Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know, given the multiair failure issues, is the twinair the same system, only with half the cylinders?
If so, do they have a similar failure rate.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My Sisters MiTo TwinAir 85bhp had a failure of its 'UniAir control' at around 10,000 miles, which I believe to be the same as MultiAir failure, or at least the same principle.

However, hers is the only one I've known to fail. It did the same rough idling/running as a MA failure but wasn't un-driveable by any means, and no warning lights came on.

When you think of how many TwinAir engines there are running in 500s, Panda's and MiTo's, it'd be fair to assume they're far less prone to failure than 4cyl MultiAir units.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just my pennies worth, whilst every mechanical system has a failure rate. I've done over 60k miles with 2 4 cyl MA Mito's my sons twin air has covered over 20k with no issues. My opinion is the majority of actual physical failures could well be due to poor servicing, wrong oil, over filling etc. The 3 cars in question have been serviced to schedule in by the same Alfa dealer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Half the cylinders=half the failure rate?
Or thinking positively, the twinair is newer so perhaps they all have the updated units=fewer failures.
Does seem odd that the only real complaints reported on fiat forum on the 500 twinair is that it's uneconomical- my multiair was the opposite and couldn't have been happier with the economy.
Go figure....

·
Registered
961 Posts
All OEM's fiddle the economy figures its marketing at the end of the day, trouble is Alfa doesn't have the cost effectiveness of Ford or GM's dealer network, therefore people go cheap on service and reap the rewards, to be fair half the issues raised on here are probably spurious fault codes and not physical failures. Just my opinion as a qualified engineer in an Italian OEM.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All OEM's fiddle the economy figures its marketing at the end of the day, trouble is Alfa doesn't have the cost effectiveness of Ford or GM's dealer network, therefore people go cheap on service and reap the rewards, to be fair half the issues raised on here are probably spurious fault codes and not physical failures. Just my opinion as a qualified engineer in an Italian OEM.
It's well reported that the economy figures quoted by fiat for the 500 twinair are optimistic at best, some would say dishonest at worst.
However from what I've read, real life figures are less than what I achieved in my multiair- indeed before I got it I test drove a mito twinair and the computer wasn't reading good figures (my multiair pretty much returned bang on what the computer was saying).
With double the cylinders and 30 more horses, that seems to me pretty poor.
There are lots of reports on here about physical failures of the multiair, usually beginning with sluggish performance and oil in the plug holes, even after correct servicing.
The twinair is a compromised engine with the wrong gearing and poor economy, the multiair is a peach with excellent economy, but i'm afraid simply cannot be relied upon not to give its owner problems, especially long term.
The caveat being that if it turns out they have fitted revised multiair units recently, it may yet prove a gem.
Alternatively, if failures continue and repair isn't made cheaper by dissecting the unit, you won't be able to give one away in years to come.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Certainly would agree where many failures are concerned, but on my Sisters TwinAir it failed at only 10,000 miles, so was still on the original oil from the factory, and hadn't really done enough miles for that oil to have deteriorated.

I couldn't say whether it was overfilled at the factory as I didn't look, but when she looked she said it'd used some oil, so wasn't overfull for long even if it was initially. Seems to me that some of the failures are just down to dodgy components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts