Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously beginning to think about biting the bullet and getting a dieseasel. After being a serious and profound "petrolhead", the fuel costs and economy are literally killing me.

I'm firmly stuck in love with Alfa Romeo, so I won't be changing altogether. I'm just after a bit of general advice on JTD's, i.e.:
Which is the best to go for - 1.9(16v) or 2.4(20v)?
JTD or JTDM?
What are the common problems with used JTD's?

I'm looking to have a rough (but realistic) budget of about £4000-£4500, or £2750 with p/x for my 156. I think i'll be looking at getting a nice face-lift 156, or if at all possible a 159 unless anyone tells me different.

Any advice please?

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
I'm seriously beginning to think about biting the bullet and getting a dieseasel. After being a serious and profound "petrolhead", the fuel costs and economy are literally killing me.

I'm firmly stuck in love with Alfa Romeo, so I won't be changing altogether. I'm just after a bit of general advice on JTD's, i.e.:
Which is the best to go for - 1.9(16v) or 2.4(20v)?
JTD or JTDM?
What are the common problems with used JTD's?

I'm looking to have a rough (but realistic) budget of about £4000-£4500, or £2750 with p/x for my 156. I think i'll be looking at getting a nice face-lift 156, or if at all possible a 159 unless anyone tells me different.

Any advice please?
Yes DON'T DO IT!!!

That £2,750 will buy an awful lot of petrol!
How long would it take to make that money back through better d****** economy??
And all the while you'll be stinking out the neighbourhood.

Wait for a new gen multi-air turbo petrol or electric coming soon:thumbs:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hate that word "electric". I hate electric cars more than dieseasels. They're false economy and just another fad to make us waste money. Don't start me on "electric".... it's bad enough even thinking about a diesel...:lol:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Yes DON'T DO IT!!!

Wait for a .......... electric coming soon:thumbs:
:cheese: Sorry, this just made LMAO. I don't especially disagree with your sentiment but there's another thread knocking about regarding Alfa's 5 year plan. I don't think they can make their mind up about whether to make or drop the idea of a SUV/159/166 new or replacement model or even when to actually sell the 4C we're all gagging for. There's no mention of electric AFAIK so Alan may be waiting a while for an affordable px unless he buys a 100k old Prius - and that's only hybrid! :cheese:

On a more serious note. If he is in the market to change we all expect to generally pay a bit more as it goes with the territory, so he's not being silly taking into account the broader impact of fuel costs. I'd rather have petrol myself but the last twohave had to be diesels to make any sense in my circumstances. Hang on as long as you can though Alan.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
I recently sold my 156 JTS after 2 years of 400+ miles per week. I'm currently driving a 1.2 Punto but I've put a deposit on a diesel Alfa. The new car will cut my fuel bills by a quarter. I didn't buy the new car to save money. I bought the car that best suits my needs when I fancied a change.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the general opinion is Petrol is still better? (Even though it's only a 2.0 twinny)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better at what?
Just generally "better". I am looking at economy at the moment, but i'm wondering about reliability and overall maintenance cost too as money is getting fairly tight.

The only reason i want to spend so much on one is to try and get a decent car, not some cheapo that will only last 6 months before needing a trip to scrap yard.

I can't stand the thought of getting a smaller petrol engine - it doesn't make sense. I'll use more petrol revving the engine until the valves pop out and dance on the bonnet until it feels ready to change gear.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
If you're looking at economy then obviously diesel will always win.

What's your current annual mileage?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're looking at economy then obviously diesel will always win.

What's your current annual mileage?
Well i've owned this twinny for 13 months and done just on 13k.
It's only averaging about 25mpg (just had thermostat done, which should improve economy, but not enough).

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
If economy is paramount then there's no real option in your price range other than diesel.

It's different but you get used to it and with the torque there's a usability argument for it too. Even the 1.9 isn;t that dissimilar to the torque from the 3.2 V6 petrol model. Nonetheless, I still find it really pleasurable trying a "willing" petrol car again for a few days.....until I visit the petrol station.

I don't know service intervals for whatever petrols you might be thinking about but in a 1.9JTdM 159 you're looking at 38-44mpg all conditions realistically and 21k service intervals with more residual value than a petrol. In hard cash terms it starts to make sense against a 2.2 petrol unless you do low milelages but if that was the case economy wouldn't be one of your key criteria and you said it was.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
i hate that word "electric". I hate electric cars more than dieseasels. They're false economy and just another fad to make us waste money. Don't start me on "electric".... it's bad enough even thinking about a diesel...:lol:
Please don't take me too seriously, I'm quite opinionated and tend to talk a fair amount of tongue -in-cheek b*ll*x:)

... but, electric or possibly hydrogen fuel-cell cars will be the way forward.
In the interim, the effort that was put into making diesels powerful and efficient will now be transferred to doing the same for the last(?) generation of petrol engines.
Every time I am behind a diesel being booted and see that cloud of evil black smoke - which is bad for all living creatures- I inwardly curse and shake my virtual fist:rant::tut::eek::rolleyes::lol::::)

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Well i've owned this twinny for 13 months and done just on 13k.
It's only averaging about 25mpg (just had thermostat done, which should improve economy, but not enough).
Personally, I don't think 1000 miles/month justifies the extra purchase cost of a diesel car.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Weight has a direct impact on fuel economy, you and the wife stop eating, you save money on food and on fuel and keep your car, everyone's a winner :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weight has a direct impact on fuel economy, you and the wife stop eating, you save money on food and on fuel and keep your car, everyone's a winner :)
what are you trying to say??? :lol::lol:

I know 1000 miles/month sounds very little - it probably is in the great scheme of things, but only being on £700 a month wages and my other half currently on unemployment benefit after just losing her job - times are taking a toll. I'm selling my "donorcycle" in an attempt to reduce costs...

So another question, not necessarily important but a key factor nonetheless:
What's the driving experience like in a diesel. I know i've heard that there is plenty of torque (and then some once remapped). But is it usable and accessible as the twin sparks 3k "cam kick"?

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
The difference in purchase price between a petrol and diesel late model 156 would be about £2000.

At 1000 miles/month the diesel would only save you about £50 on fuel/month.

Therefore it would take you 40 months/3.5 years to break even.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
The difference in purchase price between a petrol and diesel late model 156 would be about £2000.

Eh listen to Poindexter there.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts

My 82 year old neighbour recently spent £16k to replace his petrol Volvo V70 with a diesel V50 because he 'couldn't afford the fuel costs'.
I have my fingers crossed for him that he lives long enough for this to make economic sense:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts