Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone managed to successfuly change the standard cd headunit in the 147 to a unit that can play mp3/wma files? Also, does it still interact with the Selespeed steering controls (mute, volume) etc.

What makes/models work?

T.I.A.

·
Registered
306 Posts
neonj said:
Hi,

Has anyone managed to successfuly change the standard cd headunit in the 147 to a unit that can play mp3/wma files? Also, does it still interact with the Selespeed steering controls (mute, volume) etc.

What makes/models work?

T.I.A.
Its easy to change a headunit in a 147, all you need is some removal keys (read wire coat hanger) and any new cd player, and a facia adapter

Alfa's use standard iso connectors so its as simple as just swapping the headunit.

Facia adapter can be had from caraudiodirect for ~ £9

However, you will loose your steering wheel buttons and the display on your dash. As of yet I have been unable to find any manufacturer who makes a converter cable for these. Autoleads dont do one :(

Ive been told to enquire with Alpine as they apparently make their own converter cables and may have one for the 147.......if anyone can find a contact number/email for alpine europe then please post it here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I opted for the MARS001 adaptor and have a Sony MP3 10CD Changer connected to the standard (Blaupunkt/Bose) setup. It's great and allows me to use the Sony CD changer with MP3 discs. It therefore works with all the standard steering wheel controls etc.

The Sony also supports CDR and CDRW discs. AFAIK the head unit will not read CDRW discs.

Cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jono I have the same changer as you I think but the 6 disc version (T70MX)

Where have you fitted it ?
The boot ?

I was thinking of fitting mine in the glovebox, all it would need is few holes cutout to allow cables through. If only I could fathom out how to get the glove box lining out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe you can order the MP3 unit from the GT. The GT has and MP3 unit as option and the same shape as the 147 blaupunkt as the GT dash is almost the same as the 147.

Grreetz ;)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
BE 147 TI said:
Maybe you can order the MP3 unit from the GT. The GT has and MP3 unit as option and the same shape as the 147 blaupunkt as the GT dash is almost the same as the 147.
I cant wait to hear the price !!! :cheese:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I fitted mine in the boot...very easy, the hardest part is routing the changer cables past the B-pillar! Mine is just sitting vertical, on the side opposite to the sub.

Jono

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Jono said:
the hardest part is routing the changer cables past the B-pillar!
If you pass an extra wire from the opening at the edge of the side trim, under the rear seat, towards the area under the black plastic cover at the doorstep, tape the cd-changer's wires on it, and pull the wire back, its a piece of cake :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jomor, I saw in the Greek Alfa Romeo Site that the cost of the Blaupunkt MP3 as an option for a new GT is 400 euros (with a Subwoofer included) so I suppose that the unit itself must cost around 300-350 euros.
I had the opportunity to test drive a GT ( :D Great car! I liked it a lot!) and test the sound system as well with an MP3 CD. The quality was the same as with the standard BOSE system in my Alfa... So as soon as the dealer starts to import MP3 Units seperately I will get my own. ;)
Hope I helped...

S

·
0 Posts
Petrakis Dimitris said:
Jomor, I saw in the Greek Alfa Romeo Site that the cost of the Blaupunkt MP3 as an option for a new GT is 400 euros (with a Subwoofer included) so I suppose that the unit itself must cost around 300-350 euros.
I had the opportunity to test drive a GT ( :D Great car! I liked it a lot!) and test the sound system as well with an MP3 CD. The quality was the same as with the standard BOSE system in my Alfa... So as soon as the dealer starts to import MP3 Units seperately I will get my own. ;)
Hope I helped...
Any ideas about the spec's of the Blaupunkt MP3 unit ?
I'm also interested in changing the stock head unit with a radio cd MP3 but I don't want to loose the wheel controls.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I hope you are right, but following the last years' AR's way of thinking, this must be a replacement fee, for the existing standard radiocd or radiocassete player, when buying the car. Remember that when buying the 147 with 15" wheels, you could get it with 16" by paying an extra 235€, or with 17" wheels by paying an extra fee of 350€. You cant buy 17" wheels later. Considering the fact that the A08 cd changer wich normally costs less than 300€, they charge it 510€, and considering that the price for the standard radiocd 2 years ago was 645€ + VAT (if you wanted to buy it later - i asked my dealer and i freaked out), i m afraid that 400€ for the mp3 player is a price when you order a new car only. I just hope all this has changed and finaly AR has decided to stop ripping off their customers on such matters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe you are right... I hope the price will be reasonable...
Truth is that I asked my dealer in Thessaloniki and they had no official price yet for the unit seperately... We'll have to wait and see...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi,
i'm just about to change my head unit also. The Pioneer DEH-P77MP plays CD's MP3's and WMA's and costs around £210 available from various places on-line. (Better not mention who as don't know whether there's a ban on advertising here, send me a PM if you want and i'll e-mail you where i'm getting mine from)
There is a company who make leads so the steering wheel controls will still work, however you will loose the radio display in the speedo display.
Hope this is usefull, Percy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is an old thread from before leads were available.

You can now get them for blaupunkts and Alpines but ive not heard of one for the Pioneer Headunit you mention above...

They all work in the same way as the one you mention, i.e. keep the wheel controls but loose the dash display

You should be able to say who makes the converter cable on here and I would be interested to find it out for myself as the Pioneer is supposed to be a superb headunit !!

·
Registered
143 Posts
RIOT said:
This is an old thread from before leads were available.

You can now get them for blaupunkts and Alpines but ive not heard of one for the Pioneer Headunit you mention above...

They all work in the same way as the one you mention, i.e. keep the wheel controls but loose the dash display

You should be able to say who makes the converter cable on here and I would be interested to find it out for myself as the Pioneer is supposed to be a superb headunit !!
Hi there RIOT,
the leads i've got for the Pioneer ...77MP are made by IncarTec, they can be contacted on www.InCarTec.co.uk. It's a two part connector, the main lead is part number 29-655 and the smaller lead, for the steering controls is part number 29-007. They apparently will do for the 147, 2002 onwards and the 156 (sorry don't know what year).
I have the leads but am awaiting delivery of the Pioneer, so will let you know how well they work.
All the best, Percy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
percival007 said:
Hi there RIOT,
the leads i've got for the Pioneer ...77MP are made by IncarTec, they can be contacted on www.InCarTec.co.uk. It's a two part connector, the main lead is part number 29-655 and the smaller lead, for the steering controls is part number 29-007. They apparently will do for the 147, 2002 onwards and the 156 (sorry don't know what year).
I have the leads but am awaiting delivery of the Pioneer, so will let you know how well they work.
All the best, Percy.

Hi! are these leads expensive? coz i found some adaptor for the Alpine but are selling for £69!

if i had to get a Blaupunkt MP3 stereo would i still need an adaptor?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cheers Percival, let us know how you get on... with full pics so we can see what youve got ;)

Davealfa : If you want steering controls then yes you will need an adapter for the blaupunkt I think mine were about £45-£50 for the bits required

·
Registered
143 Posts
RIOT said:
Cheers Percival, let us know how you get on... with full pics so we can see what youve got ;)

Fitted the Pioneer tonight (it got dark too quickly to do the boot changer aswell) and all is well! the sound quality is so much improved, even with all sound controls "flat", so can now tailor it to how i want. The Blaupunkt never sounded great no matter how much "tweaking" i did!
The steering wheel adaptors worked ok apart from, (there's allways a but!) the "source" is now "track+" and both the "track+" and "track-" are "track-" ( i hope that makes sense!). So that means i've got no steering wheel "source" button, i'll contact the manufacturer tomorrow in case it's something i'm doing! :( Otherwise i think i can live with it. They cost around £35, but i get a discount being "in the trade"! I don't know retail cost, i'll see if i can find out.
So, now just the boot changer. Has anyone got any advice on routing the cable? How easy is it to lift carpets etc in Alfa's?
All the best, Percy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Those controls dont sound right mate, get on the blower to the manufacturer and ask them what the hell is wrong with it.

Its easiest to root cables underneath the plastic door strips (on a 3 door at least) Undo the screws either end, work your fingers under the rubber strip covering the top and lift upwards. Theres already cables routed under these strips so there are some retaining clips which you can pass your wiring through aswell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts