Alfa Romeo Forum banner

MPG Improves with Speed and traffic.

963 views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  davehawkes 
#1 ·
:wow: Who'd of thought it.

Around town I average 15-18 MPG. However on a 300 Mile run that involved at least an hour sat in traffic not going anywhere and at least an hour at 80-100 MPH (on a private runway) I averaged over 25 MPG.

I knew town driving would be heavier on fuel and that as soon as I had a chance of streching the cars legs my MPG would improve but I never thought it would improve by this amount. It wasn't like I was driving in a way to conserve fuel.

What are your experiences?

#12 ·
Mu 156TS would do around 33mpg at motorway speeds. My Fiat does around 36mpg at the same speeds as long as you are easy on the right foot.

#14 ·
I got 28.5 mpg out of my V6 on a long journey in France. Three hours at 90-100. For reference, 90 is at 3.5k rpm in 6th. I averaged 410 miles per tank. I thought that was pretty impressive until I saw someone'd done 36mpg.

It's also interesting that your air resistance increases with the cube of your speed - so it takes 25% more fuel to drive at 75 than at 65. Given that, it's surprising how economical the V6 is at high speeds :)

#19 ·
I've covered just over 3500 miles of mixed motorway / a & b roads in the last month in my phase 1 1997 TS spider. I'm averaging 33mpg and around 360 - 380 miles per tank.

The car has covered a about 80k miles and is in good condition and tune and isn't driven with economy in mind.

A bit better than my 2.5ltr Impreza which struggles to give more than 25mpg over the same journeys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.