1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K

·
0 Posts
Poxy cheap red wine with a load of Asda Value mixed herbs thrown in to disguise the taste. ****e.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Let me put my cards on the table from the off. I think it is an abomination - it tastes dire and most people boil all of the alcohol away so you don't even get to forget how awful it was.

If you boil it you've done it wrong. Ethanol boils off at about 80'C, if it's bubbling it's not much good for anything more than liquid plant food.

I quite like the stuff. If it's done peoperly there is still plenty of booze in there but you don't taste it... then people start falling over.

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you boil it you've done it wrong. Ethanol boils off at about 80'C, if it's bubbling it's not much good for anything more than liquid plant food.

I quite like the stuff. If it's done peoperly there is still plenty of booze in there but you don't taste it... then people start falling over.

True,

Abigail, our daughter, came back from Brighton today - Liz picked her up from the station and asked me to make some mulled wine whilst she did it. I warmed a couple of bottles of red with the requisite spices.

At this point I should mention that Liz normally makes this travesty - she boils it to destruction.

As I say I "warmed" a couple of bottles after putting in the spices - they thought it tasted really great - and drank it all. They are now asleep - result.

I had a nice chilled Chardonnay btw.

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
my cheeks get really, really flushed, after a few sips of mulled wine. Doesn't happen with any other drink.

M

·
0 Posts
I bought some this year simply because 'its's Christmas'. I was thinking of adding some starr anise.......???

·
Registered
37,507 Posts
A certain Hamster backed supermarket chain is flogging their twig and dried oranges concoction for mulling wine, £1.86! :eek:

Can't imagine paying the best part of two quid for junk you have to sieve out after you have already spoiled your wine with it. :tut:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Would you drink it at any other time of the year?

So why now?

It's vile and waste of decent red wine (assuming you use decent red wine)

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blimey - Abi and Liz really liked the last lot I made so I did some more from them this afternoon. They are now into the third bottle's worth (I keep topping up the pan - less than 80 degrees) and creating a composite character on Twitter whilst laughing. The intention is that they both post independently and the character will develop.

I would tell you the name but I want to see how it goes. No doubt they can be found though.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Twitter - I thought that site had been taken over by Islamic extremists :confused:

Is there something you're not telling us Paul :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts