Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old 147 jtd16v gives a bit of problems (over boost) and I suspect that's it's the vanes (VGT)in the in the turbo that's a bit sticky.

I remember that I have seen an instruction describing how the clean them with oven cleaner but I can not find it any more. Any one knows where I can find it?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It’s not a difficult task either take off the egr pipe on manifold and Spray in or take downpipe off side of turbo and spray in. Leave a couple of hours regularly working vnt mechanism then refit whichever pipe you remove and give it a good old Italian tune up after it’s warmed up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not a difficult task either take off the egr pipe on manifold and Spray in or take downpipe off side of turbo and spray in. Leave a couple of hours regularly working vnt mechanism then refit whichever pipe you remove and give it a good old Italian tune up after it’s warmed up.
And does it work? I am a bit worried that it will go in to seals and bearing in the turbo an causing future problems.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also done this,manth ago and no problem with seals.
But I spray directly on turbo exaust side. For that u need to remove cat from turbo,if 147 have like my gt. U can find video on youtube. Ez job if u have ramps and free time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did this when my 147 was throwing up map sensor error but it never worked, The vanes were sticking but it was due to a rusty turbo and pitting on the surface the vanes moved on, i had to take the turbo apart and give it a good clean to remove the rust.
Before and after pics attached.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts