Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elliott Morley is the latest MP to announce that he will be stepping down at the next election. He conveniently "forgot" that his mortgage had been paid off, and continued to claim around £16K against it.
The reason why these people are not being dismissed immediately, is because if they step down at the next election, then they will be allowed severance pay, in Mr Morley's case around £64K. So, not content with "stealing" from the taxpayer, they fancy netting a little going away present as well.
Is there anything in the electorate's power to stop this obscene behaviour? I don't care what party they belong to, they should have to face their crimes like anyone else.

R

·
0 Posts
I was also tempted to start a thread on this as well but feel so strongly that I was concerned that I would get ranty and irrational.

Rational me: I know this has been part of an MPs terms and conditions for ages and we should consider it in the same light as bankers' bonuses. Whatever their faults, they are the best and most experienced government and opposition we have and to lose them now would be damaging.

Actual me: Why can't we have a military coup and temporary Junta until new elections can be held, any current MPs excluded.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Jammy buggers. 64K for doing nowt? Some people don't earn that in 4 years. That rule should be changed IMO.

If the party sacked an MP, they would still be MP, just independent rather than Tory/Labour etc.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, of the thirteen MPs that so far have announced that they are to "resign", not one has gone yet - they all intend to hang on until the next election and then finally throw the towel in.
I am sure this has absolutelutely nothing to do with the fact that they will then be due for the statutory "relocation" allowance - slightly over £40k- and the aforementioned severance settlements which will vary according to service, etc. No, wouldn't be that would it?:mad:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
do you think we would do any different in the circumstances?

I am pretty sure I would not, most, me included would wish to 'do' their employer for as much as possible.....

R

·
0 Posts
:wow: :wow: :wow:
Wouldn't that be just a teensy bit, er, well, um,.............

facist :confused:
A temporary military coup would not a good definition of fascism for me, but I can see the moral flaw in my master plan!

There is a delicious irony that the moderate left can be more "fascist" than a typical Thatcherist right winger. In fact, I always chuckle when I read you being described as a fascist, Nazi or a Nationalist.

Your combative posting style may sometimes makes me think that you could be the spiritual love child of Boadicea and Attila the Hun but you must still be the most mis-described member on here.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Listening to the news on the way into work this morning our wonderfull Euro MP's who will not stand at the next electiondue to the expenses row are going to get a pension that is double their current salary.

Hell thats a punishment - cant rip us off with expenses but dont worry you wont lose out.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
The whole stepping down at the next election really hacks me off too!

And the politicians wonder why the general electorate hates them! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
854 Posts
The lamposts of Downing Street should have hanging from them the lifeless corpses of the one eyed scottish idiot and the rest of his footpad flunkies. Extreme measures for extreme times, with virtual impunity from the law of the land these self serving sodomites (Mandleson, brazilian buggery and mortgages )are helping themselves and lining their pockets.
Gibbets in Downing Street I say, let them be a foul smelling reminder and deterant to others of their ilk . Oh, and another thing, watch out for this Milliband creature. I have it on good authority that he is Satan himself.
What`s wrong with a bit of medieval justice or a bit of the old Sharia law??, string `em up I say. Stocks on village greens, fiddling MP`s looking to run away like rats leaving the sinking Labour ship should be pilloried, literally.
As Cap`n Scottish idiot goes down with his vessel I'll wager he has his good eye on a directorship at RBS after chucking taxpayers money at it, or tidy little earner with the ginger taff Kinnock in Strasbourg. On another tack , have you noticed over the last year or two how the calls for devolution , Scottish independance etc have been muted ? .
I Wonder if that`s got anything to do with all the back door legislation and use of Englishmans taxes to fund free heroin ,whiskey, cars, cigarettes, haggis, houses, free university education and North Sea cruises for every Scot. They still hav'nt forgiven us for stealing their stone you know , Celts and Parliament , a recipe for disaster. :cheese:

·
Registered
854 Posts
A temporary military coup would not a good definition of fascism for me, but I can see the moral flaw in my master plan!

There is a delicious irony that the moderate left can be more "fascist" than a typical Thatcherist right winger. In fact, I always chuckle when I read you being described as a fascist, Nazi or a Nationalist.

Your combative posting style may sometimes makes me think that you could be the spiritual love child of Boadicea and Attila the Hun but you must still be the most mis-described member on here.
Democracy has failed us, it's time for a coup d'etat. Dust off the military garb,polish up the medals We need a dictatorship, politicians look so much more trustworthy in a uniform don't you think ?
Idi Amin, Adolf, Pinochet and Mussolini never claimed a penny in expenses, they killed millions but never squandered a red cent of the taxpayers money on Duck islands etc.....:cheese:
:cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
0 Posts
I have always suspected that the corruption is deep & I may get a flaming for this, but I don't vote as I feel I cannot trust any of them - there are honest ones, but they seem few & far between

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that it is time for someone to put up a gallows at Tyburn (Marble Arch will do), just as a reminder to the "gentry" what happened in days gone by.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Yeah, of the thirteen MPs that so far have announced that they are to "resign", not one has gone yet - they all intend to hang on until the next election and then finally throw the towel in.
I am sure this has absolutelutely nothing to do with the fact that they will then be due for the statutory "relocation" allowance - slightly over £40k- and the aforementioned severance settlements which will vary according to service, etc. No, wouldn't be that would it?:mad:

I don't understand it :confused:

If any one of us were to systematically submit fraudulent expense claims over a number of years to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds, the very least we would expect would to be fired with immediate effect, to be expected to pay back all of the money defrauded from our employers and probably face criminal charges.

Why is this not happening? :mad:

Oh yes, that's right - they all acted within the letter of the law. :rolleyes:

My (already very low) faith in democracy has now all but disappeared :cry:.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You really are not the voice of reason anymore Andy. :lol:
I didn't have any alcohol yesterday, so I cannot be held liable for any outrageous comments which I made.;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, I was going to suggest a guillotine, but that just wouldn't be British, now would it?:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts