Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm a new Alfa owner, and have been wondering what peoples opinions are on using CC? This is the first car I've owned to have both a trip computer *and* CC.
From what I've seen so far, I think the CC manages to get better MPG than I can with just my right foot. My mate who has a BMW says his CC uses more fuel than if he drives it without.
So, is the Alfa system better, or do I need to learn to drive more econimically?

I'm driving a 2003 plate 147 1.9 JTD btw...

Dave

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
When using the cruise control in our GT the fuel consumption
is a few mpg worse than when it is switched off :(

And this has been my experience with every single car that I
have had fitted with cruise control :( Without fail :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I too can do better than CC although it is useful in average speed zones:)

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
When using the cruise control in our GT the fuel consumption
is a few mpg worse than when it is switched off :(

And this has been my experience with every single car that I
have had fitted with cruise control :( Without fail :(
+1

Both the GTA and the Bravo achieve better mpg with my right foot than with the CC on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so it seems I need to learn how to drive it better lol
In my defence, it's my first diesel - I'm used to high reving petrol engines with crap mpg!

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My theory is that on a flat road cruise control will be just as good, but if any slopes are added it would be less effective (assuming the driver drives in the most economical fashion)

eg. 60 on the flat parts, 70 downhill and 50 uphill; rather then constant 60 wth cruise control

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's your eyes that make the difference.
By looking ahead you can predict slopes and possible delays. You can massage the throttle pedal to suit.
The cruise control only reacts once something is happening. i.e. you hit a hill, the car slows down, the cruise control adds fuel, you speed up. Without cruise you should be easing onto the throttle as you approach the hill.
I use the cruise all the time (lazy?) but my wife hates it and won't use it. If we go on a long trip on motorway/dual carriageway she always get slightly better MPG than I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That all makes sense now I think about it, cheers for the comments.
I've been out again to try it out (any excuse atm!) and managed to get 50mpg, which is the best I've got so far.
I'll save the CC for the average speed cameras :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts