Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 156 1.9 JTD and I dont seem to get good fuel economy. The computer says that in the 14 months Ive had it I am averaging 28 mpg!
Firstly is the computer to be believed and if so does this figure match up with other people?
I do mostly short journeys but I still thought it might be better.
My VW caddy will easily do 50 mpg towing a trailer so I was slightly disappointed!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
dont believe the computer, do a brim to brim test for propper results.

if its still low, look at your egr or maf for problems;)

try tripping it after every fill, because your comp is trying to average over 14 months, it will be way off

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep an eye on how many miles I get to a tank.

I dont think I have ever got more than 350. Maybe Im expecting too much from it but a few of my friends have similar powered diesels (focus, astra and A3) and they get loads more miles to a tank.

Doing 80 the current MPG will read about 35-40, when I drove my friends A3 it wa about 45-50!

Its not as pretty though!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

I dont think I have ever got more than 350. Maybe Im expecting too much from it but a few of my friends have similar powered diesels (focus, astra and A3) and they get loads more miles to a tank.

Doing 80 the current MPG will read about 35-40, when I drove my friends A3 it wa about 45-50!

haha:lol:

does it smoke alot, i mean excessive even for a diesel? and whats the power like?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts

Sounds rather low to me, although I never got more that 690 miles from a tank full on my 16v JTD. :thumbs:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds rather low to me, although I never got more that 690 miles from a tank full on my 16v JTD. :thumbs:
My 16v jtd regularly returns 640-690 miles between fills. Computer a bit optomistic. Best gauge is divide miles done since last fill by gals put in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power is fine, it only smokes when I floor it!

I will do one more test to see how many miles I get on the next tank and maybe take it in to be looked at.

I think it must have a lot to do with the small journeys I do but I still think it should be better.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i know they smoke, i meant excessive smoke, lots of, james bond style;)

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
350 from a tank is very low. Fuel, computers are usually a few mpg out but they are only a guide. Sounds like something is wrong..........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nearest non main dealer I know of is sunnyside alfa in Chadwell heath, would be handy if anyone knows one nearer but I couldn't find anything on line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh dear, oh dear. That doesn't sound good. I get 43mpg (540 miles ish) from a tank in my 2.4 JTD. It has had a fuel leak from a hose recently. Does it smell particularly of diesel fumes in the cabin when in traffic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No not at all.

Theres no obvious problems!

I think I will just have to get it put on the diagnostics, It has to go in soon anyway as the windscreen wipers broke in the ice yesterday!

From what Ive been reading quite a few people have done the same!

·
Registered
28 Posts
How heavy is your right foot?:)
I guess diagnostics is the best route to take then. Or brim the tank as suggested in an earlier post, zero your mileometer and reset your trip computer (mine resets itself after 100 hours of driving whether it's supposed to or not I have no idea). My trip reckons I average 45mpg from a tank my calculations say 43pg so it's pretty accurate... in retrospect, it can't be an Alfa unit in there can it?:)
It may be worth getting a bottle of fuel additive, diesel injector cleaner and sticking that in when you next refill... maybe worth a try.
Sorry to be unable to offer any other pearls of wisdom. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Btw, bad luck with the wiper blades! If it makes you feel any better my air con compressor has gone, the drivers window motor is on the verge of death and my service and MOT just cost £655 (without any faults)! Expensive month... Oh the joys of Alfa ownership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right anything that works well on the car I assume has been out sourced!

I am a little bit heavy on the right foot but nothing silly!

Sorry to hear about your problems, makes my wiper motor seem pretty insignificant!

The annoying thing is that its my stupidity that caused it, not spotting the hail had collected and frozen them to the window!

Im glad my van is a VW, it means all the money can go on the car!

Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
try driving with the actual consumption on see what that's saying, then try driving it a little more gently see if it improves any

1 - 20 of 31 Posts