Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the song thread.

And the reason I wanted to bring it up is for one specific film which got panned, but which I thought was close to perfect (in terms of what it was trying to do).

The A Team.

It played the nostalgia really well, the casting was perfect, it had great action and some really good humour. Sharlto Copley was brilliant as Murdoch.

I really wish it had been reviewed well enough to have ahd a sequel or two. I would have liked to spend more time with those characters.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Three Stooges movie of a few years ago. I thought it was done with great sympathy to the original Stooges. I enjoyed it immensely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any John Wayne westerns, particularly his US Cavalry trilogy (eg She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). They are panned for their political and actual incorrectness and attitude to Native Americans. Still good movies and I love watching the character actors like Ben Johnson, Victor McLaglan, Hank Worden etc.

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
Does watching films featuring known sex offenders fall within this thread?

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watched American Beauty on a flight to America, followed by Wolf of Wall Street. The attendant unfailingly came to me just as there was a nude scene of some kind. Must have thought I was a pervert.

Wolf, while in essence a great film, I hated. Entirely down to the utter smug arrogance of Belfort, and the fact that he's still getting away with exactly the same now - he's just conning people in a slightly different way.

American Beauty was gob-smacking, and with a perfect ending.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
On an Alfa/film related topic... I’ll hold my hands up to enjoying 6Underground which it seems much my surprise won’t be winning any Oscars.

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
I watched American Beauty on a flight to America, followed by Wolf of Wall Street. The attendant unfailingly came to me just as there was a nude scene of some kind. Must have thought I was a pervert.

Wolf, while in essence a great film, I hated. Entirely down to the utter smug arrogance of Belfort, and the fact that he's still getting away with exactly the same now - he's just conning people in a slightly different way.

I didn't hate Wolf of Wall Street as much as I expected to. I did hate it though. No plans to watch it again.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
I love a good Rom Com.

Sweet Home Alabama, Two Weeks Notice, As Good As it Gets. All firm favourites.

On a similar note - I have been recommending ITV's "The Durrells" as a box set to various people, many of whom have come back to say it's daft, soppy schee-ite. I like a bit of daft, soppy schee-ite so that must be why I like it, but clearly many others do not.

And of course - there is KUWTK which I know some people, extraordinarily, dislike - but which I love. One of my biggest wishes on my wish list is to meet Kim & Kanye and, more than anything, Scott Disick.

There's no accounting for taste.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
I didn't hate Wolf of Wall Street as much as I expected to. I did hate it though. No plans to watch it again.
I thought it was an excellent film, despite Jordan Belfort being an utterly heartless scumbag of the worst sort - and he's still avoiding repaying what the court ordered him to despite making money from his notoriety. And it has spawned plenty of memorable memes.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a brilliant film. But I felt dirty for having provided him with even more money by watching it.

Not as dirty as I felt when the flight attendant came by and offered me a drink while Spacey was giving himself a hand in the shower mind you. (During the other film, obviously.)

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Not as dirty as I felt when the flight attendant came by and offered me a drink while Spacey was giving himself a hand in the shower mind you. (During the other film, obviously.)
But you had paused it on that scene for half an hour so she had a point....

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But you had paused it on that scene for half an hour so she had a point....
It's not my fault they don't have a slow motion facility on plane TVs.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

American Beauty was a fantastic movie......Wolf Of Wall Street the first time I watched it I was disgusted by the whole premise......I now love it.....Di Caprio is superb in it though I detest what he stands for.
Every time it is on I end up watching it.....this scene is Di Caprio at his finest....and I am not really a fan of his

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I love a good Rom Com.
Liked My Best Friend's Wedding. Lots of clever bits, and made me laff out loud.

Wolf of Wall Street? Boring. Established di Caprio as a scamming scumbag early on and spent another hour or two repeating it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts