Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This oil has just come on the market here.

Any thoughts/experiences? Remember we have warmer climates here, especially the winter so a 20w can be used.

20w/60 in my opinion is better than 10w/60 sue to the smaller difference in grade.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
300V is a VERY good oil.

Years ago (about 25-years ago...!) we used to use Shell Gemini, which I'm sure was a 20W50.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just purchased some of this motul 300v 20w/60 oil but am a bit concerned now that it has no API ACEA standards.
It does say it's suitable for vintage cars though.

The Castrol Edge 10w/60 does have the API ACEA standards.

Think I should be ok if I change it withing 5000 kms no?

Then maybe try the Castrol with the international standards for street use.

:confused:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Response from OPIE oils:

The 300V is sold as a race/track oil, so Motul do not submit it for ACEA, API or manufacturer testing as it is an added expense for something that is not aimed at road use. However, based on their internal testing, Motul know that it would exceed many ACEA and API specs. They can't really say that though as it's not officially approved.

It's a very good quality oil, but as it's so thick, it's only suitable for a few applications. What would you be using it in?

Yes, it has a good detergency level.

Regards

Tim

OPIE OILS
Yes it is a thick oil for that reason I'm choosing it as my crank journals are on their limits of wear and need a boost in the hot summer weather.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know. I have 2 lots, 15w/50 and 20w/60.

Going to chuck in the 20w60 to see the results first.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Motul also state this:

300v: Can be mixed with another viscosity of same series to achieve most suitable viscosity for the engine.
so I have 2 x 20w/60 and 2 x 15w/50 300v cans.

As these come in 2 litre cans and I need about 4.25 litres, may just need to add a little of the 15w/50 to the 4 litres of 20w60.

Didn't want to fork out another fortune for another 2 litre can just for a little more.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it just me or do you look forward to putting in new cans of lovely oil into your alfa?

Got some lovely silver cans of 300v gold here and also Motul Gearbox reinforced formula MoS2 for my gears.

:cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good results guys.

My engine appears to like the 20w/60 so far.

Driving at speed the temperature was about 5 degrees less.

Also I had to reduce the idle rpm by about 250-300 rpm. ( should reduce petrol consumption)

Pressure at 3000 rpm was just about 50 psi even when pushing it really hard.

Idle hot mot much difference, only a few psi more. Maybe the gauge is not so accurate at low pressure, who knows.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
120 kms journey home in 30 degree heat with some traffic and the fans didn't come on once!

My engine/bearings are liking this oil very much.
Keeping everything cool as a good oil should do.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Do not get too hung up on API ratings. Mercedes, Porsche, Ford and Volkswagen to name a few are now using and recommend oils that exceed API ratings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts