Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
45,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The missus wants an iPhone for Christmas.

What happens if you connect two to the same computer / iTunes? Can they have different accounts? Using the same set of music?

Any complications I need to be aware of?

·
Administrator
87,031 Posts
Setup separate user accounts for Windows ( assuming it's a PC ) the same as you need to do if you want to run more than one iPod/iTouch etc. on the same computer ?

R

·
0 Posts
Windows user Accounts - Ignore the above it'll work fine with one user account on a host Mac or PC.

ITunes store accounts - you can either use the one iTunes account for purchases on both phones or have your own. you then buy apps etc directly on the phone.

ITunes Library - The key thing here is the library with which each phone syncs. You can have one single instance of iTunes I.e. one library and then choose to sync your own choices of music, videos etc to achieve of your phones.

·
Administrator
45,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - so the music seems fine then - I hadn't even considered Apps!

So a bought app will only allow me to add it to one of the iPhones? Or I just buy them separately and don't sync the apps with iTunes?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Thanks - so the music seems fine then - I hadn't even considered Apps!

So a bought app will only allow me to add it to one of the iPhones? Or I just buy them separately and don't sync the apps with iTunes?
Each iPhone you plug in will need a name to identify it. You can then choose which apps, music, photos, movies etc you wish to sync to each device. Completely flexible and very easy:thumbs: As long as you use the same iTunes account for each device apps can be added to all or any as you choose.

·
Administrator
45,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it'd be the same apple id and password?

How would that 'find my mobile' thing work? Give you the option between which one was lost I guess.

Again, just trying to think through the complications! Seems like it will be straightforward though.

R

·
0 Posts
As Chris says a shared account is easiest, especially if you're both going to use many of the same paid apps it's daft to pay twice given that each one can go on up to five idevices.

If Mrs Bazza currently is not an iTunes account holder but you are then I would suggest the shared account is absolutely the way forward.

A shared iTunes account won't hamper your ability to have individual iCloud accounts either.

R

·
0 Posts
So it'd be the same apple id and password?

How would that 'find my mobile' thing work? Give you the option between which one was lost I guess.

Again, just trying to think through the complications! Seems like it will be straightforward though.
That's iCloud functionality rather than iTunes so you'll be fine

RSK

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
As Chris says a shared account is easiest, especially if you're both going to use many of the same paid apps it's daft to pay twice given that each one can go on up to five idevices.

If Mrs Bazza currently is not an iTunes account holder but you are then I would suggest the shared account is absolutely the way forward.

A shared iTunes account won't hamper your ability to have individual iCloud accounts either.
That's what we do for our iTouch(es) sp?.

Works fine and saves buying the same Apps twice/three times.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Definately a bonus to sharing one itunes account as you only have to buy apps once :thumbs:

·
Administrator
45,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great. Cheers everyone.

I shall give Vodafone a ring shortly then and see what they can do around:

1) Keeping her old number.
2) Supplying the phone but not activating it (and therefore deactivating her old sim and phone) until christmas day.
3) Giving me a good deal on the handset price as an existing customer. Don't reckon it'll work, but worth a try. When I bought mine, they knocked £60 off the price simply because I asked - but now the price difference between 4 and 4s is so small, I can't imagine they'll sell the latter for the list price of the former.

I'm a bit envious about what I'll be getting her actually. Firstly I'll be getting her a 4s, when I only have a 4 myself. Secondly, our work offers a deal via vodafone whereby she'll be able to get 20% off her contract cost - but I can't because you have to set it up within 30 days of opening the account.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
You won't get ANY deal for iPhones as Apple set the prices of the handset and tariffs

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
once you select the 'thinking of leaving us' option, you are taken to the land of people who like to say 'yes'. :):thumbs:
Nope tried this and I did actually formally activate the termination, there is nothing they can do price wise with apple products

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Administrator
45,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You won't get ANY deal for iPhones as Apple set the prices of the handset and tariffs
When I bought mine, they knocked £60 off the price simply because I asked.
I beg to differ. ;)

And as I say, I already know I can get £5 knocked off the tariff through work.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
When I got my 3Gs many moons ago I had money knocked off just through asking "whats the best you can offer me" :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
2009 is hardly "many moons ago"....

:p

;)
It is in terms of fruit, it goes off quite quickly ;)
To cover both points....
Eddie, 1 new model every 12 months is not a quick replacement scheme, how many models are released within each year by the other manufacturers ;)

Nev, the average lunar phase is about 29.53 days. I think I got it in August of 2009 - so about 27 months ago, so thats roughly 27 moons ago.... thats many to me :D :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts