Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the usual airbag warning light showing on my V6 156. I have dealt with this and successfully cancelled the same warning light on my 2 litre twinspark version sometime ago - appeared to be the usual dirty contacts at the plug however this time I am getting the message that there is a short or fault at the driver`s squab - nothing new except the screen shows the wording high latentcy and I cannot cancel, even after rebuilding the plug. What does high latency mean and is it likely to be the cause of me being unable to clear the fault this time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the latency warning refers to your set up, specifically for the port on your laptop or whatever device you're using to connect. You should set the lowest possible value for the latency timer.
Also, are you misreading 'squib' for 'squab'? The squib reference may be for the curtain airbags and the connector for these is in the boot on the rh side behind the carpet trim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the latency warning refers to your set up, specifically for the port on your laptop or whatever device you're using to connect. You should set the lowest possible value for the latency timer.
Also, are you misreading 'squib' for 'squab'? The squib reference may be for the curtain airbags and the connector for these is in the boot on the rh side behind the carpet trim.
Appreciate the response. Ironically I`m Richard J as well - Richard Jones. Yes, it does refer to the drivers squib - thought that was a spelling mistake, however my car - a `98 Japanese import does not appear to have side air bags - my 2000 NZ new twinspark does, so the issue with the `98 does appear to be under the driver`s seat still....
Being an old fart not totally au fait with my laptop and interface with Multiecu do I get into my lap top settings and adjust latency from there re port settings? (running Windows 10)

·
Registered
721 Posts
If it does not have side airbags (in the seat), how can it be a side airbag problem? It must be steering wheel airbag, or a pre-tensioner. Both of which I would think would display a different error message. As for latency, I'm not too sure. Probably more of a thing to deal with on the Multi ECU side of the software, rather than delving into your computer's settings as such. If its steering wheel airbag it could be the clock spring or something else like that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike the Multiecu screen tells me it is a fault (short) in the drivers squib circuit. As there was no side airbag I assumed squib meant driver`s seat squab. I`m surprised there was no side airbags in this car as i thought they were standard but I`ve found before that Japanese market models can be different and obviously their safety regulations were not as tough then. Fortunately no pollution equiptment or engine ecu settings differences to New Zealand new which means Euro standards performance wise. my NZ new year 2000 twinspark 2 litre however has the 155 hp version and Lusso pack which included side airbags and I have dealt with the airbag warning light issue in this car before. Looking back at the service records for this particular car it regularly went to get the warning light cancelled and also ended up with a new airbag ecu. A frequent problem with 156`s unfortunately.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Early ones only came with dual frontal. Then side shortly after, and following first face-lift curtain airbags.

Squib for airbags is a component in the airbag. So it could be any airbag, given that it only has 2 it must be the drivers frontal airbag from steering wheel. When I had a problem with my curtain airbag, it came up on multiecu scan as something along the lines of squib and curtain, or head. I can't quite remember. It only happened because the connector in the boot was knocked after transporting something somewhere.

For you, I would say search around for clock spring problems on the forum, as those can cause issues with the SRS system. I'm not sure if a replacement is required, or it a clean and reconnect is needed.

I've been looking around in multiecu scan, and have found under the settings menu and interfaces tab there is a high latency mode that you can select. Also make sure that the interface types are correct for what you are using to connect to car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go on the multiecu website and download the user guide pdf. Save this to your laptop making sure you know where to find it later. There are good instructions how to change port settings such as latency settings for windows 7/10. Plug in your obd lead and check whether the drivers for it are up to date. Windows will search and install for you. Change latency setting referring to in the user guide as you go along. You should be able to connect assuming you have a lead capable of connecting to the airbag circuit.
Safety Notes:
Make sure you disconnect the battery before working on the airbag circuit.
The "sqibs" referred to are explosive charges and can be triggered by accidental electrical contact from, for example, multitesters set for continuity testing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Make sure you disconnect the battery before working on the airbag circuit.
The "sqibs" referred to are explosive charges and can be triggered by accidental electrical contact from, for example, multitesters set for continuity testing.
If I may humbly add to the above....leave it for 30 mins after you disconnect the battery for any residual current to dissipate. It would be enough to also blow said charges!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts