Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there changed a clutch master cylinder in a Multiair? I've a feeling mine is beginning to let some fluid past the seal - it sometimes needs to be pumped, particularly after running for a while in top gear, like on a motorway. There is no evidence of leaking.

Looking at a picture of the cylinder, it looks like it fixes with some kind of bayonet arrangement and the actuator rod is a push fit onto the pedal. On the engine bay side, there is the usual hose clamp and pipe union (which looks like some kind of clip-in arrangement). Does it come out via the engine bay or the footwell? What may need to be dismantled to get to it? Access on the engine bay side looks a lot better than when I did one on a 147 a few years ago - that was a nightmare on both sides of the bulkhead.

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
I think it is the same as on the diesel...

I think you mostly have it sussed. It does indeen have a bayonet type fitting, where by you twist it 45º and it will then pull out from the engine compartment after you disconnect it from the pedal (it just clips on)

On ours I removed the ECU to gain more space as well as unclipping the pipes to allow it to come out.

Our "Master cylinder" fault turned out to be the clutch itself. 2 of the fingers had broken on the cover plate making the clutch hard to disengage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is the same as on the diesel...

I think you mostly have it sussed. It does indeen have a bayonet type fitting, where by you twist it 45º and it will then pull out from the engine compartment after you disconnect it from the pedal (it just clips on)

On ours I removed the ECU to gain more space as well as unclipping the pipes to allow it to come out.

Our "Master cylinder" fault turned out to be the clutch itself. 2 of the fingers had broken on the cover plate making the clutch hard to disengage.
Thanks Symon,
How was access in the foot well? With the the MA engine, there looks to be a reasonable amount of space in the engine bay to get it out without dismantling anything else (famous last words).

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
There is plenty of space in the footwell. You might need a fair bit of force to unclip the connector from the pedal, but it will come off. Make sure that you have a small hose clamp handy before you do the job as the one which takes the fluid to the cylinder isn't meant to be reused.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Symon. Sounds like a Saturday project - I'll post my experiences when it's done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts