Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New car magazine out today for subscribers. 4c review inside (not full test). Haven't fotten there yet but just glancing through and looking at the performance hatches due for release shortly shows how far the goal posts have moved since GQV came along.

New Black Series A45 AMG with 300kW out around 2016
RS3 with 264kW out 2015
Civic Type R will be the fastest front wheel drive ever around Nurburgring
Ford Focus RS due shortly with 2.3L Mustang derived turbo engine good for 246kW
Golf 7 R400 with 295kW out 2016
Hottest ever VXR Astra (OPC) due 2017. No power output stated.

Sooooo... Would the GQV even feature as "hot" with it's current engine? Granted, it is not the GTA variant we all wanted to see but if ever a GTA is reborn, Alfa better know where to aim before the goal posts get moved again...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that the GQV is meant to compete with the likes of a Black Series A45, RS3, Focus RS or Golf 7 R400. That'd be the job for a "Giulietta GTA".

On that list, the GQV's possible competitors are the Civic Type-R and the Astra OPC.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I can't see Alfa producing any hot hatch in the near future to challenge the cars mentioned....

·
Registered
569 Posts
For me as a relatively new Alfa owner I think so long as Alfa builds relatively fast cars with character all will be well. At the end of the day the car mentioned all lack a certain something, fast they most definitely are but none are what I would call stunner to look at.

Performance cars have become so quick these days they opportunities to use the performance are few and far between.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Out of those mentioned. The 265kw AMG is having engine problems. The Golf 7R is having turbo problems.The RS3 has a LC function but with a limit of 6 launches then it bakes the propshaft. The OPC had gearbox issues when released...so all that power hungry chasing really has its limits...Alfa will simply NEVER compete in those stakes...it released a TcT hatch with proper power 5 years after the DSG appeared in the Audi S3 and GTi models...lol...we are behind, we are better of enjoying GTA's and GTV's we have now.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If AR succeeds in building a lightweight, rear-wheel drive Giulia in late 2015, that'd be a perfect platform for turning into a FAST car (new GTA).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Go to a website called Carbuzz
They talked about a M3 rivaling Giulia in future:D

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What AR should do is take the new 3.0l V6 bi turbo engine they building and throw that in the Giulietta replacement.

Or push up the displacement of their turbo engine from 1750 to 2l and take the max power of of the 1750 (225kw or 300bhp) and apply that too a 2litre and you have an engine making 250+ kw. Throwing you right into the mix with these cars.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hah, well I'm pretty sure that drawing doesn't come from Alfa themselves - merely some random "artist" taking a Giulietta and lengthening and flattening it a little bit. That "Auto Express" website is notorious for just making things up. Attributing it to "inside information" is totally unconvincing.

If it does end up looking like that, I won't be a big fan.
I'm pretty sure the skunk works who have the task of designing the new Alfas will deviate pretty far from the Giulietta/Mito styling language, though.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could pit that 500bhp engine inside a brick and people will buy it for a million. But again I knkw Alfa wilk really have something beautiful in Giulia.

Also, look at the 147 and 156 with hidden rear door handles. Did that prevent Alfa from bringing out the similarly styled GT? So why won't a Giulia based coupe be on the cards?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I grew up with Alfas having 25% more power than the competition. Sorry everything in the current century is pathetic. It can't even match the competition.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Corrie that will mean getting used to Alfas being beyond our reach. Back in the day it was relatively easy for Alfa to reach economis of scale producing three engine types of various sizes for their different models. In fact in the 60's only the Nord engine was used to cover the full model line-up. These days to do that economically would be difficult. Remember that in the 60's Alfas cost much more than they do today, with Bertone GTV'S costing similar prices to Porsche 911's. I do agree with you though. Get the bean counters out and get the engineers in. Let them do their magic and see what comes out.

The last Alfa before the 4c and 8c to be engineered that way was the 916 and it is still a brilliant car 20 uears later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts