Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
114,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be moving to the UK later this year and I am wondering how it's possible to get my no-claim history here in Japan be recognised by a UK insurer, so to avoid getting hosed massively when buying a car.

Is it possible to get some document from my Japanese insurance company that can be used as a reference by the British insurer?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PS: I have a British license.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hey good news Bigfoot....I think

I'll check with our insurers today and get back to you re the NCB.

p.s Make sure you have had all your jabs for the UK :lol:, dont want to catch anything nasty do you?

Leigh

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Biggus Footus walking amongstus

:D

Be really cool to finally meet you if you do come back :thumbs: good luck with the inn sewer ants :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
When I moved to the UK ten years ago I got a letter certifying my no-claim status from my Australian insurer. Kept trying different UK insurance brokers until eventually one found an insurer that would accept it.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
quick Google search and Bennets seem to accept Aussie & HK NCB. With written proof. Could you get your insurers to give written proof in Engrish ? Do you intend to ship the Masser here ? Will call my broker here , when they open !
Good Luck .

·
Super Moderator
114,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I am probably not going to bring the Maser over but yes, I would try to get a paper from my insurance and perhaps get an official translation or something like that done.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Tesco's recently Insured a friend of mine, after he'd been working in Dubai for almost 10 Years, with all his No Claims Bonus, and an excellent price too. I'm also with Tesco, and they have been brilliant, can't recommend them highly enough in fact.....Might be worth a phone call, methinks.......:) :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:confused: ... but why do you need insurance ... none of the other illegal immigratants over here have it ;) :lol:

Hope you get it sorted nice a cheaply though :thumbs: ... have you got any idea yet of what you fancy replacing your maser with BF????

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Was thinking of a 159 SW. Need the space for the 3 kids's seats at the back.
Nice choice ... are you going to go for one that is powered by the black stuff??? ;)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hi Biggie

I have spoken to my broker who deals in all types of insurance products including motor - he is of the opinion that its certainly possible to transer overseas NCB.

1. The easy way - if you are insured by say AXA Japan and take a policy in the uk with AXA uk then transfer should just happen as they can trace your existing policy with NCB.

2. The not so easy way - If you use a Japanese Insurer without a presence in the UK, then it may be a bit more involved, docs, letters of confirmation, but again it should be do-able.

hope this helps

Leigh

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Thanks Stewart! Do you remember the name of the broker?
The name was Trident Insurance Brokers in Cheltenham. Just had a look but couldn't find anything to tell me who the actual underwriter was. Remember being aghast at the cost and difficulty of UK car insurance compared to Australia though. Sorry.

A

·
0 Posts
Might not apply to you BF but we have given employees letters to say they have driven company cars for X years claim free and they get their NCB when they insure in their own name.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Thanks. I am probably not going to bring the Maser over but yes, I would try to get a paper from my insurance and perhaps get an official translation or something like that done.
Footman James would recognise NCB with declaration from your current insurer + Engrish translation.:thumbs: Good Luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts