Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anybody reading this who got some motorman manifolds from ebay,..

I got a set a few weeks ago, not got them onto the engine yet and will not be able to for a while as the sud is being painted ..

I've picked up from the threads that the quality can be a bit hit and miss with these?

can i ask, whos had good experience with them and whos had problems?
I just want a heads up on what to look out for / fix with them or if that bad should i chase for a refund?

any info at all please :confused:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Ive had minor problems with them but to be honest im pretty happy.

The take off's for the servo and the water temp sensor had to be drilled out and re-tapped as they were too small for the original 33/sud parts but they suited the 146 16v sensors that the donor engine came from so if you were changing the loom that might not be a problem.

I also had to retap one of the holes for mounting the throttle linkage as one was slightly off.

The biggest problem i encountered was that the carbs sit 30mm closer together than on the 8v engines so the throttle linkage had to be cut and re-welded and I'm currently modifying the airbox and airbox-to-carb manifolds so that i can use the original intake setup.

Access to the bolts securing the manifolds to the heads is very tight with the engine in the car so I'd advise that its done before you fit the engine.

I personally think he's getting a bit of a bad rap here (from my experiences anyway). Is there anyone else who can supply these manifolds? The only other one's I've heard of were plastic ones that needed serious work and I couldn't find those ones when i was looking to do my conversion.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Got those as well but I still havent started rebuilding my 16v engine for my sprint so it will be a while before I install them.

Just dont forget guys, its a modification. Its not an original part that is just bolted on and finished, so I'm expecting to run into some trouble, nothing too serious I hope

·
Registered
347 Posts
We've had to do the same as Fluffyduff though every carb mount has had to be reworked. There were tales on here about some being porous - I can't comment on that as we haven't run ours yet (probably won't until approx February).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Open question.

What's the advantage of these manifolds when the 16v already comes with a pair of twin 40mm Dellorto throttle bodies?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Open question.

What's the advantage of these manifolds when the 16v already comes with a pair of twin 40mm Dellorto throttle bodies?

Thanks,

Adam
These are to use carbs on the 16v.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Im not sure if they are any better/worse than throttle bodies, but Im very very fond of my carbs. Sticking them on a 16v has resulted in a good all round package for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Been thinking of carbing my 16v for ages and my friend has a set of twin 40 webbers just laying about, Is it hard to do? Heard its a bit of a job but gives good results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts