Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
i own a 2012 Alfa Mito MultiAir 77 kW. To avoid MultiAir issues, i changed the engine oil each year after about 10'000 km. After the oil change at 110'000 a few weeks ago, i got a MultiAir actor Error P1064. Until then, i never had an issue with my MiTo. I've read a lot about the MultiAir unit and know how it works and the newer units after 2012 should not fail often.
The Error always occurs in the morning when the engine is cold. After a few meters drive, always exactly at the same point, the error light turns on. The engine turns rough for a few seconds, then all works fine again. I can connect an OBD scanner, clear the codes and my car runs fine without any problems for hours.
The next morning the same.

What I've already done:
- cleaned the multiAir filter
- Checked the spark plugs - looked ok, have been replaced at 100'000km
- turned the spark plug zyl. 4 to 3, error stayed at cyl. 4
- checked the engine oil temp sensor, resistance seems ok cold / warm (could not read correct temperature with my OBD scanner, but when I disconnected it I got an error code)
- calibration procedure for the multi air actuators, a few times
- battery does not feel low, but i did not replace
- It's the first multiAir module, but I've read that after 2012 the unit should not make problems in general

Has anyone an idea if this specific error is caused of a defective multiAir unit? Maybe the solenoid is stuck and I can clean it? I don't want to spend 1000.- for a new unit if not really needed.
Thanks for all new ideas.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Have you ever changed the small MultiAir oil filter?
If not try to change it to see if it fixes the problem

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
If the error is on cyl 4 could it be the coil pack?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
No.4 solenoid. That was the culprit on my daughter's Giulietta. Not replaceable individually as they appear to be pressed in. At least I've not been able to extract one! You could try cleaning the connector to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No.4 solenoid. That was the culprit on my daughter's Giulietta. Not replaceable individually as they appear to be pressed in. At least I've not been able to extract one! You could try cleaning the connector to it.
This is what I thought, too. I hoped, it's possible to disassembly and clean the solenoid.
Maybe I have to change the unit anyway.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I've seen a total of 7 failed units including the one I mentioned, first four were where the hydraulic cylinders came loose and fretted the threads, subsequent units were sound as far as the cylinders were concerned, I presume therefore that there was a modification that prevented, or at least reduced, the occurrence of that. The last three were solenoid failures, sounds as though yours is sticky first thing in the cold and then frees up and works correctly. Unfortunately the situation does worsen until a new unit is required. It isn't a difficult job and although the guides say to remove the vacuum pump shield that isn't necessary, just remove the bolts that hold it on, there's one 10 mm (spanner size) nut that comes off easily but then use two nuts tightened against each other to remove the stud. The the unit will lift straight upwards. The bolts holding the unit down were Ribe and needed Ribe bits, and the bolts were very tight in some places. Prime the new unit, I used a 60 ml. syringe (several times), with fresh oil, be prepared for the engine to turn over for a while before it will fire, very disconcerting!

There is an excellent guide on how to do it on Alfaworkshop's site.

https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Alfa_MiTo_Giulietta_1.4_Turbo_Multiair_actuator_removal.shtml

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How should I prime the new unit? Should I put the new oil through the small hole, closed by a spring-pressed ball, marked in the picture? It should be pre-filled with 200ml oil, I guess.
I found a very detailed description of the multiair unit here:
https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=auto_pres

Just curious: Most of the units seemed to fail after an oil change. Is it better to turn the engine for some time with disconnected coil packs, just to fill the oil filter and multiair unit with oil before the engine starts? I had a message "low oil pressure" after the engine start.

Thank you for all the hints.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
That's the priming hole you need correctly described. I just kept pushing oil through until it was coming out of all the exit holes with no air bubbles. As far as disconnecting coil packs that could cause errors to come up.
Change the supply micro filter too.
There is a jig to hold the hydraulic valves in, but then keeping cam followers in place while the unit is lowered into place is tricky, so not absolutely required if you're careful when tightening the retaining bolts evenly. I put an extra small dab of gasket sealant at the ends of the metal strip gasket.

Note: you'll need the solenoid connector clip to engine bracket from the old unit, otherwise you might spend time wondering where it has got to!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts