Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last week i had the dreaded multiair fail on my Mito. I have 1.4t version (135hp) with 40K km on the engine on 3 years and 1 month.

My warranty has just finished and am on a process of a formal complain to Alfa Romeo, its a pity such a known and serious problem not be properly taken care of.
I have spoken and wrote to many people that had the same problem , and i wonder why didnt Alfa Romeo made a policy of covering these failed units...

I expect that Punto Evo multiairs will most likely have similar problems as well as some Giulietta.

So could you please share your thoughts on this issue. Maybe we can make a list of all the people that had this problem. Seeing my engine failing like this was very sad, just over 3 years old , this is unacceptable and distressing problem that takes time to fix and i dont even know if they have fixed their units or we will be changing a Multiair unit every 30-40K ?!?!

I thought that if we make a list of all the cars that had this problem it will act as a leverage for future owners also that will have the same problem and will require a refund of the services.

I decided to write this here ruther than the Greek forum since I believe its one of the most active forums for the Alfisti world in EU.

·
Vendor
45,475 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.

It would be interesting to note how many times your engine oil & filter was changed too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for me typically the 2 services (15K - 30K km ) and between also round the 7.5K km mark (which are not listed in the service book but for personal peace of mind)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My MultiAir failed a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to be on its way out for a while then finally keeled over with the EML on & check engine message.
Car is 2 & 1/2 yr old, 21,500 on the clock. Had its first service back in january.
Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My MultiAir failed a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to be on its way out for a while then finally keeled over with the EML on & check engine message.
Car is 2 & 1/2 yr old, 21,500 on the clock. Had its first service back in january.
Replaced under warranty.
---
Multiair failure - bit of a vague description is it not?
Multiair is comprised of a number of devices working together.

What part of the multiair system failed?
One of the four hydraulic actuators?
One of the four hydraulic pistons that drives the actuators?
The Ecu controlling it all?
...or something else.

What did the dealer report it as? What were the symptoms of it's failure?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot but if a dealer said to me "your multiair unit has failed"
The first thing I would be asking is "well - what part of it has failed?".
It all sounds too vague and open for abuse by a (Possibly) unscrupulous dealer - imo.

It would be useful info for all of us to know!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The information was a bit vague, but I have feeling the ECU failed as an obdc reader plugged in couldn't talk to the ECU.
No information could be read at all & when I got in all the trips had been reset. Trip B was a running total from when I picked it up & now its back to zero.
I'll ask the dealer tomorrow if I can get what failed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The information was a bit vague, but I have feeling the ECU failed as an obdc reader plugged in couldn't talk to the ECU.
No information could be read at all & when I got in all the trips had been reset. Trip B was a running total from when I picked it up & now its back to zero.
I'll ask the dealer tomorrow if I can get what failed.
---
Thanks Shoei!
Much appreciated.
If it is the Ecu (?) - then although it's very expensive - it shouldn't cause catastrophic failure of the engine!!

Btw - Trip B (and A) are reset if the battery is disconnected, which is probably what happened when they were working on your car.

In your case - what were the symptoms - what did you notice????

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me its the whole top part of the engine above the cylinders which apparently comes as one piece from Alfa, they change it all together...

P 1320 - Multiair
P0301 , P0303 , P0300 - misfires

Those were the errors from the scan they made. The car had an engine light on and was working on three cylinders...i was very lucky to be very near my dealership for an irrelevant errant and drove it straight in.

If there was a way to separate which part of the multiair was failing I am sure they would told me about it. But since they had the same problem to other cars they knew that the multiair unit comes as one piece replacement.
If they told me wrong then alfa romeo really need to be looking into they official garages but I doubt they would make such a big mistake on the car's problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
---
Thanks Shoei!
Much appreciated.
If it is the Ecu (?) - then although it's very expensive - it shouldn't cause catastrophic failure of the engine!!

Btw - Trip B (and A) are reset if the battery is disconnected, which is probably what happened when they were working on your car.

In your case - what were the symptoms - what did you notice????

:)
First symptoms were a very lumpy tick over. Then stop/start would turned off. This went on for a while, couple of weeks. I put it down to fuel quality. Usually run her on super unleaded & had put a couple of tanks of normal unleaded.
then the EML light would flash when I stopped. Final bit was a drive home, s/s went then dynamic/all weather disabled message popped up followed by EML & "check engine" message.
Alfa connect sent recovery out. He tried obdc reader on her but got nothing back at all, no info not even make. So that could point to the ECU being at fault.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mine failed in march this year just before it was due for the 36k service. it was just under 3 years old. they covered it under warranty. Good luck with your claim because the anecdotal information I have learnt form this site is that it is quite common.
It's going to be this engine's version of the cambelt problem that existed with older engines

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My Punto's hasn't failed but I suspect it may be coming. very occasionally i have had a really lumpy idle on cold start which was remedied by stopping and starting the engine again. It used to stall when pulling away on a cold start but hasn't done that it in a while and occasionally the engine will sound very rattely when slowing down for a junction.

I want to give it a full service but i don't trust the fiat Monkeys at my local dealer and I believe that if i service it myself then it will void the warenty. Believe me, a blind 4 year old could have done a better job at servicing my car than the dealers.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i did see it...hope all goes well with the gearbox.

I am still on the wait from Alfa for an official reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
had an engine warning light which when investigated was both oil in spark plugs and mutiair unit failure

Also *just* caught a gearbox oil leak under the last week of warranty

(starting to think we will get rid next year at end of PCP)

3 years old, 43000m, driven hard on 98 ron
yes i did see it...is your engine now working flawlesly as before?
I believe that the oil in the spark plugs is derived from the multiair problem...

Hope all goes well with your gearbox.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My engine is working as before but I would say it maybe down 5% or so on power

I had heard that the 135 engines often actually put out over 140bhp and now wonder if this new unit has taken it back to 135bhp

·
Registered
453 Posts
---
Multiair failure - bit of a vague description is it not?
Multiair is comprised of a number of devices working together.

What part of the multiair system failed?
One of the four hydraulic actuators?
One of the four hydraulic pistons that drives the actuators?
The Ecu controlling it all?
...or something else.

What did the dealer report it as? What were the symptoms of it's failure?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot but if a dealer said to me "your multiair unit has failed"
The first thing I would be asking is "well - what part of it has failed?".
It all sounds too vague and open for abuse by a (Possibly) unscrupulous dealer - imo.

It would be useful info for all of us to know!
:thumbs:
---
Adding to this...
Looks like I stand corrected guys and girls!!
Just managed to get onto Eper and it IS a single unit!
651 Euros! Item No1.
Interestingly there are 2 variants for this particular part No.
What does that tell you?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
according to my research they have changed the module...the new one has a code number 55236341.
I guess they realised the problem.....and hoping the new one wont give up again on 40K

No wonder its so expensive its one piece half the engine block :p

·
Registered
33,779 Posts
So, how common is this issue?
Are there enough cases to create a "data base"
My MA behaved strangely on one day about eight months ago and following a service seems ok .

1 - 20 of 259 Posts