Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to do a MPG test since I got the Spider TS.
Filled to the brim, drove 270 miles. First 70 on the motorway, rest just around the place.
Put 38 litres in today, so that's 32 MPG.

Is that good, bad or indifferent..?

What's everyone else getting..? :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Bang on the money id say.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If you drive gently on long trips you can get 41mpg in the Spider (I have) but it's some way short of my 156TS with CF3 engine which averages 6.4L/100km (44mpg). That's more what you expect of an economical modern car, it's still some way short of a Prius though :lol: I have had as little as 32mpg out of the Spider using it around town. After that, I'm going to get a V6 next and see how I go with that... If I can get 32mpg on trips and 28mpg in town, that will be acceptable given the extra performance. That's what I get out of the old 164.

-Alex

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes driving gently and Alfa, don't mix too well.
Its very tempting to give it a little thrashing, now and then... :D

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Sometimes driving gently and Alfa, don't mix too well.
Its very tempting to give it a little thrashing, now and then... :D
I know what you mean there ;)
I think it's inevitable that the V6 will be worse. What is annoying, though, is that cars of the 70's weren't really any less economical even though they didn't have multivalve cross flow heads, variable valve timing, variable inlet manifold length, individual port injection, closed-loop lambda sensor mixture control, and five speed gearboxes. FIAT 128 Coupe had none of those things, yet you'd be averaging 32mpg in that. Fuel is so much more expensive these days, we need to be trying for better economy. You'd think all that technology and the aerodynamics would be helping, but cars are so much bigger and heavier and roll on fatter tyres... and people probably drive faster than in the 70s (?) So, much like the responsiveness of desktop PCs, the net mpg improvement has been 0. :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
89 Posts
AlexGS said " If I can get 32mpg on trips and 28mpg in town " for a V6.

Sorry to disappoint, but I think it'll be closer to 25 on a run and as low as 18 in the city centre.

That's why I have an LPG conversion :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

Sorry to disappoint, but I think it'll be closer to 25 on a run and as low as 18 in the city centre.

That's why I have an LPG conversion :)
Yeah but that would be as bad as a Jaguar XJS :lol: or in more local terms a Holden V8 Commodore. Why does it have to be so bad! I had a 166 once and it was like that, so I do believe you.

How long will the LPG conversion take to pay off? I've seen those in Car Mechanics magazine over the years; well done to you for doing something positive about it.

-Alex

·
Registered
89 Posts
Should pay for itself in 2 years (though this depends on how many miles you do) and it's definitely a good thing. Handy for me that the previous owner paid for it - probably cost about £2k ish

I'm with you on the mpg thing though - why is it so bad? I've also used a BMW 3.0 straight six and that was almost 50% better on fuel.

Still the V6 does make a fantastic noise :)

·
Registered
141 Posts

That's why I have an LPG conversion
I get up to 30 out of mine unless doing cold, short town trips all the time. The 30 was a mix of 200 miles motorway and 100 a-road/town. I went up to Liverpool last week and did about 200 motorway and 130 ish driving around Liverpool itself and suburbs and averaged 29mpg. It seems to depend somewhat on the car.

That's not driving anything less than enthusiastically, btw!

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main problem with fuel consumption in the Spider, when the roofs down.
You find yourself poodling along in 5th, on nice country lanes (loads of em'ere), you hit a nice long straight bit, and you find yourself dropping to 3rd and flooring it.
Just to hear the note singing in ya ear'ole.

Nothing comes close..:mygrin1:

Always frightens the living daylights out of Mrs PDF, which is funny..:D

MGP goes flying out the window...:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts