Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cars, am the registered keeper and sole driver of both.
I currently have 2 separate policies (each with 9 yrs plus no-claims bonus) with direct line.

Just got renewal through for my 156 and thought it a bit steep.
awful meerkats gave a quote £200 less :eek:

Admiral multi-car offered insurance for both cars for less than Direct line were wanting for just the 156:eek:

Does anyone have any experience of Admiral, the multi-car in particular?
This seems to be one policy for several cars, as opposed to two separate policies each with their own distinct no-claims records.

Are there any downsides, implications I should be aware of before taking this route to halve my car insurance costs?:confused:

Sorry for the boring post:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
My family (3 cars) has used Admiral Multi Car. Each Driver/Car was a separate policy earning their own NCB. We changed last year because changes in circumstances made separate policies cheaper. We quite happily took all the NCB over to the new policies

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've got four cars covered by a company called Britinsure via a broker called Primo. Most multi policies only really work for three or more cars. I pay just under £1000.00 per year for fully comp which covers all four for both me and my wife to drive. There are no mileage limitations and two of the cars a V6's !!!

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
In theory it shouldn't cost much more to insure yourself on more than one car.

After all, you can't drive both at the same time can you?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts

Yep always said the same. Worst that can happen is you reverse up the drive into the other car :lol:

..and even then it will be paid for by your insurance as the one your driving is covered too!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Using Admiral multicar for Daughters New Ford Ka and my own Car. Transfering saved daughter £300 and mine was about the same. Both cars have there own policy and bulid up seperate no claims. Cardiff call centres at Admiral so alls good on the comunication front too. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, and that seems to be the way Admiral are thinking - maybe someone should explain to Direct Line:)

Thanks for all the replies, looks like admiral is the way to go.

Anyone had any experience of claiming with them?
That's when you find out how good an insurance company really is;)

M

·
0 Posts
I've used Admiral since I got the GTA, that was 5 years ago. Frankly, they were the most competitive, and also very helpful on the phone.

I took a multicar policy with them when I got the Mondeo 18 months ago.

No complaints so far :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, looks like admiral is the way to go.

Anyone had any experience of claiming with them?
That's when you find out how good an insurance company really is;)
Put a claim in last year on my single car policy. They wanted the usual 3 quotes but when Alfa got involved & told them which repairer I wanted to use (i.e. an Alfa approved one) they were a good as gold and approved the repair the next day.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used Admiral since I got the GTA, that was 5 years ago. Frankly, they were the most competitive, and also very helpful on the phone.

I took a multicar policy with them when I got the Mondeo 18 months ago.

No complaints so far :thumbs:
Put a claim in last year on my single car policy. They wanted the usual 3 quotes but when Alfa got involved & told them which repairer I wanted to use (i.e. an Alfa approved one) they were a good as gold and approved the repair the next day.
More good news :)

Thanks guys :thumbs:

I'll call them tomorrow and go ahead so long as they can confirm I still get to keep both sets of no-claims bonus should I choose to swap insurers in the future.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
If you have two policies and two NCBs and you transfer to a MCP, then you convert them into 1 policy and 1 NCB.

If later on you want to leave the MCP and go back to 2 different policies (since no guarantee that MCP will always be cheapest...) you may find that your insurer(s) will only let you use your NCB once.

The second policy will have to start from zero NCB again.

It sounds a bit daft... since you have NCB and that should be irrefutable.. but insurance companies do tend to make up the rules to suit them... so just be careful.

I found with D/Line that they did try to hoik the premium this year.. but when I phoned to cancel it they mysteriously found a better option for me and I got my old premium back (bar £20-£30 difference). It's always worth ringing to cancel rather than just changing...

Ralf S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts