Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the 156 gta. I'm in need of a code reader. In simple terms what do I need.
I've read a few posts but they seem to woffle on a bit.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

S

·
0 Posts
Choice one: Generic code reader. Available from EBay for £15 or so. Will reset engine errors and usually airbag errors. Not much else.

Choice two: advanced hand held. As above but about £80-£100. More features, more stuff accessible inc Airbags, ABS etc.

Choice three: a laptop and MultiEcuScan and cables. Costs about £30 for a cable and adapters. Then the license fee for the software about £70 I think. Ace, does everything but bulky and can be a pain to set up.

Choice four: Bluetooth plug in connector and a smart phone app. No idea on cost, or features.

I have a cheap hand held. I use it to clear the regular EGR error on my Ford. Also cleared the cruise error on my 156. I also have a full version of MultiEcuScan and proper cables. Very lovely but I haven't got a clue how to use it properly. I bought it for a Fiat Stilo I had years ago that had huge electrical issues.

All depends what you want to do with it? Where you want to store it? And how techie you are?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
For cable, Rarebear on here used to do a configured one that bridged connections for airbag ecu I think

The free software version does enough really, reads and clears codes.

I have 1&3 above

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
yep, the software is free to use. DnECUdiag is great for of that. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your replies I'm gonna go with choice one I think. Any links to which one is best to go for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts