Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So we are all in furious agreement around here then :) Was hoping some of the “Selenia or death” (with apologies to Eddie Izzard) crowd would pop in...

In Oz they say 15K kms (or 12 months) servicing, i halve that to 7500kms.

It’s got bugger all sump capacity, works the oil stupidly hard, and even has the dump pipe running right past the sump pan - about as bad a situation for the oil as it gets...

Looking forward to my next car being a Model 3 - this internal combustion caper is getting old...

·
Registered
34,763 Posts
Tesla has just done some serious deforestation near Berlin not that far from the home of VW! Everybody thinks electric is the next thing. Driving less is doing great things for the environment at the moment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tesla has just done some serious deforestation near Berlin not that far from the home of VW! Everybody thinks electric is the next thing. Driving less is doing great things for the environment at the moment.
Thats because electric is the next thing. Thats not actually in debate by anyone in the automotive industry.

Citing the clearing an industrial precinct as a criticism of the broader industry (or Tesla) and its environmental claims misses so many points I wouldn't even know where to start... ICE is dead long term. Our G is the last ICE I'll buy with the exception perhaps of a Trafic van to do some travelling around Australia in. We will drive it until it drops and move to a used Model 3.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So we are all in furious agreement around here then :) Was hoping some of the “Selenia or death” (with apologies to Eddie Izzard) crowd would pop in...

In Oz they say 15K kms (or 12 months) servicing, i halve that to 7500kms.

It’s got bugger all sump capacity, works the oil stupidly hard, and even has the dump pipe running right past the sump pan - about as bad a situation for the oil as it gets...

Looking forward to my next car being a Model 3 - this internal combustion caper is getting old...
Are you clairvoyant or a mind reader? I change my Giulietta Veloce Oil at 7,500 and 4C at 5,000km. I see more than a little viscosity loss probably due to fuel contamination. The last oil analysis showed about 2% fuel dilution and what I would describe as an alarming loss of viscosity over 5,000km. That’s why the regular oil changes...Me, I like noise. The sound of of internal combustion over electric for cars and preferring steam over diesel for loco’s and piston engined props over turbines for aircraft. Dinosaur here, but accept the inevitability of change.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thats super interesting about the fuel contamination! I'll remember that in case i ever get lazy and let the oil run over my 7500... This I would guess due to the constant drive to reduce friction in modern engines that includes less piston ring tension and hence higher blow by when combined with the high boost the Alfas run.

I like the noise too (although 1.4MA isn't terribly inspiring, and sounds like a bloody tractor when its cold...), dont get me wrong. I'm a massive petrol head - but im also more a tech head and I love the sound of an EV too. Yes, they do make noise and they have their own thing going on thats just as cool ;) Just different.

As much as I enjoy fixing cars (as evidenced currently by the massive Megane rebuild project half done in my carport...), it will be nice not dealing with the messy and finicky and fragile internal combustion business for the daily. Keep the dino cars for weekend fun ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just to quantify the viscosity losses of the oil over 5,000km, about 20% at 40 deg C and 13% at 100 deg C. I’m not a lubrication engineer to be able to explain why the viscosity losses are different at different temps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just to quantify the viscosity losses of the oil over 5,000km, about 20% at 40 deg C and 13% at 100 deg C. I’m not a lubrication engineer to be able to explain why the viscosity losses are different at different temps.
Wow, thats a lot. There was a 4C thread on bobistheoilguy forum in the US (where I discovered SHU is rebadged for the US market as Pennzoil Euro and what Fiat Chrysler recommend for our MA engines), wonder if your experience is replicated or whether you might have an issue?

And I guess the % drop in viscosity is less when the oil is less viscous - same loss due to contamination but relativly less. Im probably explaining that poorly...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wow, thats a lot. There was a 4C thread on bobistheoilguy forum in the US (where I discovered SHU is rebadged for the US market as Pennzoil Euro and what Fiat Chrysler recommend for our MA engines), wonder if your experience is replicated or whether you might have an issue?

And I guess the % drop in viscosity is less when the oil is less viscous - same loss due to contamination but relativly less. Im probably explaining that poorly...
That’s how I read it too, but an explanation on a deeper level would be nice to have. The oil actually checked out as OK but I was concerned with the viscosity losses. I’ll get the oil analysed again at each of the next few changes to see if there’s a consistent pattern in the results. I’ll also get new oil tested just to see if it meets advertised specs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That’s how I read it too, but an explanation on a deeper level would be nice to have. The oil actually checked out as OK but I was concerned with the viscosity losses. I’ll get the oil analysed again at each of the next few changes to see if there’s a consistent pattern in the results. I’ll also get new oil tested just to see if it meets advertised specs.
A known issue with the direct injection 1750. Just mitigate it with more oil changes and using the best oil I can afford. My wish is that more would get their oil analysed to see any patterns emerging with different oils and longer or shorter change intervals, but not many seem to be bothered. Ignorance being bliss the preferred option.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts