few of the nice neighbours have knocked on the door and offered support to me which makes me feel a bit better.

·
Registered
620 Posts
People like that make me fume, but there's only so much anger you can vent in this kind of situation before people start making you out to be the bad guy.

I definitely think that you're doing the right thing re landlords etc. Though I'm not sure even what the landlords can do, tbh.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
i really think you should go to the police and explain the situation: you are having malicious threats being made about intent to damage your car; being threatened if you access a communal area and most sinister of all, being labelled as a paedophile. This is harrassment on a large scale.

i'm no lawyer, but i'm sure this antagonistic behaviour warrants some sort of action from the police...even if it's just a stern talking to.

I'd also make an official complaint to the landlord..if others have complained then it adds to the case against them.

again, good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People like that make me fume, but there's only so much anger you can vent in this kind of situation before people start making you out to be the bad guy.

I definitely think that you're doing the right thing re landlords etc. Though I'm not sure even what the landlords can do, tbh.

Send them a stupid letter probably. Although my partner does want all the mess they are causing cleared up as it is not only an eyesore but both of us have tripped on it at one time or another.

The 'paedo' thing is upsetting. I am a 40 year old man whose children have grown up. I wish they would look up what it means and see that I am not a sex offender or been accused of anything like it in my life.

My partner is just going into the head office in a minute.

E

·
0 Posts
The mentality of some parents is quite disturbing, with regard to there seems to be a default position 'if in doubt paedo' and I feel kids are growing up with a skewed view on reality.

I was pretty disturbed the other week on the tube when all of a sudden I realised the woman sat opposite me was glaring at me and her hushed reference to her daughter of 'pervert' was directed at me! I have no idea what planet she was on and can only assume that as is often the case, with so much going on at the moment (new full time contract at work in the pipeline, selling the flat/moving and my sister in a bad car accident) my mind had wandered and I happened to be staring in their general direction.

I honestly didn't know what to do, wanted to say something but on a fairly packed District line train decided to do nothing. :(

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Move anything left in the communal area into the stairwell, so it's them that trips up all over it.. :D

Second time of asking, just scoop the whole lot up and stick it in the bin. It's been abandoned and you don't know who dumped it there after all. If it was an old sofa, it'd be a no-brainer that it's junk.

I'd complain to the council too, if it's remotely anti-social behaviour. Write them a letter EVERY time you have some inconvenience, detailing it and the dates/times. They will have such a huge file that it will be simple for them to send out ASBOs later on. :D

If there's anything remotely threatening or intimidatory, report the incident to the Police. Do it every time it happens. Again, if they see a potential misdemeanour they can do something. Certainly the Chief Super' won't want a neighbourhood dispute pulling their crime stat's down.. so they'll act.

Start sun-bathing in a mankini when their kids are out.. just to be annoying. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a bit of evidence now. They have put letters through all our doors.

They read:

Dear residents,

Many of the residents have more than one vehicle per household. Although their is ample parking could you please refrain from using the spaces in front of the building and use the ones at the far side. Please respect that there are MOTHERS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN who need priority to these spaces. Could you also inform your visitors not to park on site.

Could the residents with the dogs NOT walk them through the rear garden to get to the woods. Our children play out there and some are nervous of dogs and we don't them playing around animals for hygiene reasons.

Could we lastly ask that you do NOT use the rear garden path to access the bridal path. Our children have been brought up to be wary of strange men and women so could become distressed by your presence coming out of a wooded area.

I am sure you will respect our wishes and understand our position given the growing numbers of Paedophiles in the area.
They have signed it with their flat numbers. Unbelievable IMO.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Strange indeed. Never really saw the necessity for parent/child parking, however when marked as such I do of course park across them diagonally in the Lambo.

TBH if it was me, I couldn't be arsed to reason with people like that.
Move out if you can, certainly a good thing about renting IMHO :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I have a bit of evidence now. They have put letters through all our doors.

They read:

They have signed it with their flat numbers. Unbelievable IMO.
they dont have the authority to demand any of that; it is all public access land and there should be no restrictions demanded by another member of the public....send a copy to the landlord and the council (who oversee access to public highways (which includes footpaths) public rights of way, common ground, etc) ASAP...

and again the inference of paedophiles....take it to the police!!

do it!!!!

Strange indeed. Never really saw the necessity for parent/child parking, however when marked as such I do of course park across them diagonally in the Lambo.
LMAO!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off the phone with the social housing landlord housing manager. They were very apologetic and furious about the situation. I read out the letter and they confirmed it is now going to be an official warning on their tenancies. It was interesting that they are all on starter tenancies which are due to be upgraded to assured in August and September.

The housing manager is informing them their starter tenancies will be increased for a further 6 months because of their behaviour. He believes that will hit them particularly hard as he knows two of them want to move partners in which cannot be done till they are on assured.

The ring leader who keeps using the paedophile reference has already had a telephone call and is getting a visit later from the PCSO and advised her behaviour could lead to an arrest if it persists. They have also made them aware that they have made threats against vehicles, if any damage is done they will be required to prove their innocence rather than us have to prove their guilt.

All in all I am happy at they way they are dealing with it. That is a very efficient Social Housing Landlord IMO.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Just got off the phone with the social housing landlord housing manager. They were very apologetic and furious about the situation. I read out the letter and they confirmed it is now going to be an official warning on their tenancies. It was interesting that they are all on starter tenancies which are due to be upgraded to assured in August and September.

The housing manager is informing them their starter tenancies will be increased for a further 6 months because of their behaviour. He believes that will hit them particularly hard as he knows two of them want to move partners in which cannot be done till they are on assured.

The ring leader who keeps using the paedophile reference has already had a telephone call and is getting a visit later from the PCSO and advised her behaviour could lead to an arrest if it persists. They have also made them aware that they have made threats against vehicles, if any damage is done they will be required to prove their innocence rather than us have to prove their guilt.

All in all I am happy at they way they are dealing with it. That is a very efficient Social Housing Landlord IMO.

result :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just read this thread, Alfa luke. It sounds like a pretty unpleasant situation (and the supermarket incident can't have helped). Whilst most people are generally kind and rational it is always a bit of a shock to run up against those who aren't. Glad to hear that it is being sorted out- don't let it get you down!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts