Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently had an MTech short shifter bracket fitted to my GT Clover 1.9 JTD and am now seriously thinking of having same removed due to really notchy and stiff gear changes, particularly in 2nd and worse when engine cold. I replaced gear box oil - no improvement.:weeping:

This is a shame as I love the shorter throw, but don't feel that I can live with the heavy gear changing indefinitely. Loz at Autolusso mentioned that he had had the same problem with this on a similar car, so maybe this is the 'trade off' with this bracket?

It would be good to know if anyone else has experienced this issue or better still, identified a solution.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Gear change definitely gets notchier with the Mtech shifter, a fair few of us have noticed this when fitting. Which tbh you'd expect.. The Mtech shifter just makes the lever smaller, so you get more "texture" back through the shifter knob..

Syncros work better when the box is warmed up, so that could explain the evolution as the car warms up...

Does it free up when you're rolling? Mines a pig to find 1st when cold and not rolling, but once I'm going it's a lovely drive!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gear change definitely gets notchier with the Mtech shifter, a fair few of us have noticed this when fitting. Which tbh you'd expect.. The Mtech shifter just makes the lever smaller, so you get more "texture" back through the shifter knob..

Syncros work better when the box is warmed up, so that could explain the evolution as the car warms up...

Does it free up when you're rolling? Mines a pig to find 1st when cold and not rolling, but once I'm going it's a lovely drive!
Hi Ed,

Yep, I expected a notchier change, but am disappointed with the overall experience. Yes, it does free up when rolling and it's noticeably easier to change when engine at normal running temp.

I'll persevere for the time being - might get used to it!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I have an Mtech on the GTA I have just bought. It sucks, for precisely the reasons you describe. I'm going to remove it as soon as I can find the bits I need to replace it.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The standard shift on the GTA is shorter than other 156's, and perfectly acceptable as is.

Mind you the change on the 100HP Panda is in a different league - shorter, snappier and just a hand's span from the wheel :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have an Mtech on the GTA I have just bought. It sucks, for precisely the reasons you describe. I'm going to remove it as soon as I can find the bits I need to replace it.

will take that off your hands at the right price..:yes:

assuming it fits the GT 1.9...?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
What do I need to remove it? I'm thinking of a cunning swap here! I'm guessing that by fitting it, you throw away some arm - which I need!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
What do I need to remove it? I'm thinking of a cunning swap here! I'm guessing that by fitting it, you throw away some arm - which I need!

you are correct, but I have a feeling that..

1) you are not just down the road, and...

2) I do like the idea of being able to go back to stock in the event I don't like the short shifter...I still have my old turbo and unmodified airbox in the garage..bit of a hoarder..

I suggest you secure a part..( I am sure Ned will have one ) change it over send the short shifter to me and re-coup your money..:thumbup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't think any parts are needed, just remove shirt shifter and pop the gear cable socket back on the ball on the gearbox? (I think)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Don't think any parts are needed, just remove shirt shifter and pop the gear cable socket back on the ball on the gearbox? (I think)
The balance weight is removed to fit the short shifter, just bolts off though so easy to reverse if needed.

I have one fitted to my JTD and find it fine on there, but did try it on the GTA and found it a lot worse on there for notchiness so won't be fitting one on there, although that does have a shorter throw than the diesel did as standard anyway.

Don't know why that is, although I believe the cables are a different length on the two cars, although haven't compared them side by side to be certain.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Love it on mine, wouldn't swap it back although I have kept the original for if I sell it on.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The balance weight is removed to fit the short shifter, just bolts off though so easy to reverse if needed.

I have one fitted to my JTD and find it fine on there, but did try it on the GTA and found it a lot worse on there for notchiness so won't be fitting one on there, although that does have a shorter throw than the diesel did as standard anyway.

Don't know why that is, although I believe the cables are a different length on the two cars, although haven't compared them side by side to be certain.
Ahh yes I remember now, parts are needed! :thumbup:
Felt fine on my GTA, slightly notchy but the shorter throw makes up for that.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
The GTA shift is already shorter because they use a different gear stick inside the car. I have only driven the GTA with the Mtech short shifter and I also didn't like it but GTs (including the 3.2) & standard 156s do have a longer throw than 156 GTAs so this may be a mod which is suitable for everything but the GTAs.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
The GTA shift is already shorter because they use a different gear stick inside the car. I have only driven the GTA with the Mtech short shifter and I also didn't like it but GTs (including the 3.2) & standard 156s do have a longer throw than 156 GTAs so this may be a mod which is suitable for everything but the GTAs.
That could explain it then.

So would a Gta stick fit a JTD then?

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
That could explain it then.

So would a Gta stick fit a JTD then?
Yes I fitted a GTA gearstick into my 156 2.4 JTD 10v, shortened the throw nicely but not drastically. I did it at the same time as fitting the 6-speed box so already had the subframe off and tunnel dropped.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts