Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

Yes, i know - another MultiAir thread :party:

I fear my MultiAir unit is starting to give up. I have had my G for almost a year now, and it has had a tendency to hesitate ever so slightly when on full throttle at around 3.000 rpm. Very minor hesitation, but it has been there from time to time.

I changed the oil a couple of days ago, and now it's acting up. Cold start is fine, but after driving for a minute or three, i suddenly have cylinder deactivation mode set in, and only run on three - of course with vibrations and power loss. After a few hundred meters it goes away again, and everything runs great. No warning lights or anything show up on the dash.

Do you think the issue will clear itself for good, or will it only get worse? Any tips on how to diagnose further? Am i safe enough to keep on driving?

I used Selenia 5w-40 MultiAir oil - don't know what oil was used previously though, and i might have run on it a tad too long.
Spark plugs were changed last summer, approx. 15000 km / 9000 miles ago.

It's a 2013 1.4 170, coming up on 100.000 km / 60.000 miles

Thanks!
-Alex

·
Registered
232 Posts
When you say 'MultiAir oil' do you mean Selenia Star Pure Energy which is the correct oil?
There's a filter in the multiair unit which may be worth cleaning or replacing.
Also, try take the cover off the top of the engine an re-seatig the connectors to the coils and injectors. I had a misfire that was fixed by doing this.
The other thing is to connect it to a code reader to seee if there are any error codes. Make sure it's Alfa specific like MultiECUScan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am waiting for a new MA-filter to arrive in the mail - just got impatient and wanted to do the oil change, and figured i can just change the filter when it arrives. I know it's not optimal, but neither is running on overdue oil.

I will try reseating the coils and connectors, but i doubt it will change much, as it suspiciously started acting up on the second drive after the oil change.

This is the oil i used.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have any fault codes? Many MultiAir-failures will have codes and misfires. Dodge Dart owners report hesitation and problems from the ignition system in the 2500RPM range, and they usually have to change coils at relatively low mileage. There are a ton of things that aren't the MultiAir unit that can cause hesitation and odd idle. Some examples are bad/dirty MAF, bad/dirty throttle body, bad fuel pump, vacuum leaks, bad spark plugs, bad coils etc. Some are more likely than others, but even if it turns out to be the MA unit, the other things should be excluded first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you are absolutely right! I really need to get an ODB-tool.
I don't know if i have any codes, all i know is that nothing came up on the dash.
I just drove home from work - the fourth drive after changing oil - maybe slightly rough in low revs, but might aswell just be cold engine. The big thing though was that it behaved as it should! No misfires or running on 3 cylinders.
I got the new MA filter in the mail, so i'll change that ASAP, and then take it on a longer drive tomorrow and cross my fingers that it was just being a diva :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I am sorry to have to say it but the initial symptoms sound much like I experienced last year. For the full story see this thread
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1159586-help-error-message.html
I ended up having the multiair unit replaced by Alfaworkshop and have had no problems since. I didn't think it would happen to my car as I had had it virtually from new and had the oil changed every 9k but at 73k I started having momentary misfires which put the eml on but otherwise it drove fine. The consensus was that it was likely the multiair unit, and the codes backed this up but at that stage it was just a matter of watching out for further problems. However I was not prepared to risk it suddenly getting worse while abroad, on holiday, so bit the bullet and got the unit replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i'm mentally preparing myself for an MA-unit replacement, just crossing everything I can that it's something else, or that it at least can wait a little..
Just replaced the filter and went for a small drive - no issues at all!
-except that what I thought was a worn drop link turned out to be something else..

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
I am sorry to have to say it but the initial symptoms sound much like I experienced last year. For the full story see this thread
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1159586-help-error-message.html
I ended up having the multiair unit replaced by Alfaworkshop and have had no problems since. I didn't think it would happen to my car as I had had it virtually from new and had the oil changed every 9k but at 73k I started having momentary misfires which put the eml on but otherwise it drove fine. The consensus was that it was likely the multiair unit, and the codes backed this up but at that stage it was just a matter of watching out for further problems. However I was not prepared to risk it suddenly getting worse while abroad, on holiday, so bit the bullet and got the unit replaced.
It’d be good to consolidate this new thread and yours Tony to make research easier for future sufferers? Not that it’s all that common, fortunately...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Last year I had the hesitation at around 2.5k revs, no engine codes.

Then one day it gave up big time, one spark plug and physical damage on the MA unit.

Valves replaced but first new MA was giving error codes hence ended up with a younger used engine block and MA being put in.

So maybe worth replacing the MA sooner rather than later if nothing else helps.

Now do 9k oil changes and enjoy driving it, great engine but seems some earlier ones were dud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am waiting for a new MA-filter to arrive in the mail - just got impatient and wanted to do the oil change, and figured i can just change the filter when it arrives. I know it's not optimal, but neither is running on overdue oil.

I will try reseating the coils and connectors, but i doubt it will change much, as it suspiciously started acting up on the second drive after the oil change.

This is the oil i used.
Had the exact same symptoms after an oil service. Drove home from dealer fine, following morning rough running and dash warnings, no start-stop available.

Dealer collected the car and returned it later that day stating, they had reseated the coils. This rectified the problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had the exact same symptoms after an oil service. Drove home from dealer fine, following morning rough running and dash warnings, no start-stop available.

Dealer collected the car and returned it later that day stating, they had reseated the coils. This rectified the problem.
And me as well. Reseated the yellow connectors to the coils and it cured the problem. Got to be worth a try!

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
As I’ve said before, hearing this “repair” with no parts, I do wonder how many diagnoses of MA engines have been pessimistic because of the opportunity to create a bit of income...

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
As I’ve said before, hearing this “repair” with no parts, I do wonder how many diagnoses of MA engines have been pessimistic because of the opportunity to create a bit of income...

I am sure this sort of thing is quite common, and has been ever since cars and garages were invented.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And me as well. Reseated the yellow connectors to the coils and it cured the problem. Got to be worth a try!
I have a new issue that i'm struggling to figure out.
My giulietta when warm has a high tickover - around 900rpm. The car can go weeks running like this, then suddenly the idle speed returns to normal for a few days before running high again.

Had the car checked for vacuum leaks - nothing found.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts