Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to everyone from Croatia! Been following this forum for a while and decided to join now because I see that there is a lot of knowledge about Alfa's here. Didn't post in the multiair faliure database because there hasn't been a post for a few months..
Here's the problem. Recently bought an Giulietta 1.4 170 tct, 2012, 85000km, everything was fine till I decided to change the oil, it was changed last year about this time and it has done 14000km since then. I used Castrol Magnatec 5w40 with Fiat's S2 specification as the manual suggests. Also I removed and cleaned the MA filter, it was completley clean and decided to reinstall it. After about 5km i got a ce light and start stop disabled. Got a mini heart attack. Limped home, cleared the fault (p1063) , a friend did a MA reset, (dont know the actual name of the procedure in MES) started her up and drove fine for about 80km yesterday. Today when I started her up, almost instantly i got the ce light and start stop disabled, also the car was running on 3 cyl. (screenshot of the faults below). Removed the MA filter again and noticed that the o ring on it is almost flat with the filter body. Replaced the o ring with a suitable one just to try it out because I can't get a new one till next week, if then. Started the car, rough idle again, but after a few minutes everything ok. Couldn't even hear the engine running. Cleared the faults, went for a ride, everything great.
Now, my question is: could a bad gasket on the filter be the cause of the problem, could the system lose pressure because of it?? Hoping that someone with better knowledge of the MA internals will know.
Sorry for the novel and sorry for my english
Really hoping for an advice because these petrol cars are really rare and the official Alfa dealer didn't even know about the filter until I sent them the part number.

Poslano sa mog BLA-L29 koristeći Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully it's fine now. I don't know if the O-ring was the problem though. Were there any oil leaks?

Interestingly though, comparing the old vs the new filter in this article and you see a difference in O-ring shape.

https://www.mitoregister.com/fileadmin/MitoRegister/Docs/HowTo_Guides_Useful_Info/MiTo_MultiAir_Filter_Guide_v4.pdf
Yeah, the photo of the new filter gave me the clue. Forgot to mention, oil is leaking slightly from the bolts that hold the ignition coils in place on cyl3 and 4. The plug holes itself are dry. Weird

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
113 Posts
Think I’ll pull mine out at the 30000kms oil change. Ours was bought new - first change at 800kms, second at 7000, third at 15000 and fourth at 22000.

15000 is too long imo for these highly strung engines with such a small sump capacity.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My G is a 2011 version. The attached photo shows the MA filter replaced as routine at 48,975 miles. The o-ring looks flattened but perhaps not as much as yours. The mechanic who did the work (Pud237 on here) gave the old filter to me and said that a wash in petrol and it could be reused if I wanted to save money next time it was changed. This was in 2016 when the belts and water pump were replaced. I had no multiair problems until 2018 when the engine would momentarily misfire and the engine management light came on and DNA was disabled. In-between the engine ran fine and drove ok except for the lack of DNA. A read of the fault codes indicated P1061-71 stored (rather than active) which is "cylinder 1 UNIAIR actuation electrovalve signal - Actuator stuck". I was advised the engine was ok to use but take care, do not drive it hard and if the problem got worse review the situation. To cut a long story short I had the multiair unit replaced as a confidence measure.
The whole story is detail here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1159586-help-error-message.html

I suspect that if you are getting both P1061 and P1062 codes then actuators on two cylinders are sticking but not necessarily at the same time as they show as pending not active. This might be due to a lack of pressure rather than mechanical sticking. If your suspicions are correct then you should have no further problems but my advice would be the same as was given to me. Take care, don't push it too hard and see how it goes.

All the best and fingers crossed it is sorted.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My G is a 2011 version. The attached photo shows the MA filter replaced as routine at 48,975 miles. The o-ring looks flattened but perhaps not as much as yours. The mechanic who did the work (Pud237 on here) gave the old filter to me and said that a wash in petrol and it could be reused if I wanted to save money next time it was changed. This was in 2016 when the belts and water pump were replaced. I had no multiair problems until 2018 when the engine would momentarily misfire and the engine management light came on and DNA was disabled. In-between the engine ran fine and drove ok except for the lack of DNA. A read of the fault codes indicated P1061-71 stored (rather than active) which is "cylinder 1 UNIAIR actuation electrovalve signal - Actuator stuck". I was advised the engine was ok to use but take care, do not drive it hard and if the problem got worse review the situation. To cut a long story short I had the multiair unit replaced as a confidence measure.
The whole story is detail here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1159586-help-error-message.html

I suspect that if you are getting both P1061 and P1062 codes then actuators on two cylinders are sticking but not necessarily at the same time as they show as pending not active. This might be due to a lack of pressure rather than mechanical sticking. If your suspicions are correct then you should have no further problems but my advice would be the same as was given to me. Take care, don't push it too hard and see how it goes.

All the best and fingers crossed it is sorted.
Interesting information, thank you! You didn't by any chance have a look at the old failed unit to see what was wrong with it? I think I will be preparing myself to bite the bullet and replace the unit because i really like the car and didn't buy it to drive sensible really Btw, my local Alfa dealer didn't even know the little filter exsists, had to send them the part number so they could order a new one.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I did not get a chance to see the old unit. It was changed by Alfaworkshop and the nearest I got was seeing the mechanic dump it in the scrap bin. In all honesty I don't think there would have been anything to see without dismantling it and they do not have the time or need to examine the old units.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About Multiair Problem I faced two times this problem specifically 4th cylider low pressure.Some mechanics they said you have to replaced multiair unit which too expesive for me then I researched some oil specifications with all brands then I decided to use mobil 1 0w40 oil. First I got unit cleaned with filter then I used mobil 1 0w40 so problem was solved. If you live cold places I certainly advice use 0w40 mobil 1 its better than others especially with cold engine oil fluidty. Try this way maybe you would be lucky as me.
Have a good day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts