Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having problems with a 166 v6 sportronic,

tried cutting out the block connector off the throttle pot (usual suspect), didn't work.

Car will rev, but only if started and given lots of throttle, then it will rev but idle at 2000rpm

if you start and don't floor it, it wont rev, code reader says motorized throttle, and safety cut off.

Anyone had this? and what was the cure?

Help!!

(yes i know i should know this, but as i spend my life with cambelts and suspension, i am well out of practice with elec probs:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I had a similar problem, my dealer had it in and IIRC resoldered the connections at the pedal end. &50 well spent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
having problems with a 166 v6 sportronic,

tried cutting out the block connector off the throttle pot (usual suspect), didn't work.

Car will rev, but only if started and given lots of throttle, then it will rev but idle at 2000rpm

if you start and don't floor it, it wont rev, code reader says motorized throttle, and safety cut off.

Anyone had this? and what was the cure?

Help!!

(yes i know i should know this, but as i spend my life with cambelts and suspension, i am well out of practice with elec probs:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )
From a copy of Carreviews:

I was returning from a very wet Sunday watching the Caterhams race at Brands Hatch when just five miles from home the revs dropped and all power drained from under my right foot. Very bad words were shouted.

The engine icon warning light beamed brightly at me, and instinctively I popped up the bonnet and checked the oil level, fearing the worst. Thankfully the level was fine, so I decided to drive home. The 166 limped the last five miles at around 10mph ΂- a strange sensation as I had my foot to the floor just to achieve this mighty speed.

So that was that for a couple of weeks ΂- no more 166. I begged daily in the hope of a courtesy car from Perrys of Amersham, and in the end they crumbled with the onslaught of calls and gave me a 1.2-litre Punto for the second week. That'll teach me.

The 166 is 'drive by wire' and an element of the throttle system known as the potentiometer was the bit that had broken. It had to be ordered direct from Italy, and when it did finally arrive I was informed the whole dashboard had to be removed to fit it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts