Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, after checking out a couple of the petrol cars, it would be good to know what the real world MPG is. ive read 22 for the 2.2 and 18 for the 3.2 on here, is that true?

ive also read that remapping the 2.2 gives better performance and better fuel economy, has anyone done this to confirm, what about remapping the 3.2 does that have any effect?

im going to be driving about 60 miles per day round trip over from Hornchurch in Essex to Kent, so basically M25 and A2. Traffic is surprisingly sparse so its basically 70 all the way. would I likely get better than 18 in these circumstances on the 3.2?

I drive a old school 96 polo at the minute and 35 litres of petrol gets me 360 miles of driving. is it really true that the 70 litre tank of the brera is going to get me 260 miles!? that's going to be about 70 a week in petrol!

my other question is does anyone know anything about the dealers in the south east and Kent. I had a look in Wilsons in chadwell heath but they didn't have the one I wanted and where selling all sorts of other different cars (not sure how common this is though because ive only ever owned the polo and not been into dealerships). how is it in Kent there look to be a couple up there. I know im going to end up having problems at some stage and it would be great to know where the good honest useful dealers are!?!?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
You can exceed 30mpg quite easily on a well run in 2.2. I can get 34mp if I stick to all the limits on the open road (not in town).

You'll be lucky to see 25mpg with a 3.2. Saying that, the 3.2 is ace, again when well run in, especially in a 2WD version on the 159Ti (Autoitalia this month really rate it).

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a 3.2V6 Q4 Qtronic. I can get late 20s on a run and 16-18 around town. Fuel here is cheap (£1.25/gallon) even for super 98 RON fuel.

Don't kid yourself, the 3.2 is thirsty but is great. Just make sure you can afford to run it as there's no point in having all that grunt and driving it to conserve fuel.

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
The average on my 2.2 is 25.8 at present and seems to be around that mark most of the time. I do use the car mainly on A roads or Motorways.
You could try AMC in Chelmsford it's not too far from Hornchurch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 3.2V6 Q4 Qtronic. I can get late 20s on a run and 16-18 around town. Fuel here is cheap (£1.25/gallon) even for super 98 RON fuel.

Don't kid yourself, the 3.2 is thirsty but is great. Just make sure you can afford to run it as there's no point in having all that grunt and driving it to conserve fuel.
of course I agree, most days it will just be doing motorway stints though so no need to drive like im on a mission, but its nice to have the extra power there to put a smile on my face when needs be!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Town and A road in my 2.2 and getting about 22mpg :(
Motorway stuff and you can easily top 30mpg though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've a '56 plate 3.2 Q4 (manual) - I recently got 23.5mpg on a run up to Derbyshire from Essex, but generally 18>20 around town...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Daz I drive from Chelmsford down to Dagenham each day for work ... A12/M25/A13 and I'm getting average just over 28mpg out of my 2.2 Spider

As Nigel says ... AMC are OK and Mark is a good bloke ... I spoke to both AMC and Wilsons when buying my car as both are close enough for work/home, would buy a car again from either dealer

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I do mostly motorway driving in my 3.2 Brera and I average 19mpg @ 80 - 90 mph. The best I ever got was 28mpg, but that was sticking to 70mph all the way from Kent to Buckinghamshire with no traffic, i.e. I kept a constant speed all the way. But it was really painful.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daz I drive from Chelmsford down to Dagenham each day for work ... A12/M25/A13 and I'm getting average just over 28mpg out of my 2.2 Spider

As Nigel says ... AMC are OK and Mark is a good bloke ... I spoke to both AMC and Wilsons when buying my car as both are close enough for work/home, would buy a car again from either dealer
Hi seasider! thanks for your thoughts, we both go on the A13 and M25 so parts of our journey are probably quite simular (despite the fact they are in opposite directions!)

I think I will have to check out both wilsons and AMC, who did you buy yours from in the end, and have you had any problems which you needed to sort out through them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do mostly motorway driving in my 3.2 Brera and I average 19mpg @ 80 - 90 mph. The best I ever got was 28mpg, but that was sticking to 70mph all the way from Kent to Buckinghamshire with no traffic, i.e. I kept a constant speed all the way. But it was really painful.:)
wow 19 really on a motorway that is shocking!!! i really want the 3.2 brera but 19 for motorway is too low! whats it like in town 15!!! 28 is more like it I would usually drive about those speeds on the way to work etc but i want the 3.2 so i could open it up for a bit of fun on occassion...

I wish the alfa engines were as economical as the one's found in the TT, but you cant have it all....

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
daz I bought from AMC in the end but it was pretty much down to a flip of the coin as to who i bought from ...

the car had a couple of problems early into it's life (not from new) and AMC sorted them out without any fuss so I've no issue with them as a dealer

I'm getting my car serviced tomorrow and for that I'm going to Wilsons but that is as much as it's easier for getting to/from work, but I was just as likely to choose AMC ... just fancied trying the other local dealer

Don't forget to pop along to the essex meet next week ... it's easy to get to

1 - 20 of 41 Posts