Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently bought an '07 plate 159

I see it has the USB connection in the glove box, which from looking at other post means it will have blue & me, however neither the USB or Blue and me seem to work - I have inserted a USB, tried using the buttons on steering wheel (only the radio/sound buttons work)- I have tried resetting the system (disconnecting the battery) but this doesnt work

I am not too concerned about the blue and me but would like the USB to work

Does anyone have any ideas, is it possible someone has disconnected the blue and me and left the USB there? I have noticed that it also doesnt even play MP3 discs which is a pain !

The odometer is also flashing which i understand suggests there is a connection issue

Thanks, i have tried looking through other threads but cannot find an answer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it looks like a factory fitted head unit

I havent tried pulling it out, im not too confident with messing about with cars and wiring etc. Suppose i'll have to pull it out and have a look whats behind

Not sure if there is a seperate blue & me device or if its built into the head unit?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it looks like a factory fitted head unit

I havent tried pulling it out, im not too confident with messing about with cars and wiring etc. Suppose i'll have to pull it out and have a look whats behind

Not sure if there is a seperate blue & me device or if its built into the head unit?
I would guess it had a replacement head unit (probably because the MP3 discs didn't play or possibly because the Blue and Me had had it. The previous owner must have stuck the original head unit back in prior to sale and it's possible he didn't bother reconnecting the Blue and Me.

Whatever the reason, you won't know until you remove the head unit to have a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The wiring that you have shown is to the relatively standard head unit and is normal. The actual B&M unit is the black box that is under the radio that you have removed. Zero effect from steering controls and USB not working at all usually means that the B&M is dead. Normal cause of a completely dead B&M is a user attempting an software upgrade to a version that is later than the unit will support. Once that happens it is unrecoverable.

Yes the USB port is on the actual B&M unit. You can try disconnecting the battery fr 30 mins or so then reconnect and see what happens. After that try a USB stick direct in the port that you have revealed though I believe that port is only to be used for updates.

Being 07 plate yours is early version B&M and can only be updated to V5.6 of the software. Atempting V6 will, or already has killed it and is irreversible.

Well it could be reversed but you would need to remove the EPROM from the main board, find someone with a working early version and using an EPROM reader read their EPROM and then re-write your chip.

Easier to find a written off 159 and get the B&M from that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring that you have shown is to the relatively standard head unit and is normal. The actual B&M unit is the black box that is under the radio that you have removed. Zero effect from steering controls and USB not working at all usually means that the B&M is dead. Normal cause of a completely dead B&M is a user attempting an software upgrade to a version that is later than the unit will support. Once that happens it is unrecoverable.

Yes the USB port is on the actual B&M unit. You can try disconnecting the battery fr 30 mins or so then reconnect and see what happens. After that try a USB stick direct in the port that you have revealed though I believe that port is only to be used for updates.

Being 07 plate yours is early version B&M and can only be updated to V5.6 of the software. Atempting V6 will, or already has killed it and is irreversible.

Well it could be reversed but you would need to remove the EPROM from the main board, find someone with a working early version and using an EPROM reader read their EPROM and then re-write your chip.

Easier to find a written off 159 and get the B&M from that.
Thanks for the help, not what i wanted to hear :-(!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts