Alfa Romeo Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
33,779 Posts
2013 is a bit late for an MA failure. Sounds like they've used "oil" rather than correct oil. Not sure if just correcting oil will fix it. The handbook says you can use wrong oil for very limited miles , I recall. My 2011 MA car did a misfire once at 14000 miles as I was following the 18000 mile interval. The oil was low. I got it taken by low loader to dealer Asap without using the engine again. After a service with new oil and filter it was fine until I sold it at 63000 miles. There's a lot of nonsense about the MA unit but if it's abused on an early one it doesn't like it!

·
Vendor
45,475 Posts
How do all. Just bought a 2013 giulietta ma turbo from available car (car supermarket type place) it has 40 000 mls on the clock. Last owner missed second service and available car changed oil and filter not full service so not a great start from what I'm reading. From cold I have the rough running / major lack of power / kangarooing under attempted accel many have mentioned (no warning lights and OK after about 10 mins and up to temp) so....... I need to get available car back on it before my 3 months warranty runs out. I need to make sure correct amount and spec of oil was used. New / correct spark plugs but I'm not sure whether I'll need a new ma unit as well. Do you guys think oil and plugs is enough to sort or once this starts happening new ma unit as well? Might be hard to say but thoughts appreciated! I'm worried about a short term fix with say spark plugs but damage has been done to ma and I'll cop a large bill outside of warranty! Sorry that was very long!
First port of call would be to check plugs, replace if necessary. Drop engine oil, replace oil filter, also remove the Multiair strainer cartridge from the side of the cylinder head behind the cambelt cover and ensure it hasn't been clogged up with debris. Then refill with correct grade oil and see if it has changed anything. If you still have misfires, particularly if it is just one cylinder that is doing it, then likely the MA unit needs changing, but further diagnosis should rule out other possible causes first (broken wire, coil pack etc).

·
Registered
33,779 Posts
The first service that fixed my MA included the plugs so that may well have fixed it. The temptation to diagnose a failed MA unit is understandable but who knows how many haven't needed it? Interestingly , the plugs were not listed at first service on my 2017 MA, but then the interval is now a more sensible 9000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Post oil, filter, plugs and coil pack change it turned out it was the multiair unit. They did a pretty good job of making sure that was definitely the issue. Borrowed a unit off a second car they had for sale. Then fitted a brand new unit having confirmed that was the issue. Managed to strip one of the fixing threads and had to helecoil it but, fingers crossed, all sorted now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Last week i had the dreaded multiair fail on my Mito. I have 1.4t version (135hp) with 40K km on the engine on 3 years and 1 month.

My warranty has just finished and am on a process of a formal complain to Alfa Romeo, its a pity such a known and serious problem not be properly taken care of.
I have spoken and wrote to many people that had the same problem , and i wonder why didnt Alfa Romeo made a policy of covering these failed units...

I expect that Punto Evo multiairs will most likely have similar problems as well as some Giulietta.

So could you please share your thoughts on this issue. Maybe we can make a list of all the people that had this problem. Seeing my engine failing like this was very sad, just over 3 years old , this is unacceptable and distressing problem that takes time to fix and i dont even know if they have fixed their units or we will be changing a Multiair unit every 30-40K ?!?!

I thought that if we make a list of all the cars that had this problem it will act as a leverage for future owners also that will have the same problem and will require a refund of the services.

I decided to write this here ruther than the Greek forum since I believe its one of the most active forums for the Alfisti world in EU.
Hi
Yes I have the same problem but at 50.000 Kms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
another one or two..

My multiair unit failed at around 170k was replaced and the replaced multiair failed at 185k again (and it was replaced again under warranty), My dealer stated that they are recommending an oil flush with every major service... (they also told me the problems with the multiair are super common and they replace loads!)

Mito 105 Centenario 2010 (late). Always used the correct selenia oil until my dealer started selling other oil for some reason..(with the correct spec).

·
Registered
4 Posts
MA getting replaced

2011 alfa mito TCT

mine at 73k

Had trouble with misfire cylinder 2 last year (October) limp mode check engine message etc
all sparks and coils changed (lasted until December)

Then December I had cylinder 2 spark changed (only 2 months old) and oil and filter change and all was OK until 3 weeks ago.

This time misfire cylinder 1, I changed plug 1 week ago and yesterday misfire cylinder 1 came back and also some pending codes for cylinder 2

Anyway its in the garage for repair also been using a lot of oil nearly 4ltrs since December

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2011 giulietta multiair 170bhp. Was starting to run rough and lost all power had to turn the engine off then it would run again no codes or check engine warning, ran fine although rough for a week short slow journeys to and from work whilst waiting for new plugs to arrive, changed plugs ran really smooth 30 minutes into my test run lost power check engine light warning amongst other messages, plugged it in on the side of the road.

Random/multiple misfires
Cylinder 1 missfire
Cylinder 2 missfire
Map sensor range / performance problem

Booked in Monday, dose this sound like the beginning of a multiair failure?

I'm fairly certain the oil level has stayed the same though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
After living with occasional P1064 fault codes for more than half a year I reached a local Alfa expert who removed and diagnosed the multiair unit for me. What he found was a damaged gasket and a broken lifter housing on the 4th cylinder. Do you have any idea how such a damage could be developed? Unlucky enough, he couldn't find the missing part...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Zoltan,

If you need a used valve lifter housing, just drop me a pm. I have some parts left from a salvage unit.

Regards
ZeiPii

·
Registered
3 Posts
135 MA oily spark plugs

Bought a 135 mito last week with 65k.

Went to change spark plugs today and cylinder 1 and 4 had some oil in the top but on removing the spark plugs the threaded ends were soaked in oil. No problems from the car. No error codes or any feeling of misfire. Should i send it back to the dealer asap?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bought a 135 mito last week with 65k.

Went to change spark plugs today and cylinder 1 and 4 had some oil in the top but on removing the spark plugs the threaded ends were soaked in oil. No problems from the car. No error codes or any feeling of misfire. Should i send it back to the dealer asap?
Probably just the oil seals on top leaking. Common issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 MultiAir issues?

Evening everyone,

Looking to buy my wife a car and we tried a lovely 2014/63 Mito with 1.4 multiair 135 bhp engine last Saturday. If I have understood it correctly, the two number 63 mean that the car is from 2013? I've currently got it reserved and we're planning to close the deal next Saturday after closer inspection, however, this thread has really gotten me worried that I will be making the wrong decision. Could anyone here offer any advice? I noticed that most issues seem to have been with 2010 models but...?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
101 Posts
63 plate means it was registered late 2013 / early 2014.

Early cars (2010) do seem more prone to multiair failure. However, all cars have their issues which could potentially cost lots of money. If you like the car and the rest of it checks out then it would be a shame to dismiss it entirely for a potential issue you may never have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening All,

Looking for a little help from the experts..

My mito 1.4 Multiair (135) failed on me a few weeks ago. I stripped the top end and discovered a burnt valve, the car was using a bit of oil so i replaced the piston rings too. I then rebuilt the head and now have some weird compression issues...

With the multiair unit removed from the head i get around 50psi compression on all four cylinders - pressure doesnt go much higher than that because the inlet valves arent opening to let more air in.
With the multiair unit fitted (and primed correctly) i get no compression on all four cylinders, its like the multiair unit is depressing the inlet valves slightly thus letting all the pressure escape. I have tried repeated cranking to bring the oil pressure up, I gave it a short tow too just incase the cranking wasnt enough.

Its all timed up correctly, hitting the timing marks and i did a secondary check with top dead centre etc. Multi

Thanks in advance
Kris

·
Registered
20 Posts
another one or two..

My multiair unit failed at around 170k was replaced and the replaced multiair failed at 185k again (and it was replaced again under warranty), My dealer stated that they are recommending an oil flush with every major service... (they also told me the problems with the multiair are super common and they replace loads!)

Mito 105 Centenario 2010 (late). Always used the correct selenia oil until my dealer started selling other oil for some reason..(with the correct spec).
Here we go again 217k kms had error code P1062 two weeks ago... sorted itself out (did go and get it checked out) and yesterday again... have been using correct oil from the start.

So here i am staring at another 1200 euro or something and a 3rd multiair unit.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts