Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm averaging 38 with normal driving, bit of town, majority Mway.
What is the usual MPG figure people get for a GT JTD. My 2.4JTD 156 would average 46, although it never worked out as that at the pump.

Could it be that the computer on the GT is more honest than the 156?

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Most of my driving is motorway as well (90 mile round commute three times a week, hardly use it at weekends) and mine says it averages around the 46 mark getting just short of 600miles a tank. Might be worth getting it checked.

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey, I'll struggle to get 500 on this tank. I think I'll reset the computer and try again. Its recently been to Alfa on the diagnostic machine and threw up no faults. Its def not my right foot, well not all the time ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm getting around 48 (remapped), driving fairly hard.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My average tanks vary between 530-570 (40.7-43.8mpg)

When I am going for economy with a light foot I can see 630+ (48.4+mpg) think the best was 670 but that rarely happens as I like the boost too much, my low scores with normal road driving and shorter trips is about 470 (36.1mpg) this is on a typical fill up of 13 gallon ( almost 60 litres) .

So 38mpg average is not that bad really if based on similar fill ups, its all about how, where and how fast your driving though so hard to compare with others, If your motorway speed is 90+ the JTD fails to be that economical unless you can run it on a lighter throttle which is often possible but not always.

Wouldn't believe anyone could get 48 on a remapped JTD thats driven hard (calculate it properly, the computer is lying :D ) as I also have a standard one that the missus struggles to get 45+ out of except for on a long run.

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine's a mix of town, then Mway, then town. The trip computer on my 156 was def optimistic. When its showed 46-48mpg it would still need filling up at about 500 miles. I guess I'll just have to check at the pumps but I have a feeling about 40 will be th norm.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Fill up, set the trip, then do the arithmetic at next filling. Take the mileage, divide by litres, multiply by 4.55, this will give mpg, except that my GT on 17's shows the mileage about 3% more than covered. My last filling averaged 52 mpg, less correction for inaccurate mileage.
Speedometer is also fast by about the same. The on board mpg readout is probably a little more optimistic again.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
38 mpg seems unusually low. Same engine and only a few kilos less, the 147 does 45-50 mpg at the pump.

Let's face it, British roads are too congested most of the time for an Alfa can't be driven like it should. For those times, practice ecodriving, which is worth 5-10% to your overall consumption. Try it, it works!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've had mine 5 weeks and 1400 miles and averaging 37.5 but 80% town driving so far. Haven't really been anywhere!

Will shortly be getting back to my usual diet of 60% motorway miles so expect it to climb up around 40+ over the next 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I average about 500 miles to a full tank of BP Ultimate ( dont trust the trip computer after the remap) but most of my driving is 'stop-start' stuff in busy traffic and relatiivly short runs:(

I did a couple of long runs last week after a fill up and I have just hit the three quarter of a tank mark and have done just over 160 miles:)

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although the 6 speed box is good for motorway I don't think its does much economy. I seem to forever running out of revs even when not pushing hard. I guess it takes some getting used to after a 5 speed. But with shed loads of Torque, I wonder if 5 is better than 6?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well my 156 16 valve jtd averages 44.7 on the computer and on working it out from tank to tank it averages around 45mpg. Most running is fast motorway and A road 80mph ish not to daft through the gears but use the boost especially since its remapped. never run it to low on fuel but have had 570 mile before the light comes on and usually get around 320 miles before the gauge reads half way.

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just filled up and I'm surprised to say the trip computer was spot on at 36mpg over the previous tank. I think I'm just going to have to adjust my driving style to suit the 6 speed box rather than the 5 I'm used to.
BTW, reset the Trip after filling up, and keeping revs below 2K managed 44mpg, no fun though ;)

Rob

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My Gt averaged 40~43 mpg. If you do a lot of town/city driving your computer will show aroud the 38mpg average. Lets face it the Alfa GT is not an economical diesel - when my current 3.0 (165 bph ) Landcruiser that weighs a ton can do 30mpg.

All that power in the GT comes at a price but I still think its a great car. :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Been in some terrible traffic this last couple of days so have only got 220miles so far and just hit the half tank line:(

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the M1 by any chance? Mine has improved overall now I seem to be getting used to the car. Its way more funny giving it some welly though!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'm getting around 48 (remapped), driving fairly hard.
I agree this seems a little unrealistic unless you are doing a lot of very long journeys and hardly any short journeys.

I reckon the computer overcalculates by about 10% as well. Have you calculated usage yourself ?

It probably will be 43-44 in reality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts