Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of January next year my current insurance year runs out and I'm looking towards getting a second car for my girlfriend, she will be on both cars..

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD 10v

and the list of contenders;

Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 JTDm 07 plate (valued at £3500) - £1450

Audi A2 1.4 TDi 02 plate (valued at £2500) - £1700+

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi estate (valued at £1000) - £1500+

All quotes are based on 4000 miles for the 156, and 8,000 miles for the "main" economical car. Between us we don't travel far.

What I'm struggling to understand is how a 2002 75 BHP Audi A2 is £300 on top of a Punto...

And how can an Astra estate valued at £1000, be £130 more than a Punto valued at £3,500? I'm not sure where these random prices are coming from?

Now, the quotes themselves aren't bad. I am 21 with 1YNCB and my girlfriend will be a first time driver. So I know for £1450 for her to drive an Alfa 2.4 or a 07 Punto it's a pretty good deal. I'm just really confused as to how a small Audi A2 or an Astra somehow commands a premium over the Punto when it is valued higher than the others?

Sometimes I wonder whether they use a random number generator.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

·
Vendor
306 Posts
Ah okay thanks.

I guess the "full aluminium build" on the Audi is also it's downfall!
Claims can be expensive due to personal injury payout awards, not just the cost of vehicle repairs. All will be reflected in the rates.

·
Registered
37,693 Posts
I preferred your own explanation to CKI's, 'due to personal injury payouts' is a rubbish explanation as you cannot tie that to a car make or model. Punto drivers tend to crash into people who are more injured as a result? Billhooks! Yes if you are insuring Hummer drivers, but otherwise...?

·
Vendor
306 Posts
I preferred your own explanation to CKI's, 'due to personal injury payouts' is a rubbish explanation as you cannot tie that to a car make or model. Punto drivers tend to crash into people who are more injured as a result? Billhooks! Yes if you are insuring Hummer drivers, but otherwise...?
It's based on historical claims stats info, so they're saying that they have had alot of expensive claims (repairs and injury) from drivers of some models more than others.

One of our insurers stopped insuring BMW M series cars for a while because they had seen 2x million pound claims in one year. That's not what it cost to repair the cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts