Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Fuel consumption

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,150 Posts
I had to vote L/100 km as I am much more familiar with that. Even after having spent months and months on the forum I still have no feel for the relationship between frugality and 22 or 32 or 46... 22 more frugal than 42, I can see that, but what is it in l/100 km :confused:

:D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
MPG. It's the way it always has been and the way it always should be :)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MPG. It's the way it always has been and the way it always should be :)
Always been quoted in the UK that way, but I think I prefer L/Km. The closer the figure to 0 the better as far as fuel consumption goes. Dunno why.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

L per km or L per 100km make no sense to me. Prefer it to show a bigger number = better (just like top speed).

Using km/L wouldn't bother me though.

All the best

Keith

N

·
0 Posts
As I've said before there's a simple solution.

If you aim for 17mpg then it's ~17 l/100km.

Job sorted. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I had to vote L/100 km as I am much more familiar with that. Even after having spent months and months on the forum I still have no feel for the relationship between frugality and 22 or 32 or 46... 22 more frugal than 42, I can see that, but what is it in l/100 km :confused:

:D
Well I can just about understand a litre.. (the volume of 1kg of water...) but petrol weighs slightly less than water, so a litre of petrol is not quite 1 kg... :D ....

But why "per 100kms"?

Why not "per 99kms" (the same ratio as that between the weight of water and benzina)?

The continental/decimal system is like EU. Bonkers. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

Oil is quite a bit lighter than water, but petrol is a hell of a lot lighter (around 3/4 of the weight for the same volume).

Diesel fuel weighs more than petrol, so another reason diesels are heavy ;)

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can just about understand a litre.. (the volume of 1kg of water...) but petrol weighs slightly less than water, so a litre of petrol is not quite 1 kg... :D ....

But why "per 100kms"?

Why not "per 99kms" (the same ratio as that between the weight of water and benzina)?

The continental/decimal system is like EU. Bonkers. :D

Ralf S.
But the method of measurement between MPG and L/Km (or 100km) is different. MPG looks at a bigger figure = better while with L/Km a lower figure is better.

I was trying to avoid anything to do with the decimal system - it could quite easily be GPM. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
MPG always. Mileage to a tank is no use either because I can't be ersed to convert to MPG in order to compare.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Ah okay... :eek:

Well to me a car is for moving from place A to place B. The most important thing is therefore how far it can travel on a certain amount of fuel. A bigger number is better than a smaller one, because the car is about travelling distance..

Turning it round the (bonkers) EU way doesn't make sense... but then we already knew that Europeans can't run banks or do anything concerning numbers already.. ;)

To say my car uses x litres for xx kilomiles says that the car is not about travelling distance any more but it's about using or not using fuel.

It would be the same as saying that my car does "28 minutes/100km". Is that fast or not?

Europeans... sort it out fellas! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To measure fuel consumption, l/100km is more logical (it's consumption = how much fuel spent, therefore should be expressed in units of fuel).

Just like power consumption: a 60W bulb consumes more than a 30W bulb for the same amount of use. Lower consumption=better

Also, l/100 km is more intuitive for figuring consumption/cost for a journey: I need to travel 200 k, my car consumes 10l/100 km -> it will use 20 l to get there. Easy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts