Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled onto A3 and acellerated quickly to 80mphish. MacFarlane flashed on and off 3 or 4 times in succession. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
This happened previously, and was crud in the fuel lines. Under heavy load it flickered (MCSF). They took the lines off and cleaned them out. Might be worth a look?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks PR. Did it also stutter on first start up? As that's also just started happening too.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Do you have a code reader to help in isolating the problem?
It may just show a generic misfire code, but equally it may tell you a little more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do have one and I'll have to plug it in later today. The mscf light goes away but the fault should remain in the history. Is there a way of clearing the fuel lines using additives etc or does it all need disassembly?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
MaCFarlane...:biglaugh: brilliant.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I can't remember it stuttering on start.. For the acceleration issue iirc they got an ignition error on certain cylinders. They switched coil packs and got the error on the same cylinders. That pointed to fuel lines. Once clear they re assembled and it was gone.. another thing to check first is all the connections to the coil packs etc

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plugged in the code reader. It says.

P0300 multiple misfire.
P0304 cyl4 misfire.
P0305 cyl5 misfire.
P0302 cyl2 misfire.
P0306 cyl6 misfire.
And p1688 is undifined.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Plugged in the code reader. It says.

P0300 multiple misfire.
P0304 cyl4 misfire.
P0305 cyl5 misfire.
P0302 cyl2 misfire.
P0306 cyl6 misfire.
And p1688 is undifined.
This may help with P1688 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/233735-fault-code-p1688.html#post3553817

As for the other codes, I'd swap spark plug and coil from cylinder 2 with cylinder 1 to see if the code moves across cylinders. The front bank misfires are likely to be connected, but the rear bank one may be a poor plug/coil pack.
Welcome to the interesting but often infuriating world of fault diagnosis :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Even if this only happens under load?
Fair point...could be worth looking into it though. Have you cleared these codes yet to see if they reappear again? i.e. are they old codes that were never cleared?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
could it be connected to the alternator fault you have had? I know on hard acceleration the coil packs need a lot of power.

I'm no mechanic, so may be clouding the issue. If so, please ignore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts