Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the Alfa Scene, Just bought a 159 1.9 JTDM with Blue&Me. I did some reading up and thought I would give it a go, however, for me, it is such a naff system.

I've decided I need to go for an after market HU. Again, I been doing some reading up about moving the Blue&Me module and keeping it connected so as to avoid the flashing mileage issue, however I have not been able to find any pictures of a re-located module.

Lots of people are suggesting there is space behind the glove box, has anyone got any pictures of this or any other place they have managed to stash it?

It would be great to see as a guide.

Thanks all.

Matt

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Much easier to remove from the plastic case (really, really easy to do), wrap in gaffa tape to insulate it, reconnect and slide between passenger side footwell and transmission tunnel under the carpet/trim that goes up the side of the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
When you commit to do this please, please, can you measure the voltage of the switch live on your ICE ISO plug? I am having problems because mine is at 4.5V and no-one can tell me if that is the same in all cars or if I have a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kandlbarrett,

Ah, hadn't really thought about that, is that what you did and have you any pics? Is it not a little unprotected with the case removed? ie in terms of impacts/vibrations/foreign objects etc?

Also, what issues are you having? I'll dig out the multimeter and have a check when I get stuck into this.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes that is where mine is placed. Quite a few other people have placed it exactly as I have described and the cable is long enough to reach. If you are worried make up a heavy cardboard pattern to place each side and double wrap in gaffa tape.

My problem is that with the CTSAR002.2 connected the head unit cycles on/off every two or three seconds. As the head unit is Android it doesn't even fully boot before it is switched off.

When I did some checking with everything disconnected from the multi plug (so no current being drawn nor possible to be drawn - except if there was a short) the Switch Live from my car is only about 4.5V. Permanent live is over 12V and all other switch live in the area (ASR and Hazard feed etc these both have a switch live) is 12V so it looks like design voltage on switch live on ICE ISO multiplug is 4.5V. But equally I think really.......?

With Android connected the Switch Live output from the CTSAR002.2 cycles between 12V and 4.5V so I am assuming that the current drawn by the head unit combined with my low voltage Switch Live is causing a thermal or overload protection circuit in the CTSAR002.2 to operate.

The question: is my car at fault or CTSAR002.2 or is it combination of both.

So can you disconnect the ICE DIN plug and measure switch live voltage on the ICE DIN plug direct from the car with nothing connected to it. I would be very grateful if you did.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This thread will help you.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...70-head-unit-stereo-upgrade-instructions.html

Note: some android head units do not follow the exact measurements of DIN and the adaptor surround won't fit. The Android unit is about 2-3mm too big to fit inside the hole of the surround. The surround can be opened up to fit but that takes patience and care. I understand that Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic etc, all strictly comply but you will pay a premium for a branded product and they may not be so flexible with installing your own Apps.

If you are buying Android read the specs. Get quad core and be wary that some will advertise GPS but don't have a SatNav app installed. Most downloadable SatNav Apps are now crippled that suck you into using G3 download as you drive or some other limitation that means you will eventually give up and pay for the premium product. For a self addressed envelope and included 8Gb Sim I'll can send you a free copy of iGO with Q4 2015 worldwide maps and POI.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Android in my wife's 159. Sun glare is cancelled when viewed from the driver's seat.

NOTE: this is dual core (mistake) that is OK but not a quick and smooth as my son's quad core in his 147.
NOTE2: did not have SatNav software installed. Thankfully the unit fitted to my son's car came with iGO and no restrictions on copying that. iGO is no longer available for end users and is only supplied to manufacturers.
NOTE3: it did not have front USB out. Not a problem for some, it has 2 rear USB leads that can be threaded into the glove box, but a mistake for me.

And all because my wife didn't want any rotary controls.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a delivery message to say my kit has arrived today so I will be attempting this in the next few days. The link you posted was very useful thank you, Think I'll be going behind the glove box with the Blue&Me so I can leave it in its case and maintain its structural integrity and protection. I'm not a fan of just "stuffing" things in places as a lot of threads suggest, if its worth doing its worth doing well!

I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a Pioneer AVH 280BT.

Moved the Blue&Me box to behind the glove box, just about anyway. I notice there were two other connections on the back on the box that the extension cable didn't cater for, any idea what these are for? I'm assuming they are MOST or something seeing as the Blue&Me menu in the instrument pack doesn't work any more!

Has anyone managed to extend these as well?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Mine only had a single lead which locks into position. No other leads on mine except the three plug sockets that go into the head unit. Do you have photos of the leads or connectors as that might help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies for the delay, been on Holiday.

I didn't get any pictures of the other cables as I was running out of light. Everything seems to be working so I'm not too worried. as the look like MOST cables I assume they were something to so with connecting to the display/navigation or such like.

Everything is in an working fine and it didn't miss a beat whilst driving around Europe for two weeks!

Located the Blue&Me underneath the glove box with a the help of a little sticky backed Velcro in the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I didn't get the chance! Was in a bit of a rush as was working outdoors in failing light!

Sorry again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts