Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wow: Who'd of thought it.

Around town I average 15-18 MPG. However on a 300 Mile run that involved at least an hour sat in traffic not going anywhere and at least an hour at 80-100 MPH (on a private runway) I averaged over 25 MPG.

I knew town driving would be heavier on fuel and that as soon as I had a chance of streching the cars legs my MPG would improve but I never thought it would improve by this amount. It wasn't like I was driving in a way to conserve fuel.

What are your experiences?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Exactly the same as to be expected.

Stopping and starting will always burn more fuel on average than a steady run.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My GTA is excactly the same, hates the traffic. I did almost 100miles on a quarter of a tank the other day. Then in town i got stuck on a cursed shopping trip for 45 mins in traffic and it used the same in about 6 miles!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly the same as to be expected.

Stopping and starting will always burn more fuel on average than a steady run.

Agreed but a good hour of my (cough) runway jaunt was sat in traffic and yet I still saw this huge improvement.

R

·
0 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you get the most mpg (on a TS anyway) at 4000rpm in 5th which is about 95-100mph or somewhere therabouts.

Anyone else read that anywhere?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
my V6 averages around 22mpg but on a eco run the other week back from south wales i got 36mpg.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
Mu 156TS would do around 33mpg at motorway speeds. My Fiat does around 36mpg at the same speeds as long as you are easy on the right foot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got 28.5 mpg out of my V6 on a long journey in France. Three hours at 90-100. For reference, 90 is at 3.5k rpm in 6th. I averaged 410 miles per tank. I thought that was pretty impressive until I saw someone'd done 36mpg.

It's also interesting that your air resistance increases with the cube of your speed - so it takes 25% more fuel to drive at 75 than at 65. Given that, it's surprising how economical the V6 is at high speeds :)

R

·
0 Posts
Yep I can confirm this on my car it's around 80-85Mph @ 4000rpm, at 3000rpm it's just under 70mph.
Whatever, not too far off. Might have been 4700rpm I was remembering actually but still, seeing as I can't for the life of me remember where I read this I can't justify it so never mind.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Aye 4700rpm sounds about right for 90mph. Unless of course you have changed your 5th gear! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just been on with this MPG testing in mine. I'm getting 25mpg on a motorway run and 15ish round town....not bothered, petrol prices are down and the V6 sounds so good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've covered just over 3500 miles of mixed motorway / a & b roads in the last month in my phase 1 1997 TS spider. I'm averaging 33mpg and around 360 - 380 miles per tank.

The car has covered a about 80k miles and is in good condition and tune and isn't driven with economy in mind.

A bit better than my 2.5ltr Impreza which struggles to give more than 25mpg over the same journeys

·
Registered
57 Posts
my 2 litre gtv 1996 limited edition (full body kit) does over 36-38 mpg on long runs and i dont hold back but stop start to work OUCH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts