Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this isn't strictly a rant but more of an annoyance/observation....

Why do so many members on here (and in the wider motoring community) become so obsessed with MPG statistics? Per l'amore di Dio!

Firstly, I was always of the belief that you chose an Alfa because of its style, beauty, uniqueness (on today's roads), handling/ride/noise etc etc. It's simply a question of (apologies in advance for the following cliches :rolleyes:) passion, character, 'soul' and other Italian traits. On the other hand, it's a very British characteristic, spawned perhaps by the company car market, to raise questions of MPG, insurance grouping and number of cupholders or boot capacity. If fuel economy or emissions are your sole priority, surely you have a wide variety of other marques to choose from (Honda anyone?) rather than purchase an Alfa, especially a diesel variant, and then come on here citing a lower MPG average than expected as a reason to be unhappy?

Secondly, MPG is an extremely subjective piece of data, dependent on numerous variables such as speed; acceleration (driving style); fuel type; braking frequency; tyre pressure; wind speed/direction; aerodynamics (e.g. having a roof-rack or trailer); gradient, number of passengers and weight of luggage.....

Has anybody else noticed this pessimistic and downright boring 'angle' on Alfa ownership or am I alone? :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
i think people currently are more frugal, and as a result they look at things like MPG when they are counting the beans.

There was a whole raft of these threads a short while back, especially surrounding one model, that again was because there was a disparity between quoted figures and actual figures, and that may still be the case today.

I am not obsessed by it, but i will admit to running the odd calculation, it not only tells me if my driving style is up to scratch but can also be an early indication of mechanical issues as well

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
It is probably because we pay an extortionate amount for fuel, and at the same time people are feeling the pinch of the recession.

I do find threads saying "I am only getting xx MPG" annoying though when xx is a good figure.

For example "my car is only giving me 37mpg when the figures say it should do 45mpg" etc..

I do find the 20 mpg I often get from the GTV painful at times though I must admit.

·
0 Posts
I don't know & I have told them so (repeatedly :rolleyes: )

Go buy a small sensible diesel, if it bothers you that much I say :p

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't like it and yet you've just created another thread about it :rolleyes:
Oh sorry, I seem to have mistakingly associated the 'Rant Room' as one wherein fellow Alfisti air their dislikes and greivances. :confused:

Reminder to myself: I must stop initiating conversation regarding the X-Factor due to my dislike of commercial music.

R

·
0 Posts
I get mildly frustrated by people who ask questions like "I got 300 miles from a full tank, is that good?" Answer I don't know, how big is your tank? Better still, how many gallons did you actually use in those 300 miles? Worse still are the ones that say something like "In my golf I spend £30 a week. How much can I expect in a V6 GTV?" Surely basic arithmetic is not beyond the wit of someone who is capable of connecting to the internet and posting on here?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I actually enjoy the looks of disbelief on peoples faces when I tell them I'm getting xx mpg (where xx is under 20)

:D:D:lol::lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Running a GTA, I'm simply happy that it will even 'consider' to start with less than a gallon in the tank:cheese:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I get mildly frustrated by people who ask questions like "I got 300 miles from a full tank, is that good?" Answer I don't know, how big is your tank? Better still, how many gallons did you actually use in those 300 miles? Worse still are the ones that say something like "In my golf I spend £30 a week. How much can I expect in a V6 GTV?" Surely basic arithmetic is not beyond the wit of someone who is capable of connecting to the internet and posting on here?
Totally agree. Shows complete dimwittedness.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,359 Posts
we work out MPG from time to time because our Alfa's dont go wrong when they should do (or so the motoring press would have us believe ;))

unless your a MiTo owner................no, best not go there :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts